Author Topic: US allows drug tests on students.  (Read 1888 times)

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
US allows drug tests on students.
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2002, 11:40:19 PM »
there are two threads running in the O'C, one about drugs in school , the other about getting "god " out of school

do we have a connect here??

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2002, 11:42:53 PM »
Nope, the dual thread conspiracy wasn't in my copy of 1984 either.

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2002, 12:02:19 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM

I don't see why the school thinks they need to get involved. Personally, I view the home tests as a declaration of failure. I should hope that I'm attentive enough of my children to recognize the signs of drug abuse.

Because, in a very disconcertingly large number of school districts the parents chronically don't get involved.

I love the contradiction in this.  The, don't tell me how to raise my kids, I'll ignore them as I please....then (and this isn't aimed at you Sandman, I assume from your posts you are very in-tune to your children)....Hey, the schools are unsafe, I want a safer environment for my kid to be babysitted in, so I can still ignore them.  Then, hey why is the government doing drug testing on my kids that I ignore in the shcool that I demanded be a safer environment for them so I could have the school board do my job as a parent.

And of course the end-game.....no way on earth did my kid just test positive for drug use, I know approximately what he does some days, while others, I'm not sure where he is, but I know that he can't be involved in that, because I saw him just last Tuesday, and he looked ok.....hold on...that's my cell ringing, I'll deal with you later Mr. Schoolboard......

For the slippery-slope folks......it's all about the pendillum swing...sometimes it swings left and sometimes right, but within each one of those cycles it hits the middle twice.  And it always swings.

Cobra
« Last Edit: June 29, 2002, 12:10:04 AM by Cobra »

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2002, 12:09:06 AM »
"Anyway, your story sounds like it would have been a lot better if there was drug testing so that they could not have allowed drugs for so long. "

I guess you missed the post where I was discussing the drug dogs.

Think about it....if the fear of punishment isn't enough to reduce drug usage in adults, when why would it do anything for kids who by definition have even less sense?   Why should our kids grow up in a police-state environment, trained to submit to authority in all things (which pretty accurately describes schools today), when such measures utterly fail at achieving their stated purpose?  It's a waste of resources, waste of time, and IMO immoral too.

The problem needs to be dealth with at the source.  

either way it works out, good discussion  <>    Gotta be gettin some sleep  :)  

J_A_B

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2002, 03:49:40 AM »
Originally posted by Cobra

Because, in a very disconcertingly large number of school districts the parents chronically don't get involved.

I love the contradiction in this.  The, don't tell me how to raise my kids, I'll ignore them as I please....then (and this isn't aimed at you Sandman, I assume from your posts you are very in-tune to your children)....Hey, the schools are unsafe, I want a safer environment for my kid to be babysitted in, so I can still ignore them.  Then, hey why is the government doing drug testing on my kids that I ignore in the shcool that I demanded be a safer environment for them so I could have the school board do my job as a parent.

And of course the end-game.....no way on earth did my kid just test positive for drug use, I know approximately what he does some days, while others, I'm not sure where he is, but I know that he can't be involved in that, because I saw him just last Tuesday, and he looked ok.....hold on...that's my cell ringing, I'll deal with you later Mr. Schoolboard......

For the slippery-slope folks......it's all about the pendillum swing...sometimes it swings left and sometimes right, but within each one of those cycles it hits the middle twice.  And it always swings.

Cobra

There's an alternative to the contradiction angle, Cobra. It is, "Don't attempt to raise my kids like yours." (Not yours personally, but you get the idea.)
sand

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2002, 04:48:01 AM »
nm

Good luck guys.  I'm sorry if I hurt anyone.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2002, 05:37:45 AM by Thrawn »

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2002, 07:34:23 AM »
Sandman,
I agree with your statement.  That's why I, just like yourself, do take a very active role in my kid's school lives.

I'm lucky enough to live in a very good school district as well.  And it has a very active parent base to support it.

