Author Topic: Why they dont stay...  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2000, 03:09:00 PM »
"I'm sure they have their reasons for charging $30/month."

Roger that. One benefit is it does act a bit like chorine in the gene pool.

-Westy

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2000, 03:14:00 PM »

Originally posted by Fury:
Why did this thread have to turn into a WB vs AH thread?  

It started out as a WB/AH thread to begin with, it didn't 'turn into' one, it began as one.  And its been very civil with an exception or two.

I think when you have two products very similiar to one another, it warrants discussion.  However, I tried discussing AH on AGW back in January (regarding ground vehicles) and was flamed venomently, so throw civil out the window when trying to compare two similiar products.  

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2000, 03:51:00 PM »
It's just anal Fury posting again.  Sorry for my confusion; I re-checked DmnBT's original post and did not see anything about WB mentioned.  That's why I got confused when I said it "turned into" a WB vs. AH thread again.

And I agree that pricing (the reason for the first post) warrants discussion.  I was referring more to the other posts (AH does not have Mac/various gunnery posts/AH is not substantially better than the competition blah blah blah etc).

Sorry for my rant.

Fury

Offline Stiglr

• Persona non grata
  • Copper Member
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2000, 06:24:00 PM »
This on? *tap* *tap*

<---dodges wet tomatoes with black mold on them

HEY! HEY! Gimme a chance willya????

This has been an interesting thread. Vitriol and all, it really has.

To those of you debating the price:
1) I don't think $30/month is too much to ask for *anyone* to pay for unlimited flight simming and a high-fidelity model.
2) Be careful what you ask for; WB allowed an EZ Mode Arena, subsidized to the tune of $9.95/month splinter the membership, and draw in a whole subclass that value fun WAY over sim fidelity, and it's growing like a cancerous tumor. Keep your standards HIGH, and just accept the fact that you can't have *everybody and their dog* playing, and still have Aces High quality. You just can't. Below a certain $ amount lies base Quake dweebery. This is bad for those who really are dedicated but can't afford $30/month, I know, but there it is.

As to my take on WB vs. AH? Well, I still like WB better, but I'm sure there's some truth to what Ripsnort says about "change vs. ego". However, if I *really* felt AH was flat out superior, I would just take it on the chin and move over, especially at $30/month. Right now, my biggest barring factors are the FM (we'll re-evaluate when 1.4 comes out), the "recruit level" blackouts, the catering to Late War ueberplanes, and the stale Chesspiece arena model. The new terrain editor could change the latter REAL quick, and that's exciting.

But, I agree with many over at WB that still say that AH fell short of the mark when it neglected to do "something wonderful" and change the gameplay. Throw out the rancid Arena concept and start over.

The ground war model...? Uh, no, that wasn't the answer. That's an embarassment, and an insult to high-fidelity simming.

I bet if AH were to up the ante on "how the sim is played", and did it right, whatever that was, then you might have a stampede of ex-WBers coming over here.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2000, 06:57:00 PM »
I know no less than six fellows that would fly in AH if they would offer a $10 or $20 a month accounts that would limit the hours. I don't understand why they don't, but there is lots in this world I don't understand.  
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2000, 10:04:00 PM »
We don't price ourselves to try to be exclusionary.  We can exclude anybody from the game regardless of where the price point is and we can also exclude anybody by setting our price point high enough.  The best price point is dependent not only on how many people we can get signed-up, but also on our per-customer costs.  This is something we always have to weigh, and even with the best information it's not easy.  Speculating is easy though.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2000, 11:15:00 PM »
Holy fly'n cow toejam. People with $2500 puters @ home unite!!!!!!!!

I know every month I gotta dig up my belaclava and make a withdrawal from my local Seven-Eleven store to pay this outrages price for AH. HT has been taxing my CC now for the last 6 years how does he do such evil things to me.

A friggin dollar a day!!!!  

