Author Topic: Other sims  (Read 5622 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Re: Other sims
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2024, 11:10:52 PM »
AcesHigh has a superior way to make films, but I tried a bit for this one

Brilliant.

If a dev is smart, they'd rank their film playback/camera control/ recording almost as important as the sim itself.  It ought be be movie quality camera control capability.  That capability will pay back dividends 100 fold in hundreds of thousands dollars in free advertising by unleashing armies of film creators producing free advertising.

I need to give IL2 another try, maybe this winter.  The FM didn't strike me quite as good as DCS though and its hard to give that feeling up even though everyone admits IL2 has better MP.

I own them all I think.  Collecting dust in my Steam library.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 11:12:47 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2024, 11:53:19 PM »
Good flick! A nice edit despite the limitations.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2024, 08:58:20 AM »
Cheers chaps, it makes the time spend cursing at the damn thing worth while  :rock
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2024, 09:13:30 AM »
I too, installed this behemoth to give it a go but I couldn't figure out how to get to Sim mode. I ended up in that no realism, 5 minute furball thingie. It reminded me of AW relaxed realism except most were flying in 3rd person. It was terrible so I shut it off and told myself I'd study up on how to jump over all that crap and get to the full realism or Sim mode via YouTube and whatnot but I have yet to do it after 3 months. The working your way up through the plane set grind thing isn't appealing. Graphics were good and didn't tax my rig while the setup interface was very confusing and scattered. It took quite some time to get the joystick up and functional.
I don't want to grind through plane sets and "unlock" features with "credits." Let me buy the plane I want and let me just suck at flying it until I can finally kill something and I'll go from there. I'd rather pay a premium over nickel and dime grinding to the stuff I want.
I'll eventually give it another shot at some point but currently, I'm trying to re-learn AH and dipping a toe in IL-2 when I get time.

I find learning more than one sim at a time is kinda fubar. Too much to learn in each one. IMO one becomes jack of all sims, master of none.

Too much to learn, setup conflicts, idiosyncrasies and keeping them all separate. Too much work to ever become one with one sim.

Seems like a lot of test driving, but no camps setup. In these other sims it seems everyone is still learning, still kinda amateurs. Where in AH 95% have mastered the game and the fights are more in depth. Its more about battling over time consuming learning.

So I guess that puts me as a one track train. Doesn’t matter the sim/game. I want to master one rather than get a headache and disappointments on several.

In AH i can get up, find many fights, and get my Ya yas out. If I have time to enjoy the modern graphics that means not much is going on but sightseeing. Kinda like s kid with his first Playboy.

IL-2 is the closest to what I like, but again I’m of the MasterOneGameAtATime tribe.

Eye candy doesn’t mean a damn thing to me if I’m not dogfighting and dying.

If ya want to fly against and learn from the best AH seems to be the place to be.

IMO, to me, other sims are all wretch and no vomit.

Flying against solo AI AC is a turnoff. Thats for players who are more interested in graphics and cockpits than actually dogfighting. As if dogfighting is last on the list, AH its #1
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 09:27:15 AM by Animl-AW »

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2024, 10:41:06 AM »
Those of you who feel Aces High is superior to all other sims, ought to be on Hoggit making that case.  Hoggit is pretty much considered the epicenter for combat flightsim discussion at the moment.

Merely hiding in your echo chamber safe-space bubble, only preaching to your own choir, does nothing to expand your reach; and frankly smacks of fear of rejection.

BTW, there was a guy on Enigma's discord that I think I convinced to comeback to AH for another try.  Can't remember his handle now.  He had been a former player.  I was (gasp) praising AH for some of the things it does do better compared to DCS and Il2 and 1946 and he was reminiscing and said, "Man, if AH ever supported VR I might have to give it another try. "  So he was excited to hear that it had added it since he was last there and I made the case (which I honestly believe) that in my opinion AH in fact has one of the best VR implementation in the industry.  I know he downloaded the trial.  Don't know if he has gone online yet.  I suggested he get all his controls tweaks and get AI practice offline before going online and starting his trial clock.

