Author Topic: Spins  (Read 3134 times)

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Spins
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2022, 09:36:56 AM »
Doing spins was standard for flight school in the late 1970's for me, too, in Cessna 152's.

By the time I got my flight training (2006-7) the FAA had removed spins from training requirements, on the theory that more people were getting killed practicing spins than were actually entering spins by accident.  I had one CFI refuse to teach me spins.  Fortunately I had another who was happy to do it (but a bit nervous until we actually started doing them).

I think the FAA was nuts to eliminate the training. 

- oldman

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2022, 09:48:48 AM »
Were there incidents of crashes from teaching sessions of that?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2022, 10:56:59 AM »
That is the other side of it. My aerobatics instructor told me about a time he was teaching spins to a new ppl student and the student froze. He just held the controls in place. My instructor had to hit him to get him to let go. I think they ended up going through minimum recovery altitude before he was able to get control.

I get where the FAA and TC are coming from but the point isn't just learning how to recover from a spin, it's developing that familiarity with unusual attitudes so if something weird does happen you don't lock up.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2022, 11:33:13 AM »
Mandatory Spin training in the U.S. was eliminated back 1949-1950.  Spin training is still required for Certified Flight Instructor candidates.

Most GA aircraft i.e. Cessnas, and Pipers will not stay in a spin if within CG limits due to their inherent design in stability.

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2022, 11:52:20 AM »
Mandatory Spin training in the U.S. was eliminated back 1949-1950.  Spin training is still required for Certified Flight Instructor candidates.

Most GA aircraft i.e. Cessnas, and Pipers will not stay in a spin if within CG limits due to their inherent design in stability.

Interesting. In Canada it was definitely part of the private and commercial flight tests in 2002-2005.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2022, 04:08:48 PM »

I have never flown any of the modern trainer type singles. If they will not stay in a low airspeed spin until corrected, I gather that they will end up in a screaming spiral dive. Seems to me that is likely to damage the airframe with speed and significant G stresses.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2022, 10:34:16 PM »
Recent....

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2022, 09:35:17 AM »
I found this video of a stable spin. It's quite clear that airspeed remains low and stable during the spin and requires no pilot input until recovery is initiated. Airspeed only increases during the recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI9T5m2eRJo
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2022, 10:38:15 AM »
150 aerobatic was my primary trainer like others here and am alarmed by the lack of unusual attitudes training.     
I trained it all and while under the hood

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2022, 10:26:36 PM »
A couple additional trainings I've always recommended to pilots, especially if they were my students, are an EMT program with someone like Rich or where I did mine at https://fightercombat.com/ ,  and the High Altitude Chamber training.

I've had real world experiences in both cases in a situations where the training kicked in and I was able to think... "Hey I remember this, and how to get out of it" 

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2022, 06:53:33 AM »
How does one get out of an upside down spin in a spit?

Saw one of those in MNM

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2022, 09:03:51 AM »

Saw one of those in MNM

Eagler

Use the ground

:rofl

Seriously the video I posted above was training in a twin. They accidently got theirs elves in a flat spin and impacted the ground flat.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 09:05:56 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2022, 09:04:28 AM »
That did stop that spit :)

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2022, 09:44:25 AM »
In USAF Undergraduate Pilot Training we spun the T-37 every which way but loose.  Every possible configuration was taught for spin recovery, clean, full landing configuration, single engine in each of those, and into the simulated dead engine & away from it.  Became almost routine and boring after awhile, sort of (except, we didn’t have the dramatic music playing).

« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 10:30:00 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2022, 10:21:14 AM »

Saw one of those in MNM

Eagler

Apply opposite rudder to stop the rotation of the spin and then apply elevator to reduce angle of attack. Do Not use ailerons.