Author Topic: SuperBowl Anti-drug Commercials  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
SuperBowl Anti-drug Commercials
« on: February 03, 2002, 11:05:40 PM »
Anyone catch the commercials about how drug money is funding terrorist activity in the U.S.

Gimme a fargin' break...

It's a failed program. How low can they go?

"You know... if you smoke marijuana, you just might be contributing to the deaths of thousands from terrorist attacks."

You know... they all forget. Our parents tried that guilt toejam when we were teenagers.

It wasn't true then and it isn't true now.
sand

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2002, 12:18:33 AM »
yeah who buys crappy imported weed anyway? no tellin what they did to it and it smokes like cardboard and smells like gas or something...

you oughtta know what you're getting and who it comes from anyway.

"san francisco fat smiley hippy growers: where organic patriotic pride goes into every stinky ounce..."

that's what i'm sayin ;)

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2002, 12:49:59 AM »
Okay:
US policy makes these drugs illegal.  Because of that, Latin American goventments stay out of the drug production business.  Therefore, "secondary governments" produce them.  The same holds for hte poppy-growing regions like Afghanistan.

Hehe it reminds me of a Reagan 80s news item I saw: wooden cases of freeze-dried weed being shipped with the slogan "Help smoke the Russians out of Afghanistan!"  Yeah right.

So now US citizens are to be blamed for the geopolitical results of their government's oppressive policy towards them?
give me a break.
(and, uh, no, the last time I did illegal drugs was so long ago, I could get a pretty good security clearance)

But as amusing as the drug commercials were, the tobacco ones were even better.
Here they are, they've got an easy target: an extremely addictive drug that produces a buttload of nasty medical sideeffects (BTW potheads, smoking dope does too -- and I've experienced a couple of them -- we just don't know what they are, 'cos our Gov't refuses to fund studies to find out), is one of the most physically addictive substances on the planet, and yet they decide to tell half-truths.  Cyanide?  Arsenic?  Sure, but if you've ever burnt the toast, you've exposed yourself to that.  How many smokers do you know who've died due to Cyanide poisoning?  Uh, dude, to get that kind of concentration of the toxin, there's that small asphyxiation thing that intervenes first.  Over a life time?  Geez guys, emphysema and lung cancer aren't nasty enough that you have to make up lies?
---
Ultimately, if you're trying to steer kids off drugs, you're doing a noble thing.  But if you do so by lying to them, the moment they realize you're lying is the moment you've lost all authority in the matter.  In my lifetime, I've smoked a couple cigarettes; I don't buy them regularly, and my consumption of tobacco is hardly measurable.  But I saw these commercials with someone who'd never smoked, and after seeing such BS, he turned to me and said "these commercials make me feel like smoking."

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2002, 12:51:21 AM »
LOL!

I knew when I saw those commercials that a thread would start here explaining that the drug trade really isn't that bad.

I'm sure none of the money nor drugs anyone here buys/sells ever contributes to anything bad.  Never.  Its just good clean wholesome fun and nobody ever gets hurt.

AKDejaVu

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2002, 12:59:41 AM »
Plenty of people get hurt, maimed and killed every day... with the help of alcohol.

It doesn't stop Budweiser from displaying commercials during the Superbowl.

It's called hypocrisy.
sand

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2002, 01:02:50 AM »
Sure sandman.. anything to relieve the conscience..  Though, I must say, even that sounds quite contrived.

I was just talking with someone the other day that told a "well... what about them?!" story.  We all sighed at how using that card always makes the person look so stupid.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2002, 01:03:17 AM »
Drug dealing is OK because drug dealers are economically disadvantaged and such. Oh yea root cause or something or other , yep uh something......  Its not their fault society let them down....  :rolleyes:

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2002, 01:39:53 AM »
Any drug users/dealers/trafficers should be taken out back and shot....... Rid the world of bastards who do drugs.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2002, 01:42:50 AM »
Originally posted by Soviet
Any drug users/dealers/trafficers should be taken out back and shot....... Rid the world of bastards who do drugs.

i'll drink to that! (since alkihol aint a druug n' naither is cigumarettes or cawfee)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2002, 01:50:26 AM »
Personally, I don't give two red cents about pot.  Who freekin cares anyway?  Hell it's damn near legal in most places, a misdemeanor unless your caught selling.  But, it's a known fact that the Taliban (ie: Al-Queda) did most of thier financing through opium and smuggling of other hard-core drugs.  Gosh, I suppose they made all thier money selling to Haji the local farmer?  Naaa, I'd say they sold it to whats most likely the highest bidder...the good ole USofA (Britain too according to the information available, if not moreso)
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2002, 06:01:25 AM »
I thought the commercials really hit home. It they stop a kid from starting or get a head to think twice, maybe even stop before he centers his life around the toejame, they did their job and got their message across.

If you don't think they are true, you're just fooling yourself ....

Sober ain't so bad .... try it, you'll like it :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2002, 06:29:05 AM »

The only drug that i slightly agree with is Alcohol.  I mean if you can take it within the limits and sparingly it hardly affects your body at all but if your gonna be a bastard and get drunk........

Cigarettes are bastards cigars i've lost too many family member to them and support banning them.

and how the hell is Coffee a drug? agreed Caffeine is a stimulant and is mildly addictive but it doesn't affect you besides some minor things.

But to say pot is ok is totally retarded, i mean when I was in High School it was amazing the amount of people who did it, i felt like killing everyone who did because they were hurting themselves.  The gayest thing was how everyone was like "Ohh look at me i'm smoking weed i'm soooo cool now" i mean STFU.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2002, 06:30:28 AM »
Raise your hand if you'd like to look across the living room to see your teenaged son or daughter smoking a fat one.

What, no hands? Didn't think so.

Nope, I don't drink either- unless you count diet coke. Not that drinking is the end of the world, it is legal and therefore does not contribute to black markets.

Maybe it is hypocracy to legalize alcohol and not marijuana, but facts is facts. Trying to keep kids off drugs seems like a good idea, as is trying to keep them off tobacco, alcohol, promiscuous sex, etc.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2002, 07:36:31 AM »
I don't think the government should remain silent on the issue of substance abuse.

The impact it has on our society is pretty stunning.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2002, 07:57:36 AM »
Heh, if standards are good, double standards must be twice as good.

Medicine - that's a drug. Lots of misuse of that. Lots of legitimate use as well.

I don't get the anti-drug people. I'm not some punk who robs old ladies and piss my life away. I rarely drink. There are other drugs I prefer, and sometimes use.

Telling me that I should be shot for having preferences other than alcohol all the time is being a bit silly. Perhaps people with such strong views should be shot themselves - they could even do it themselves :D.

The hypocricy of allowing alcohol and cigarretes while disallowing less harfum drugs reeks of a pungent odour of politicians-who-want-power-and-control
-over-you-because-they're-twats-who-aren't-enough-in-themselves-and-cannot-even-get-a-blowjob-from-a
-GOOD-looking-intern. It's stupid, and silly.

And Kieran, I agree. But, I ain't a kid. I'm a responsible adult. One who has to deal with the lowest of the low, enter high risk areas just to get some pot. Because alcohol makes me depressed, where pot makes me relax.

Alcohol is illegal to kids. Pot is illegal for everyone. I'd wager half a months pay that alcohol overall results in higher level of aggression than pot, and many more deaths.

So, surely something can be done? All the concerns raised about pot can be directly applied to alcohol, and when that is done, it is a hard to seee how one can be legal and the other not.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2002, 08:04:20 AM by StSanta »