Some of you people might try crawling out of your hermit shell a little.  There is a whole world out there.  There are things in other sims AH could learn from, and a lot other sims could learn from AH.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 10:45:43 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2024, 11:22:10 AM »
Those of you who feel Aces High is superior to all other sims, ought to be on Hoggit making that case.  Hoggit is pretty much considered the epicenter for combat flightsim discussion at the moment.

Merely hiding in your echo chamber safe-space bubble, only preaching to your own choir, does nothing to expand your reach; and frankly smacks of fear of rejection.

BTW, there was a guy on Enigma's discord that I think I convinced to comeback to AH for another try.  Can't remember his handle now.  He had been a former player.  I was (gasp) praising AH for some of the things it does do better compared to DCS and Il2 and 1946 and he was reminiscing and said, "Man, if AH ever supported VR I might have to give it another try. "  So he was excited to hear that it had added it since he was last there and I made the case (which I honestly believe) that in my opinion AH in fact has one of the best VR implementation in the industry.  I know he downloaded the trial.  Don't know if he has gone online yet.  I suggested he get all his controls tweaks and get AI practice offline before going online and starting his trial clock.

Some of you people might try crawling out of your hermit shell a little.  There is a whole world out there.  There are things in other sims AH could learn from, and a lot other sims could learn from AH.

Not much I can disagree with here.
But, from how you presented that site before, it just sounds like of flame fest. I doubt much actually gets settled or accomplished. Taking old graphics into a flame fest of modern eye candy could hurt more than help. Kinda what was done on Steam. A bunch of leap-froggers who spend 15 minutes in a game and think they are the authority of all games as they spend 15 min in another. Thats not the crowd we want. We got that from steam and commercials.

Its the adrenaline of the MA concept of AH other sims have a hard time beating, even with old graphics. I’m biased, but its always they have this, they have that, but always ends with AH has the most action fun.

Sad part about sims, not one has everything, always a hole in the design.

What it would take for full throttle bliss is if the top 3 sims merged, an MA would need to play a roll.

Totally agree with thinking outside the box/bubble. Why it doesn’t matter to me the views on a video if it’s all my own tribe viewing. I was hoping some would share good videos on outside sites. They do no good if they are not, at the mercy of YT searches,

During a long convo with HT, his big thing is he tried EVERYTHING to get people to play and is just drained on new ideas. That is what inspired me. I never throw in the towel.

AH has a lot of life, however its a biosphere, so contained its become cult-like. An isolated gem. One person like me trying to reach outside the box can only barely move the needle. Negative post snd lack if advertisement is our enemy.

Many are such doomsayers, negative, hopeless, that its hard to get anyone on board with anything. Ya just can’t post hopelessness on the bbs and expect outside readers to want to jump in. As I’ve stated, its demise lays in its own players, more so disgruntled former players spreading poison as designed.

Fly all sims, but it doesn’t matter to AH if they are not in the MA. Everything is based on MA numbers. Numbers breed numbers ESPECIALLY with AH, more so than other sims.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 11:42:30 AM by Animl-AW »

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2024, 11:39:53 AM »
Taking old graphics into a flame fest of modern eye candy could hurt more than help.

Which is one of the reason why trying to promote AH through cinematic videos is a complete waste of time.

Frankly, of all it's features, showing it graphically, no matter the editing, probably does more harm than good because that is absolutely not it's best feature.  It can not compete and actually is anti-advertising.

But merely hiding in your comfort zone, preaching to your own choir will also never add a single new play.  What you are really saying, is that you don't think your argument, that AH is superior beyond the surface level graphics, is as strong as you like to pretend it is.

Numbers can breed numbers, which is why some of us had suggested trying to learn from WT and how it uses F2P planes (you don't need to adopt micro-transactions) to maintain population critical mass while they are slowly converting F2P players to paying should be considered more seriously than it has.