My sense is that folks such as us, Sandman, are the minority when it comes to this.  Hell, I don't know which way on this issue I stand.  I just think (assume probably more accurate) that some of the people protesting this, are the very same that have no clue what their kids are doing, and expect the school board to raise them.  And when their kid's chronic negative behavior impacts my child's learning environment...then yes, I'll have a problem with behavior without consequences.

Growing up I went to private schools, but I have my children in Public Schools because I firmly believe we have to support them, and not just by squeaking about my tax dollars, but active participation.  Hehe...my kids may not like that :).  So maybe my slant is different since the school I attended had some additional layer of rules.

Sandman

Cobra

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2002, 07:57:42 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
Today, they test the children participating in "extra-curricular" ativity.

Tomorrow, they'll test them all.

The motor vehicle test is a bad analogy. No one ever killed anyone walking down a school corridor stoned.

amazing ....

why don't we just offer it in the cafeteria at lunch time? How bout making sure middle school kids can try it out too? Or is 12 too young but 15/16 old enough?:rolleyes:

you ppl freak me out.  
What the hell is wrong with testing CHILDREN 18 and under in HIGH SCHOOL for ILLEGAL drugs?
Afraid a sober society would tell the left to go jump in a lake?

I can only assume those against this are in HS themselves or their brain still is ...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2002, 08:51:13 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler

you ppl freak me out.  
What the hell is wrong with testing CHILDREN 18 and under in HIGH SCHOOL for ILLEGAL drugs?

The problem is too many people seem to think the Constitution and Bill of Rights were meant to protect thier so called right to be criminals.  Fear of drug testing can be directly attributed to the fear of getting caught.  You can whine moan and complain about rights... but in the end thats ALL it is.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2002, 09:08:51 AM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
nm

Good luck guys.  I'm sorry if I hurt anyone.

Thrawn, I hereby declare  you an Honorary American Citizen complete with all rights and entitlements thereof. You may squeak, scoff, ridicule and laugh at the fallacy of American politics at your leisure.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2002, 10:05:42 AM »
Originally posted by Elfenwolf

Thrawn, I hereby declare  you an Honorary American Citizen complete with all rights and entitlements thereof. You may squeak, scoff, ridicule and laugh at the fallacy of American politics at your leisure.

Ya Thrawn.  Appreciate the sentiment.  Unless nm means nogood monkeys or something :D

No harm done.  In the end I suppose someone's gotta push the BS button now and then... even if it is a dern Canadian!!
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2002, 10:12:56 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler

amazing ....

why don't we just offer it in the cafeteria at lunch time? How bout making sure middle school kids can try it out too? Or is 12 too young but 15/16 old enough?:rolleyes:

you ppl freak me out.  

I can only assume those against this are in HS themselves or their brain still is ...

What's wrong with trust?

What's wrong with communication?

What's wrong with respect?

What's wrong with discipline?

What's wrong with education?

IMHO, if you think that drug testing will make the difference between effective parenting or not, you're a potential failure as parent looking for something/someone to blame.

P.S. Thrawn... your opinion is welcome here. ALWAYS.
sand

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2002, 10:24:05 AM »
Difference in effective parenting?

Come on.  It's not about your kid, it's about the kids that are out of control, or is that due to your parenting (lack of) too?

It's the potential difference in the surroudings your kid is required by law to spend most of his awake life in.

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2002, 10:28:54 AM »
Why shouldn't Thrawn post what he thinks?  He should.

Of course, why shouldn't Thrawn be surprised by the responses he gets by people posting what they think?  Especially if Thrawn's original post was confrontational and opinionated.  That's what some of this O'Club is about.

So yes, Thrawn should feel he can post here and be welcome to do that, and he should also be ready for the responses that posting draws.

My opinion is no more right or wrong than his or anyone else's, so keep posting away Thrawn, Eagler, Rip, Sandman, etc.....isn't this why we keep hitting that little O'Club link?

Cobra

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2002, 10:36:01 AM »
So... after what? Twenty years of the drug war, schools are now less safe than they were twenty years ago?

...and drug testing will fix this?

p.s. I know... Nixon really started it in 1972 but his and Carters programs weren't as focused as Reagans.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2002, 10:41:17 AM by Sandman »
sand