Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 36150 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1560 on: May 17, 2024, 11:20:52 PM »
Never flown a warbird but I've done spins in a Piper Tomahawk. It'll lose a wing before you expect it.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1561 on: May 18, 2024, 02:03:38 AM »
Never flown a warbird but I've done spins in a Piper Tomahawk. It'll lose a wing before you expect it.

Funny coincidence.  I deleted part of my previous post where I was going to reference my experience at the controls of a Piper Tomahawk & Cessna Skymaster as "...is so limited it has no bearing on my opinion of Sim flight models."
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1562 on: May 18, 2024, 02:19:40 AM »
This is what I'll be focusing on when I hop into it hopefully next week (waiting on the pro clip for the Track IR I bought).  I'm debating whether or not to buy FC3.  I kinda feel like it takes away from the very challenge I wanted to try.  But, then again, I might get in over my head and wind up buying it anyway lol.

Just so you know, you can buy FC3 planes one at a time for cheap.

I've been using TrackIR for decades.  If my better half could tolerate the noise... I'd use Tobii as I have big ears and hate wearing a headset.  So if I gotta wear one, might as well stick with TrackIR (and, I'm "almost" convinced it's Tobii that causes my random USB overvoltage shutdown BS).  Tried VR but it (at least was) such a toejamte-show I gave up.  I don't have the patience.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1563 on: May 18, 2024, 10:04:10 AM »
Funny coincidence.  I deleted part of my previous post where I was going to reference my experience at the controls of a Piper Tomahawk & Cessna Skymaster as "...is so limited it has no bearing on my opinion of Sim flight models."

Well the owner is very involved with warbird restoration and has had extensive stick time in them: https://fighter-collection.com/cft/tfc-aircraft-directory/

A. Types flown: Interesting ones  Gladiator, Hawker Hurricane IV & XII, Nimrod, Sea Fury, Hunter, Supermarine Spitfire Mk I, V, IX, XIV, XIX, Republic P47D, North American T6 Harvard II, Mustang P51C, P51D, B25 Mitchel, Grumman FM2 Wildcat, F5F-3 Hellcat, F8F-2P Bearcat, Boeing PT17, B17, FG1D Corsair, Curtis P36, Hawk 75, P40B, P40C P40M, P40F, Bell P39 Airacobra, P63 Kingcobra, Yak 11, Bucker Jungmann, Jungmeister, Fiesler Storch, Nieuport 17, Beech 17 Staggerwing, Pilatus P2, Mig29 2, Su 27…

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/questions-from-the-community-for-nick-grey-answers/6008

I wish all flightsim exported data out to Tacview.  That would be a good common format with good tools to quantitatively compare flight models.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1564 on: May 18, 2024, 01:05:21 PM »
Of course even a full motion simulator isn't going to provide sustained g forces from a hard turn. That will give a rl pilot a sense of when wing loading is about to cause a departure from flight.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1565 on: May 18, 2024, 04:20:23 PM »
Mission creating/editing in DCS. You know you want to.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #1566 on: May 18, 2024, 04:59:15 PM »
Mission creating/editing in DCS. You know you want to.

I make my own missions, but they are not elaborate as what Cpt Trips does. mine are fight each other missions, or helo jousting, Races. basic instant fun missions.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #1567 on: May 18, 2024, 05:29:42 PM »
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1568 on: May 18, 2024, 11:33:06 PM »
Guns only head on engagements are the most visceral entanglements and I've enjoyed setting many of those up with a cinematographer present. Of course any well trained military pilot will avoid this if their weapons platform has a stand off advantage. We'll assume all missiles have extinguished their foe prior to the up close and personal tryst.   

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1569 on: May 20, 2024, 12:59:01 PM »
Quick question... are the graphics on the training just terrible, or is that my settings?  I downloaded DCS yesterday and just hoppped in the T51 cockpit familiarization training and looked around.  It looked pretty bad lol
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 01:25:39 PM by Banshee7 »
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1570 on: May 20, 2024, 01:34:26 PM »
Quick question... are the graphics on the training just terrible, or is that my settings?  I downloaded DCS yesterday and just hoppped in the T51 cockpit familiarization training and looked around.  It looked pretty bad lol

Can you post a screenshot?  In cockpit and your  graphic settings page.

Caucuses is the oldest map.  Not quite as good as some of the others. And TF-51 is one of their oldest planes.

Looks OK on my machine.

My current settings.  May be default.  2-D display.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 01:49:52 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1571 on: May 20, 2024, 02:20:37 PM »
Try the free Marianas map and do a 2 week free trial of the more recent P-47 or Mosquito.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 02:37:28 PM by AKIron »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1572 on: May 20, 2024, 02:44:53 PM »
Something that causes micro stuttering for many is hot plug usb detection. You can disable it on the controls page or pass it through to the game with an argument on startup like I do. Actually that isn't an argument. It's a setting the autoexec.cfg file. I push an update to that file with the skatezilla launcher which made me misremember it as an argument.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 02:54:36 PM by AKIron »

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1573 on: May 20, 2024, 02:53:59 PM »
Something that causes micro stuttering for many is hot plug usb detection. You can disable it on the controls page or pass it through to the game with an argument on startup like I do.
Can you expand on this? I've heard others complain about such things in other sims.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1574 on: May 20, 2024, 02:57:37 PM »
This is specific to DCS only. Other sims may or may not have a way to enable/disable this.