But that just goes on a pile of ideas that get rejected out of hand and labeled not worth considering.  And nothing changes.  Ever.  Yet people expect the outcome to suddenly change and reverse trend on its own.  With no changes to anything.  As if by magic.

What you call being negative, others call merely being bluntly honest.  When the truth is negative, you don't shrink from it.  You face it.  In the history of mankind, blind wishful thinking and slavish submission to cult group-think has never solved a single problem. 

You can't solve a problem you won't admit exists, and a problem well defined is a problem half solved.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 11:48:14 AM by CptTrips »

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2024, 12:02:52 PM »

Which is one of the reason why trying to promote AH through cinematic videos is a complete waste of time.

Frankly, of all it's features, showing it graphically, no matter the editing, probably does more harm than good because that is absolutely not it's best feature.  It can not compete and actually is anti-advertising.

But merely hiding in your comfort zone, preaching to your own choir will also never add a single new play.  What you are really saying, is that you don't think your argument, that AH is superior beyond the surface level graphics, is as strong as you like to pretend it is.

Numbers can breed numbers, which is why some of us had suggested trying to learn from WT and how it uses F2P planes (you don't need to adopt micro-transactions) to maintain population critical mass while they are slowly converting F2P players to paying should be considered more seriously than it has.

But that just goes on a pile of ideas that get rejected out of hand and labeled not worth considering.  And nothing changes.  Ever.  Yet people expect the outcome to suddenly change and reverse trend on its own.  With no changes to anything.  As if by magic.

What you call being negative, others call merely being bluntly honest.  When the truth is negative, you don't shrink from it.  You face it.

Some half-truths here and both have mere opinions. Marketing is a science, and if anyone thinks they have all the right answers would also be a billionaire.

So your concept a seems to be show no videos only words? Many in marketing would very quickly disagree, no showing graphics and what they could look forward to and expect is dishonest. They come, the feel let down more so then if they were not built up with words. My videos are about the battles that exist, not the graphics. If I saw the video of an crowded event full of action I want to be a part of it.

Think about this. The first time many of us stepped into AW arena, it only took 10 min to get hooked for 30 yrs. The action of all humans had s as bigger draw than the graphics.

Neither one of us are totally right. Over confident in our opinions locks us down to not listen. A lot of talk/opinion, no one listening.

A man who believes he knows it all stops learning, because in their opinion of themselves they already know it all.

This is why meetings and boards exist, more ideas than just one man thinking.

Neither of us is wrong nor right.

If its a great idea in that form then take responsibility for the idea and do just that. Implement your own ideas. When we see positive results, we’ll join in. Just sayin, no offense.

Reality.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2024, 12:15:54 PM »

If its a great idea in that form then take responsibility for the idea and do just that. Implement your own ideas. When we see positive results, we’ll join in. Just sayin, no offense.

I don't have the source so my ideas can't be player implemented.

As far as evangelism, I call it like I see it.  I spend as much time discussing AH's flaws. 

And I have to admit up front, that I myself don't have an active account.  There are legitimate reasons for that.  One of which is that just after 20 years I got bored.  Regardless, that greatly weakens my argument. 

The evangelism needs to come from those who are active account holders.  It is a weak argument for me to tell people the subscription might be worth it to them, if I'm telling them it isn't actually worth it to me at the moment.  And if those who do have an active account can't be bothered to lift a finger to go out and spread the word, why should anyone else bother?

But I get it.  It feels safer to just preach to the choir in the bubble and give each other high-fives every time you insult other sims that are still growing and expanding.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2024, 01:39:09 PM »
There's another by the same guy for OpenXR games called XRNeckSafer. It's more polished than VRNeckSafer working more like TIR does. Thing to remember is--the apps aren't interchangeable. VRNeckSafer ONLY works with SteamVR, XRNeckSafer ONLY works with native OpenXR games (DCS is one of those) or OpenComposite which "tricks" Steam games into using OpenXR although OpenComposite isn't compatible with every game out there. Unfortunately, AH isn't compatible with that. I've used VRNeckSafer with AH but something happened with an update somewhere along the line that messed it up. Haven't messed with AH in a while so havne't figured out what it was.

