Author Topic: Titanic  (Read 3769 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Titanic
« on: June 20, 2023, 10:47:49 AM »
I’m hoping the Titanic didn’t claim five more souls.
It doesn’t even seem like they know where it is.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Titanic
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 10:58:23 AM »
If the sub lost power and remained buoyant, it may be drifting. If it lost power and sank to the bottom before it reached the Titanic it may have drifted off before it reached the bottom.

Either way, It doesn't look good.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 12:44:12 PM »
I'm sure all of those rich folks that bought a ticket ($250,000 each) had to sign some type of waiver.  So it's all good.
They will be missed, just not by me.  :cheers:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 02:17:11 PM »
I'm sure all of those rich folks that bought a ticket ($250,000 each) had to sign some type of waiver.  So it's all good.
They will be missed, just not by me.  :cheers:

Coogan

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 02:26:40 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

No worries.  The rescue team is on the way.  :rofl

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 03:00:50 PM »
Must be odd to be that rich...

Bored to the point of this or riding the giant weiner rocket into the sky..hoping the entire time stuff like this does not happen..

Peace to their families

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 03:45:44 PM »
It has several ways of becoming buoyant, even without power. The problem.... if they are on the surface, they can get out and can still run out of air. The sub can only be opened from the outside by removing 17 bolts.

If they are on the bottom, it takes about 12 hours to do a round trip when they tour the Titanic. Most of that is going down and coming up.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 04:44:27 PM »
Must be odd to be that rich...

Bored to the point of this or riding the giant weiner rocket into the sky..hoping the entire time stuff like this does not happen..

Peace to their families

Eagler

If I had that kind of money it's what I'd spend it on. Space and deep sea exploration are the stuff dreams are made of. 
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 07:30:41 PM »
I would absolutely go in to space if given the chance. Bottom of the ocean not so much.

The more I learn about the sub the more I wonder why anyone would use it, let alone billionaires. I read the whole thing is controlled by a Logitech controller. Only comms to the surface (which is their only NAV support) is through short texts. And now I find out they have no way to open the hatch from the inside? Seriously.

It's not lost on me that there are 5 ppl who could die in the next couple days, if they aren't already dead. But there is some irony to the fact that 111 years later the Titanic may claim 3 more billionaires.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023, 08:58:55 PM »
They keep saying it 7 ways to get back up, sounds like a good indicator of a catastrophic failure tbh. Is SOSUS still operating? They probably picked it up.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2023, 09:28:59 PM »
Now I have heard the tiny view window on the sub was only certified for 1300 meters (because it was an experimental sub). That is just over 4200 ft. The window was designed by the same bunch that designed the experimental sub. They did not want to pay the cost of a window certified for the depth they were going to. After multiple dives, if that view window let loose, they would instantly die at those crushing depths (13000 ft).
80th FS "Headhunters"

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2023, 09:33:58 PM »
Now I have heard the tiny view window on the sub was only certified for 1300 meters (because it was an experimental sub). That is just over 4200 ft. The window was designed by the same bunch that designed the experimental sub. They did not want to pay the cost of a window certified for the depth they were going to. After multiple dives, if that view window let loose, they would instantly die at those crushing depths (13000 ft).

That seems like such a disparity between the rated depth and useage depth, that it would have failed on the first dive if it were the case.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2023, 09:40:05 PM »
That seems like such a disparity between the rated depth and useage depth, that it would have failed on the first dive if it were the case.

The window may have been stronger. They would only certify it to 1300 because it was an experimental. It was said a "certified" window could be manufactured for the sub, they just did not want to pay the amount required. I imagine one certified would be to some design that has been proven.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2023, 05:52:42 AM »
a couple stories I read this morning seems to indicate banging noises were detected and search locations being changed because of it.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2023, 08:47:54 AM »
Yes if you had the cash you too could do crazy things like this

I just wouldn't expect anyone but their family and friends lose sleep over it as they should have known the risks

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals