Author Topic: SuperBowl Anti-drug Commercials  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
SuperBowl Anti-drug Commercials
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2002, 08:03:14 AM »
StSanta, surely you agree that some drugs are dangerous? And that the use of those drugs should be controlled?
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2002, 08:07:41 AM »
Gunthr: Absolutely. I just differentiate between drug control and a complete ban on drugs.

I think it is reasonable to figure it out on a *scientific* basis, rather than on a political one. There are drugs that are dangerous not only to the user, but more specifically to his surroundings - during the time he is affected, but also even after a relatively short time of use.

Those drugs that do not adversely affect society overall should be allowed - in fact, one can argue that some drugs *help* in society as much as they destroy. I know of plety of people who wouldn't have girlfriends/boyfriends had it not been for the magic touch of Alcohol :).

What I am saying is: let's be reasonable and rational about this. I don't advocate legalizing crack or something like that: I ain't an extremist.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2002, 09:27:56 AM »
Ok. Just checking ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2002, 10:10:57 AM by Gunthr »
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2002, 09:59:18 AM »
Heroin use is at a all-time high in US history, and my wife will account for that, as she works at an emergency room for a big city.  I think the commercial if it *had* to tell you which drugs, was referring to the opium and cocaine products that enter this country.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2002, 10:03:10 AM »
Originally posted by Soviet

The only drug that i slightly agree with is Alcohol.  I mean if you can take it within the limits and sparingly it hardly affects your body at all but if your gonna be a bastard and get drunk........

Cigarettes are bastards cigars i've lost too many family member to them and support banning them.

and how the hell is Coffee a drug? agreed Caffeine is a stimulant and is mildly addictive but it doesn't affect you besides some minor things.

But to say pot is ok is totally retarded, i mean when I was in High School it was amazing the amount of people who did it, i felt like killing everyone who did because they were hurting themselves.  The gayest thing was how everyone was like "Ohh look at me i'm smoking weed i'm soooo cool now" i mean STFU.

you gotta be the biggest world class idiot i've ever read. i'm fully convinced that no one is blinder than you.

alcohol hardly effects your body???? ever had a hangover? ever wonder why drunk people puke?  did you know you can DIE from alcohol poisoning but no one has ever died from marijuana poisoning?

did you know alcohol is addictive and marijuana isnt? if you think alcohol "barely" affects the body in moderation, they what the HELL do you call the effects of marihjuana?!?! harsh?!?!?

some idiot said:

" i felt like killing everyone who did because they were hurting themselves"

you felt like murdering people because they were hurting themselves? ummm.... but you are ok with the millions of alcoholics roaming around? why cuz'n the television done said it was okie dokie you you moron tool? pleaseee....

you don't think caffeine is a drug?!?!?!?!?!?!

you are sooooooooo programed that you think a substance only qualifies as a drug if it's illegal.

hey sheep-bot, ask a cardiologist if caffeine is a drug (that's a heart doctor so you can save a dictionary trip) and see what he says.

you sure do want to 'kill people' an awful lot. you would drive right past a bar full of slobering drunk driving idiots just to go murder some guy smoking a joint.

a bunch of people rotting their livers is ok with you or getting beligerent losing their tempers and whoopin on people every time they get e sip but god for bid someone should light up.

i dont like you idiotic murderous threats i dont think its one bit funny to threaten to kill someone and if you feel like killing anyone you can come start with me tough guy.

dont forget your diddlyin army.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2002, 10:13:03 AM »
It gladdens me to see that I'm not the only one in a bad mood today. :)
sand

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2002, 10:15:22 AM »
Mr Fish, what are you smoking? Calm down, have a drink ;)

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2002, 10:27:37 AM »
Please, point one country where alcohol is legal?

Any?

No, it isnt legal if its illegal for underaged, get it? Coffee or sugar can be claimed to be "legal" substance, since its use, sale or manufacturing doesent have any special laws controlling it.
I dont know anybody, who would want pot to be legal, but i know plenty, who wants it to be treated as other partly legal addictive and harmfull substances, like tobacco or alcohol.