I'm going to pass this along ... Damned Renegade has Been having a heck of a time getting VRNeckSafer to work in DCS, and he is getting old and rickety.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2024, 01:56:23 PM »
I don't have the source so my ideas can't be player implemented.

As far as evangelism, I call it like I see it.  I spend as much time discussing AH's flaws. 

And I have to admit up front, that I myself don't have an active account.  There are legitimate reasons for that.  One of which is that just after 20 years I got bored.  Regardless, that greatly weakens my argument. 

The evangelism needs to come from those who are active account holders.  It is a weak argument for me to tell people the subscription might be worth it to them, if I'm telling them it isn't actually worth it to me at the moment.  And if those who do have an active account can't be bothered to lift a finger to go out and spread the word, why should anyone else bother?

But I get it.  It feels safer to just preach to the choir in the bubble and give each other high-fives every time you insult other sims that are still growing and expanding.

Well, stop squinting your eyes, you don’t always see clearly.  Lole I said before, sat in at my job to talking head semi ars I have to sign NDAs for. Many times they speak of great ideas, they thought hiw can it not work, and then it flops on its face. The goal post is constantly moving, wrong audiences are approached, ad was inferior. These people from all over the world pay 2-3 million to have meetings and semi ars to figure out, what went wron, ehat went right, and who has the next idea. Ya kinda contradict yourself ehen saying videos are free advertisement, followed by don’t show them.

You guys are a good example of over-selling a product. You keave key valid issues out. This builds someone up, then when they find out what was nit mentioned they are more let down thsn if they just stumbled on it and heard nothing.
 The new customer is not as valued as the return customer. Building them up for a let down has wirse results in the long run. Its when its better than they thought are the ones who return.

My making cinematic videos is a hobby that causes no harm. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

We will never have 500 in an arena again, but 200-300 is better than 90-112. Its not the holy grail. And firmer player will have 90% negative things to say anyway. Not great consultants.

<shrug>

I’m not putting my name on someone elses questionable ideas, thats their job.

Why would I take an idea from someone who admits to slamming AH most of the time? Thats bat-sht-crazy
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 02:01:07 PM by Animl-AW »

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2024, 01:58:03 PM »
Well, stop squinting your eyes, you don’t always see clearly.  Lole I said before, sat in at my job to talking head semi ars I have to sign NDAs for. Many times they speak of great ideas, they thought hiw can it not work, and then it flops on its face. The goal post is constantly moving, wrong audiences are approached, ad was inferior. These people from all over the world pay 2-3 million to have meetings and semi ars to figure out, what went wron, ehat went right, and who has the next idea. Ya kinda contradict yourself ehen saying videos are free advertisement, followed by don’t show them.

You guys are a good example of over-selling a product. You keave key valid issues out. This builds someone up, then when they find out what was nit mentioned they are more let down thsn if they just stumbled on it and heard nothing.
 The new customer is not as valued as the return customer. Building them up for a let down has wirse results in the long run. Its when its better than they thought are the ones who return.

My making cinematic videos is a hobby that causes no harm. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

We will never have 500 in an arena again, but 200-300 is better than 90-112. Its not the holy grail. And firmer player will have 90% negative things to say anyway. Not great consultants.

<shrug>

OK, genius.  Let me know when you have 300 players back in the arena.  I'll open an account.

Heck, let me know when you reliably hit even 250.

But without changing something, nothing will change.  Good luck with that.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2024, 02:57:49 PM »
Wait a minute. This thread is about "other sims". Talking about Aces High is off topic.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2024, 03:04:27 PM »
Helping a coworker get started in DCS. Yes, I still work a few hours a week from home. FWIW I told him about Aces High too. He isn't interested. Youngster though, only 47.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2024, 03:10:53 PM »
Wait a minute. This thread is about "other sims". Talking about Aces High is off topic.

He's just skimming. ;)