Author Topic: Warbirds III Free for August, But ....  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Warbirds III Free for August, But ....
« on: August 04, 2001, 02:23:00 PM »
Warbirds III is free for August.  Excellent opportunity to try it out.  

But ... I left WBII for Aces High, and after just briefly taking a look at WBIII, I must conclude once again:

ACES HIGH IS THE GREATEST GAME IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE.

Oh, did I overstate?  Well, pardon me if I get carried away in praise for the funnest, most visually appealing, most ergonomically logical, most playable realistic simulation I've ever seen, which is HiTech and crew's virtuosity in Aces High.  

For all this praise I'm not even lobbying for new stuff, although naturally any will be appreciated.  Aces High has enough variations and opportunities to keep me happily entertained a long while.  

I'd offer to buy stock, but I hope HiTech and crew will keep it the elite special innovative and responsive organization it is. I wouldn't want it compromised by too many fingers in the pot, although I sure hope the creators receive more than enough reward to retain their incentive and momentum.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2001, 02:52:00 PM »
I like wb3's lack of direct 6 view in the 3d cockpits

is much more realistic setup.

you are able to look directly brhind but you can only see one rear quarter of your 6 at a time.

to check the other side your head swivels around realistically.

so checking 6 takes two head movements instead of one direct 180degree rear view

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2001, 02:56:00 PM »
Good deal for anyone interested I spect.

There some people whos opinions I respect dearly that believe WB3 is clearly superior.

I even thought it (wb3) looked pretty damned nice but I prefer AH for some pretty good reasons.

It is really nice tho to have another product to fall back on when one gets tired of, bored with, frustrated at his current choice.  I know a few folks that have already bounced back and fourth several times.  They seem to be as content as anyone.

I agree fester, WB3 has done a nice job with the 6-views in 3d cockpits.

Y

[ 08-04-2001: Message edited by: Yeager ]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2001, 03:16:00 PM »
I dl'd WB3 and am impressed how far they have come.

The eye candy is definately sweet, rounded engine cowlings vs. boxey AH eng. cowls, the little details such as the pilot looks better, the custom skins, even the buildings and GVs all add up to a sweet lookin' sim[/i]...BUT after using AH for the last 2 years, I find the WB3 flight controls to be sluggish, and even after repeatedly adjusting up and down the stick settings I'm havin' a hard time line'n up on the offline drones.

I believe it does offer serious competition to AH (much more so than WWOL) and I wish iEN the best of luck with it, but as of now my money stays with right here.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2001, 03:51:00 PM »
Weird, eh?  I don't like it at all.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2001, 04:53:00 PM »
i like it alot except for the sluggish controls

that part really sucks

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2001, 05:02:00 PM »
What Zig said.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2001, 05:06:00 PM »
HS is adamant that he has the data on response for "many" planes and that it currently is correct.  I have no opinion on the matter, and that is not why I am not thrilled with it anyway, but that is his stance.

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2001, 05:25:00 PM »
What zig said.

I guess that's why a lot people call it "mush birds".

bowser

[ 08-04-2001: Message edited by: bowser ]

Offline kbman

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »
Yeah, it looks really nice but it feels very weird to me after tuning my flying to AH. They are struggling very hard to do a good job on it in spite of Ien and I wish them luck. HS is a good programmer/developer but is, unfortunately, also a total prettythanghole and Ien is even worse. Also, WB has -bobn- ...nuff said.  ;)

kbman

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2001, 09:49:00 AM »
so fester... with this realistic six view they do have rear view mirriors and support for as many monitors as it takes to have a 360 degree view in any direction right?  corsair had three mirrors, a bulged canopy and you could look straight down over the side since the wing was forward ... I believe that the AH views in the corsair at least are less than the real plane.  Perhaps WBIII has fixed this?
lazs

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2001, 10:08:00 AM »
Laz, you can see behind you perfectly, it is just a view down the fuselage, not a lindablair view.  You also must rotate your read across the front to move from back left to back right.

Go try it, don't cost nuthin.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2001, 11:15:00 AM »
I changed my mind after flying for a couple hours this morning.  It's good, but let's not talk about it on HTC's board.

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2001, 11:43:00 AM »
"I believe that the AH views in the Corsair at least are less than the real plane."

The "6" view in the Corsair is pretty good in real life and in AH it's not too far off at all. As for looking down you're right, it is more obsturcted in AH.

Westy

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2001, 11:54:00 AM »
I tried it again offline anyway, and found one glaring, surprising diffrence.

In AH when you roll, as soon as you let go of the stick as in stopping the turn the aircraft freezes in that position like the air is molasses. I always wondered about that because that is not realistic imo.

In F4.0, Hornet Korea, and now WBIII, when you roll or pitch the plane, without perfect countering of a little bit of opposite stick, it doesn't just snap to that position. It has a bit of a "unsettled" feeling to it.

Really hard to describe, but all those sims behave in a more realistic manner for that one FM item.

Can anyone explain this?