[This message has been edited by Torque (edited 09-06-2000).]

bug

Why they dont stay...
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2000, 11:42:00 PM »
your right dmdbt, you aren't a marketing expert

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2000, 11:55:00 PM »
 Im not sure he is that far off. A little bit ezmode, sounds like a little bit pregnent to me. Not possibile.

Im not a snob about FM. If it goes the arcade route. Fine. But its time to start talking about the going price of an arcade game.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2000, 12:10:00 AM »
Heh well said torque  

Now where oh where will I find a dollar a day?

if it ain't worth 30 bucks, don't play, and don't whine.

If it is worth $30, and you pay them, you're entitled to whine about issues other than cost.

I usually tire of sims and games in less than a month. Still flying, since tour 3, and still having fun. Haven't really bought any boxed games since. So, $30 ain't that bad, even though it is much for people with a low income like me. Acceptable bang for the buck (pun not intended)  

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline Brazos

• Zinc Member
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2000, 12:23:00 AM »
Nobody is, heheh.

But it is my belief that in a few months there will be four wwii online games charging less than AH. BT and I both believe AH is state of the art. He meant no disrespect by posting this info. Use it or abuse it as ya see fit.  

I'm guessing everyone goes flat rate this year. Let's see who's right next year.

Cya up...Braz  

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2000, 01:49:00 AM »
Roger that. One benefit is it does act a bit like chorine in the gene pool.

-Westy[/B][/QUOTE]

Sure keeps out most of the Gen Balo's huh Westy!

Lars

Offline crabofix

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2000, 04:39:00 AM »

Originally posted by easymo:
Like WB, the trainers arent in the right place.

[/B]
 People are often shy when they are new, but dont want to admit they need help. So they get there backs up instead. A trainer in an H2H arena, called OPEN TRAINING might be a welcome mat for this game.[/B][/QUOTE]

Why would a rainer show up at H2H?
The Whole ting with Trainers is to get them intrested enough to become paid costumers, right?
Getting them used to the H2H dos´nt do the trick, Im sure.

Go figure when you try to fly with a mouse. It dosent help much to train a guy and send him to the MA, with that kind of gear.

Crabofix
Aces high training corps.

Offline HABICHT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jagdgeschwader54.net
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2000, 05:49:00 AM »
HOSSA,

with this talking about the 30$ you forgot something important.

for you americans, 30& are like 30DM for me
in germany. but at the moment (and long before) the dollar went up to 2.22 GERMAN MARKS for one dollar.
so i pay more than 60german marks. so would
you pay 60& a month? sure some will, but most not.
i have a good friend, learning a job, for him, 30$ are nearly 1/10 of his budget.
i knew many more, not able to pay more than
60 german marks a month for "only" an computer "game".
they fly WB2.01 for free on the german server after trying AH.

think about it, 30$ are not everywere 30$

HABICHT

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
Why they dont stay...
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2000, 07:21:00 AM »
Hiyas Rip,
No, At first it was squelch ch1, annoying to do but had to.
Then, squelch country ch, 'cuz it got that bad too.
Some of y'all missed the sarcasm part of my missive, so I'll spell it out for you,
I don't see where $30 bucks a month will keep the trash out, (No I'm not arguing for lower rate, that's not the frigging issue)
I see lot's of foul-mouthed,ill tempered,lord-god-commander-I-can't-even-fit-in-the-cockpit-of-a-Bf109-but-I'll-tell-you-how-to-fly-it,quakedweebs,and just plain people desperately in need of either Prozac or an arnoldkicking,(take your pick)
My point being, why in the world would I consider that fun at anyprice?
Computer AI may not be the best opponent I've ever faced, but at least it doesn't turn into an unsupervised 14 year old when it loses(or wins,for that matter)
HTC needs to expand it's customer base, period. In the business world that's known as the SUCCESSFULL business model.
But it becomes rather a large stretch of the imagination to see new folks coming into the game, and deciding they like being derided,insulted and generally abused,
I don't think there are enough masochists to significantly expand the game.
(Shutting up and going back to RL, why I come here is beyond me, must be a masochist)

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"