Author Topic: US allows drug tests on students.  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
US allows drug tests on students.
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2002, 01:04:51 AM »
The feelings I have about the US government don't even come close to the disgust I have for my own.

Thrawn, I thought I had you figured out by reading a number of your posts, and then this!  Re-reading a lot of your stuff bearing the above statement in mind, I think I understand where you are coming from much better.

Hard hating your government, yet loving your country and countrymates isn't it.  I used to think you were a person who didn't share a lot of my opinions, but after this thread, it appears this isn't the case.

and happy Canada Day tomorrow.

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2002, 01:32:56 AM »
Originally posted by Tumor

Anyway, I'm out of this conversation.   Aint worth it.

Yeah I agree Tumor, I'm out of this too. This isn't the hill I wish to stage my last battle on anyway, plus I think you have valid points on most issues and the whole drug testing thing is probably necessary anyway. bud, we'll argue over other crap later.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2002, 10:30:26 AM »
Legal schmegal! Did anyone consider the fact that this ruling is for testing kids doing extracurricular activities! How stupid is that? I'm sure the entire debate team is on E, and those French Club members....well.... vou le vou fouche aveque moi se soi.

Testing is wrong, but this is just stupid.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2002, 10:39:56 AM »
vou le vou fouche aveque moi se soi

uh ?  :rolleyes:

Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir

This time I'm right and I'm sure ;)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2002, 10:53:57 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Legal schmegal! Did anyone consider the fact that this ruling is for testing kids doing extracurricular activities! How stupid is that? I'm sure the entire debate team is on E, and those French Club members....well.... vou le vou fouche aveque moi se soi.

Testing is wrong, but this is just stupid.

how about roids in HS sports?

Too attempt to minimize this abuse is stupid too??

not to test is to condone, now that is stupid

it was bad in my HS days 75 -77, today it is ridiculous. Just during the 10 or so times I had to check my son out of school for doc/dentist appointments last year - the blatant drug abuse of many students getting tardy passes/ signing in/out was outrageous. (smells like dope, looks like dope - must be dope) I say test them all and bus the losers to their own school until they test clean.

My guess is the majority of the students who are against this ruling also do the drugs - nothing to do with their "rights" :rolleyes: that's just PC BS they are hiding behind.

How many on this board against the ruling are in the same category eh?

Sober - Try it, You'll Like It
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2002, 11:04:18 AM »
Testing athletes for performance enhancing substances makes perfect sense. It keeps the playing field level.

Testing a tuba player for the same substances makes no sense at all.
sand

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2002, 11:09:17 AM »
Despite how much I dislike the current policies that are in effect, I don't see how this is any different than putting metal detectors in DC area schools to screen for guns.

It's the same difference, but instead they are catching kids that are getting doped up on the weekends too. For some kids, this just might help them get through HS and finish fairly well... other kids, well, they'll just leave HS when they turn 16.

Then of course, it just means that during the summer, they'll still be doing drugs. No one to test them, and they can get "clean" roughly 2 weeks before they go back to school.

It'll also probably mean that when they get to college they will be ill-prepared for drugs, or whatever, and it could leave the door open to them trying them and leading to the road of addiction. (In the case of most drugs, not all are addictive)

So, is this a good idea? IMO, it's an "okay" short term plan... but they needs to be gettin' some new ideas.
-SW

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Re: US allows drug tests on students.
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2002, 12:56:35 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Supreme Court has approved random drug tests for many public high school students.

It ruled that schools' interest in ridding their campuses of drugs outweighs an individual's right to privacy.

The decision will allow the broadest drug testing the court has yet permitted of young people whom authorities have no particular reason to suspect of using drugs.

Thanks US, you guys make me fall in love with my country every day.

That's nothing.  Most companies do drug tests before they'll let you go to work for them.  Its about time the educational system caught up with the new standards.  The school system is supposed to get kids ready for the workplace, and they can't do that if the kids can't pass the drug test.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2002, 01:19:23 PM »
From the title of this thread I thought we'd finally found a good use for teenagers, experimental drugs. :D
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2002, 02:46:31 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target

This is why this issue is the closest thing we have to McCarthyism. If your against it, you must be for drugs! Just like you must have been a commie if you were against the HUAC.
 Another hypocritical conservative viewpoint IMHO. They want big government out of their lives, just not out of yours.

I'd like to thank the following for proving me right:

Eagler - My guess is the majority of the students who are against this ruling also do the drugs - nothing to do with their "rights"  that's just PC BS they are hiding behind.
How many on this board against the ruling are in the same category eh?
Sober - Try it, You'll Like It

Tumor - The druggies on this board really SHINE! Sure hard to miss'em.

Gunthr - You probabally had a sense that school admin was out to get you, because you did do drugs in school, and you may have suffered consequences because of it.

sigh

And just in case you were wondering. I do not do drugs, and the 2 beers I had while visiting a fellow AH'er a couple weeks ago makes it a total of 4 this year. (2 at a Superbowl party).