Author Topic: Yo! What Happened To HT's Vision?  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
Yo! What Happened To HT's Vision?
« on: May 28, 2000, 02:07:00 AM »
In the thread "I hope we'll never have an EZ mode" I saw the following post by Pyro which contained some very disturbing verbage which IMHO "could" indicate a shift away from the direction indicated on their home page which is also quoted below.

The issue was something called EZ-Mode which I'm against primarily because as was posted elsewhere I know squat about this issue, but as was also posted in that thread, it will cause suspicion and tension if mixed in the same arena.  The problem really isn't EZ-Mode or any other programming issue.  The problem for me is what does this shift in company phylosophy mean to us as customers?

The quote from Pyro;

We don't know what we're going to do in terms of an "easy mode". We will be doing more in that area, we're throwing money away if we don't. These types of games don't survive on old-timers alone. You need a constant supply of fresh bodies coming in to keep things going. Some people talk about this like it's a bad thing when it certainly isn't. A bad thing is not getting enough players into the game. Just because you or I took our lumps and persevered through difficult learning curves doesn't mean the average player can or will.

and taken from their own pages, what appears to be their original philosophy......

HiTech Creations was founded with a simple philosophy by Dale "HiTech" Addink in 1999. It's not to create a large corporation, a vast gaming network, or a line of online games. It's just to create one game, but one that is better than any other like it. Contrary to most companies, our goal is to keep the company small. We know that with a singular focus and an experienced cohesive team that enjoys its work, the production, service, support, and overall level of satisfaction will be unmatched.

The original philosophy is what attracted me away from my old sim. After a year of flying the old sim I was totally turned off by what appeared to be a total disregard for their customer base. I came to AH more than willing to pay 3X as much because of what I read into the statement immediately preceeding and what I saw in the involvement of the management in the rooms themselves. Now, from that post and a couple of others from Pyro in the subject thread, it's quite evident that there's trouble on the home front. The money monster has reared his ugly head enough for Pyro to publicly state
"These types of games don't survive on old-timers alone"

(I think a lot of good loyal customers would be taking exception to this statement)

Needless to say, it's their company and they can do whatever they want but I would sure like to know if my $30.00 a month investment isn't going to be negated by suddenly finding that business concerns have forced them to water down AH to a degree where it becomes the same kind of sim that I could get for 1/3 the money.

My suggestion would be that if things are tough then stick to your vision to keep it pure and good and if necessary go for the masses with $9.95/month pricing.  Yeah!, I know you said that would never happen but as you can see above, things do change.

Hope things work out.

Beeg

Beeg

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2000, 02:22:00 AM »

Thats why I started that thread, Beegerite.
I'm sincerely worried. I'm worried for the "Late War Monsters Rush" as well. Time will tell what is better for us. So far I like AH.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline -sudz-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2000, 02:34:00 AM »
It's too soon to be raising the alarm on this issue.  If something does happen along the lines (not exact implementation, mind you), I suggest we take a look at how it's structured and then cry foul if we don't like it.  

I'll bet the Navy will come along before anything's done on this so keep happy with the game as long as it's good for you (as it is with me) until Pyro posts something ALOT more specific.

-sudz-

Greg 'wmutt' Cook

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2000, 02:37:00 AM »
I'm not an ez-mode fan. I think if we had an ez-mode that would be another excuse taken away from me as to why I suck    But possibly what they are talking about are more features like the auto-takeoff mode and the like.  I don't think any FM sacrifices would be made by these guys.
The vision might not call for a large corporation, but it does call for putting food on the table, and I'm for anything that will improve HTC's bottom line as long as it doen't affect my fun  

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2000, 02:42:00 AM »
 If you read any of my posts, on that thread. you know im not crazy about the idea of mixing it into the main arena. But as far as vision is concerned. You only have to look at the numbers to see we are not growing our fighter pilot ranks in leaps and bounds. This is a business. and they may have to adapt. I would just say, if thay handle this wrong, they might be throwing the baby out with the wash.

Offline axe

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Fortress/4654/
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2000, 03:28:00 AM »
I think exactly as Gatt!
mixed reality & mixed era planes in the same arena...will produce a general escape toward other morer serious flying simulations, included me.....   !

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2000, 03:57:00 AM »
Just advise 12 y.o. newbies which planes are close to EZ mode.

Spit V and surely Zeke will be closest you can get to EZ mode. It already feels like 2 different sims  

If they want to try the Typhoon, let them work for it.

------------------

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Hristo (edited 05-28-2000).]

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2000, 05:04:00 AM »
When I started playing WB around 4-5 years ago I jumped in at the deep end and started and learned in full realism.

