Author Topic: ACM Revelations  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
ACM Revelations
« on: August 03, 2022, 08:25:18 PM »
I had an incredible breakthrough in my tactics today, what stories do y'all have of the same thing happening?

For the longest time I've been stumped on how to shake a bandit pursuing me and getting into a more even fight without letting him get free shots off on me. No matter which way I would turn they could shoot me up as I broke to the side/up/down.

Then, I was watching one of Growling Sidewinder's DCS videos, where he was dogfighting in a 1v1 with Dassault jets. He explained his tactic of forcing the overshoot by turning to the side, tightening up when his opponent went to pure pursuit to take a shot, then making a quick reversal into a barrel roll, dropping in on their tail to get a shot off.
So with that in mind, I went back to Aces High today. Whaddya know? I make a Corsair overshoot a few times before he finally beats me, and I do it regularly in my Seafire, with great results! My K/D is starting to do significantly better!

So, that was my latest ACM revelations, tell me about y'all's!  :airplane:
Turn n' Burn!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: ACM Revelations
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 09:12:00 PM »
You can shake a bandit close on your 6 by getting him out of phase with a flat or vertical scissors.  The downside is that they get a crossing snap shot each time you pass their nose so you want to go out of plane a bit to spoil the shot.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 10:52:18 PM »
You can shake a bandit close on your 6 by getting him out of phase with a flat or vertical scissors.  The downside is that they get a crossing snap shot each time you pass their nose so you want to go out of plane a bit to spoil the shot.

I remember a Burma FSO where I brought down a P-40C with a single 7mm MG in my A6M2 because I was able to pepper him every time he crossed my nose pulling a flat scissor. Took several passes, but he went down in flames.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 11:00:15 PM »
The hardest part is to be able to track the con through all of your views back to front. I havent been able to do that. That makes it deadly. Adjusting the tracking as he comes through so when he pops in front you just pull the trigger.

Drex was the best at this. The most dangerous place to be with him was on his six.....really.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 01:03:39 AM »
Those reversal techniques are a requirement here, you are never the highest con, so you need to learn how to play defensively first.  I learned the most from Bruv and he never even talked to me, I just figured out how he kept avoiding me and getting me in his sights even when I started with the advantage.  Now I always fly low because I have faith I can avoid 95% of the players and have a good shot at killing them from a disadvantage.  Its all about avoidance while keeping your E, but draining theirs.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 03:40:56 AM »
The hardest part is to be able to track the con through all of your views back to front. I havent been able to do that.

That's also my problem, visibility and views in general. One moment I see con, he disappears and seconds later parts start flying from my kite. No matter how I turn and rotate.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 04:34:57 AM »
Those reversal techniques are a requirement here, you are never the highest con, so you need to learn how to play defensively first.  I learned the most from Bruv and he never even talked to me, I just figured out how he kept avoiding me and getting me in his sights even when I started with the advantage.  Now I always fly low because I have faith I can avoid 95% of the players and have a good shot at killing them from a disadvantage.  Its all about avoidance while keeping your E, but draining theirs.

Nice post!  and same to FLS as well

Yes, keeping view of your opponents while dogfighting is a top priority, until you learn like muscle memory 😉 where they're at and what orientation of flight they are in when you do lose sight of them for a second

I  recommend learning the  Barrel Roll Defense, horizontal and vertical scissors and the rolling scissors.

The first 1 and last 1 I mentioned are my all time favorite moves to use on the unsuspecting...hahaha

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 06:47:56 AM »
Shooting where they should be though you have no vis on them and then seeing and or hearing the explosion is always a nice surprise  :cheers:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 07:53:14 AM »
Shooting where they should be though you have no vis on them and then seeing and or hearing the explosion is always a nice surprise  :cheers:

Eagler

Yes those over the nose (underneath your nose deflection shots are a blast..hahaha
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 09:26:05 AM »
I remember a Burma FSO where I brought down a P-40C with a single 7mm MG in my A6M2 because I was able to pepper him every time he crossed my nose pulling a flat scissor. Took several passes, but he went down in flames.

Which is why P-40 pilots were told never turn with a Zero, dive through them and exit.  Good shooting.  :aok

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 12:19:47 PM »
Which is why P-40 pilots were told never turn with a Zero, dive through them and exit.  Good shooting.  :aok

He had nowhere left to dive, we were just above the trees.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 01:17:43 PM »
A lot of novices, instead of flying a scissors that gets the bandit out of sync, will just reverse their turns early and give the shooter a better shot. If instead they keep turning until they get shot at, they'll be under the shooter's nose when they reverse.

Naturally, relative turn performance between aircraft makes a difference. This is easy to compare, just hold max sustained G at a low speed like 200 mph and see which aircraft can pull more. If there is a big difference then you know which tactics are suitable.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2022, 01:26:45 PM »
Defense is the Key to aces high if you don't like to fly the boring E style and run when people get on your 6.

The key to defense is timing, getting under the opponents nose, and execution of aim in the overshoot crossing shot.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 04:12:57 PM »
Just thought I'd pop in here and say this thread amuses me because I still remember when Redd took me into the DA one morning and showed me the barrel roll guns defense.  It was a real game changer for me as well.  It made the game much more fun to have a fighting chance all of a sudden.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 04:32:52 PM »
I spent years flying low as it was much more fun to be jumped and turn the tide. Was more fun for me because folks drool seeing a low 38.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)