There isnt a single working argument against it as long as tobacco and alcohol arent applied by the same drug laws, as pot is.
Btw, if complete prohobition is better policy, than partial legalization, then tell me why US has almost the WORST drug problem in the world. Shouldnt the Dutch be in that situation with its relaxed attitude for drug use? Can you explain me reliably, why this isnt so? Why aint the prohobition cutting the drug use, like its claimed to be doing. You know, US has more marijuana users per capita, than Dutch.

HOW CAN THIS BE POSSIBLE IN COUNTRY WITH NEAR NAZI LIKE DRUG POLICIES? Shouldnt US have almost zero drug use rates?

Prohobition can be reasonable only, if it produces good results, but so far it havent made a single one. In fact, quite opposite, ie. Osama is just like Al Capone, using extremely-wanted-substance-prohobition for getting big bucks.

If your government doesent offer a legal way for you to buy the drug, thus "forcing" (quotes, since the only "have-to" in life is dying) you to buy the drug from black markets, then your government is supporting the black markets, not you. Its that simple.:o

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2002, 10:28:01 AM »
Soviet, it's incredible how poeple can be so gullible(sp?)...

Must be alcohool makes you a violent dude...on a messageboard :rolleyes:

It's not forbidden because it's dangerous, it's dangerous because it's forbidden(Tm)
. (this quote about sums up my opinion on the matter)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2002, 10:43:07 AM »
gotta love the druggie justifications :)

hey, the commercials weren't aimed at you stoners, just like the truth commercials and the dying rat wasn't aimed at the heavy cig smokers, both laugh at anyone trying to change THEIR lifestyle :rolleyes:

It was geared toward the youth who are under enormous peer pressure to try the toejame. I see it as one more arrow in their quiver of sobriety...

as for the stoners, keep tellin ur self it doesn't effect your life, ur memory, concentration, life choices and go clean ur bong :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2002, 11:22:40 AM »
I can't believe I'm saying this... but I agree with DejaVu.

I thought the commercials were on the money, and are probably a lot more effective than parental guilt could ever be, considering the national fervor which has infected everyone these days.

I don't give a toejam what people do to their own bodies - as long as it doesn't affect me or those that I care for - but the trail of narcotics and cocaine leads back to people that I don't think any true American would want to support.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2002, 11:29:14 AM »
War on Drugs = War on Liberty

I didn't have a problem with the commercials though.  If somebody is stupid enough to believe that smoking pot supports terrorism, then they probably SHOULD lay off the weed.  :)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2002, 11:31:00 AM »
i felt like killing everyone who did because they were hurting themselves. The gayest thing was how everyone was like "Ohh look at me i'm smoking weed i'm soooo cool now" i mean STFU.

Seek Psychiatric Help

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2002, 11:31:29 AM »
Seems people are getting more wrapped up in justifying or critiquing use.  To be honest, I don't care if a person uses drugs or not... that's their choice.

This topic should pertain more towards supporting something (financially) that has to be run on a black market level.  Anyone wonder why the IRA moved to drug trafficing when donations started to dry up?

There's big money to be made in the drug market.  Money that has to be hidden somewhere.  You can argue that legalization would eliminate several concerns here... but you CANNOT argue that money is currently going towards many of the areas described in the commercial being critiqued.

AKDejaVu

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2002, 11:56:14 AM »
The fallacy you were thinking of AKDJV (""well... what about them?!") is either an ad hominem/tu quoque or a red herring.
the fallacy in these commercials is suppressed evidence.  The reason why criminal organizations trade in drugs is that they can make artificially high profits thanks to the US's "War on Drugs".  Either they find countries (like the US) where drugs are illegal and set up a de facto "second government", or they go someplace lawless, and run things from there.  That's nasty stuff.

If you want to run commercials telling kids that cigarettes, alcohol and drugs are bad for them, great.  But the nobility of the message doesn't justify lying to them.  Quite the contrary: the moment they realize they're being lied to is the moment you've lost control.