BUT

I do not expect new players and more importantly new players to flight-sims to jump in at the deep end and have to learn to fly. I had already been playing flight-sims for quite some years before I stumbled across WB (started on a ZX Spectrum)

I hope that HTC will make a relaxed realism arena but with a view to strongly encouraging those players to come to the full realism arena with trainers frequenting the relaxed arena helping these new players learn to fly. I don't think allowing relaxed setting players into the main arena would be a good idea, just go to AGW and look at the fall-out over relaxed realism there. Also while you are there take a look and think about what you are saying, this BB is starting to mirror AGW with elitist posts declaring EZ mode players as almost being worthless, I think both communities would do well to consider that these players are also contributing finacially to the up-keep of HTC and iEN and should not be reviled in such a manner. WW2OL is on the horizon and could take quite a few players away from both WB and AH and so alienating fresh blood into the community would be a very silly move indeed and thats why I agree with Pyro that some kind of EZ mode does need serious consideration.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2000, 05:05:00 AM »
Heh, the Spit V....

Met a newbie V yesterdayday. Came in with some alt as he was low after fighting another guy and shooting him down on a HO. I circle him, but my alt isn't that much greater. Nose up. lots of tracers around my distance. Curious, I dip my wing to check distance: 1.1. Get pinged a few times, but no worries.

I go in, and that monster V someone comes out of a stall and three seconds later go into another loop. Seeing a forced HO, I pull back a litle and go into a lazy turn. OPING PING PING D1.3. Oh, just those .303's no biggie. I go in again. Forced HO again, so I fake it. He hits the deck and starts running, only to reverse for the Ho ten seconds later. Again I pull up.

This went on for some three minutes with multiple passes and I was LOL'ing all the time -was just *too* much. Took me a while to bleed him outta E and alt, especially since that V can do loops from very low peeds. Eventually he was shot down.

We got some aircraft which newbies can get a respectable K/D rate of 0.5 in, at the very least. That's one of the great things about this sim; you advance upwards towards the more difficult planes as your experiene increases. A natural and intelligent way of solving the newbie issue, I think.

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2000, 05:34:00 AM »
I think they're aiming the wrong way as did WarBirds. Who wants to pay $30 a month to play an Air Warrior Relaxed Realism with less planes?

I don't think it DOES make business strength to relax FMs in any way - it's suicidal for boxed sims (eg Gunship, Fighter Squadron) and so for $30 a month it just doesn't seem right to me. Personally I'll put up with skewed FMs online if the game is boxed or free and still fun, but I'd never pay $30 a month for it. Just wondering - who would HTC be trying to target with this scheme?

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2000, 05:49:00 AM »

Hristo and StSanta,

good POV's   Spit MkVb, Zeke and probably C.202 are already EZ-Mode. Uhmmm, the more I think the more I like it  

During our training we always warn our new squaddies about sudden pull-up of low flying Spitfires ... I like to kill Spitfires.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

funked

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2000, 06:39:00 AM »
Hristo it's called "wing loading".  

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2000, 07:12:00 AM »

Originally posted by funked:
Hristo it's called "wing loading".    

whatever, funked   Spit IX, V and C202 are forgiving planes, fun to fly and easy to learn. They dont have serious vices (maybe spit's torque in takeoff but we already have an easy-takeoff-mode isnt it?  )

If EZ mode makes it to the MA I will be done in AH. I dont mind if they put a relaxed realism one, but If I have to mess with flybywire autotrimming UFO Cannonhawgs, or G10s, or whatever, then I'm done.

I already suck in my fw190, I wont put myself in EZ mode. And so I wont pay 30$ with people with UFOs. Sorry but I dont pay for cheater's enjoy.

Put em in a RR arena. do whatever. but dont mix me with EZmode enemies because I'll be gone.

As easy as that.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2000, 08:07:00 AM »
Isn't the real question here:How does HTC attract new players?

I have a feeling we can trust HTC to find a way to increase players.  I think the current community can trust that HTC will not distroy the current sim in order to increase customers!!

I think mixing "vet pilots" and EZ-mode pilots is an interesting idea. Ah, but how?

In AW there are seperate areans.  Not that many ppl cross over to FR from RR.  Keeping all types of players in one arena is a good idea.  Keeps the "community" as one!!

Ah, but how?? Pyro, heheee,that's why you get paid the big bucks!!!

Good luck in your quest!!  

Offline NineZ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.user.shentel.net/vonz/jagdneun.html
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2000, 08:13:00 AM »
If Pyro has a vision for an arcade type setting within AH and it doesnt require the reduction of real physic/combat realism within the so called-"main arena," I dont have a problem with it.  

I dont personally feel its a little too early to voice a concern over this issue.  I fly here because its the best Ive played and the best pilots Ive flown against, in any online sim.  

Give us a full real arena where oh say, 60 to 80 of us can go and play and you can make all the money you want with the arcade arenas.  

After all, fresh new pilots are always welcomed. hehee

------------------

[This message has been edited by NineZ (edited 05-28-2000).]