Author Topic: 'Idiot Cards' for the US military...  (Read 2138 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
'Idiot Cards' for the US military...
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2002, 11:16:03 AM »
Misunderstood Tahgut. :)

(edit - added)
BTW, my where would we be question wasn't rhetorical. Correct answer is.......France (ducks and runs) ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2002, 11:23:36 AM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2002, 11:25:57 AM »
It's not important to me, Kieran, but out of idle curiosity I wondered if it was a new development. There seem to be a few people here who claim to be ex-military or are currently serving, so I thought they could fill me in.

Is that ok?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2002, 11:29:45 AM »
Let me check... one sec... ...

Yes. That's ok. This time.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2002, 11:33:53 AM »
dowding

Originally posted by john9001
after viet-nam all military treat all media as hostile, and rightly so.

just look at the reporter's question"how do you feel about being here?" he was looking for some one to whine 'i wana go home" so he could get a sound bite.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2002, 11:37:42 AM by john9001 »

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2002, 11:38:05 AM »
Why thankyou, sir. I'm much obliged. ;)
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: 'Idiot Cards' for the US military...
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2002, 01:29:57 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding
I was listening to an interesting report from a BBC correspondant at Bagram Airport in Afghanistan. He'd just got into the camp there and started talking to a clean-cut group of US Army personnel fresh from the States.

He asked them:

"How do you feel about being out here?"

To which they replied:

"We're committed to succeeding in accomplishing our objectives, and are unified in our determination to see the job through."

"How long are you going to be here?"

"As long as it takes to get the job done, sir."

Sounds exactly like Soviet servicemen were supposed to journalists as Michail Leschinskiy back in 1983. WTG USA!

For me it's another proof that current US regime is heading towards total control (not exactly control, but the right to interfere everywhere with ideoligical attitude) we had in good old USSR. Didn't some brass hat live in Soviet Union in 70s-80s? They are taking the worst sides of Soviet life without any positive experiences.

Watching all this were a pair of experienced veterans, sitting in a humvee. As the correspondant walked past they called him over and basically said "Do we really have to go through this roadkill?" They then showed him a small card, with a series of questions and answers, detailing how to tackle the media. A couple of the answers matched nearly word for word what he had been told by the first group of soldiers...
[/B]

These "veterans" should have got a punishment from political department, maybe even expelled from Party or Comsomol. At least the strict reproof with a notice in personal file.

GH:
Allahu Akbar

Yeah! Miru - mir, Allahu - akbar, zemlya - krestyanam, fabriki - rabochim, voda - matrosam! Slava KPSS!!!

Genosse Grunherz, please, remember that Carl Marx and Friedrich Engels are two persons, not four, and Slava KPSS is not a person at all. :D :D :D

You are brilliant! I hope Serbo-Croatian language has cases similiar to Russian, it will explain a lot! :D

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2002, 02:07:29 PM »
That was an interesting post, baroda.  Now I understand your agenda.  It brought some of your roadkill, from the past, into focus.

The U.S. military is there to defend democracy.  Not to practice it. They have their own laws (Uniform Code of Military Justice).  What they are often ask to do, goes way beyond what any Civilian is ask to do. They are, and have always been, one of the most disciplined armed forces in the would. Their discipline has been commented on by former enemies, repeatedly.  Men who wish to remain free are willing to trade their lives, for that freedom.  That they are willing to trade their freedom, for a short time in the military, should come as no suprise
« Last Edit: September 30, 2002, 02:16:55 PM by easymo »

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2002, 02:44:09 PM »
That reminds me about times soviet troops helped to quell the "counter-revolutionary coup in Czechoslovakia" in 1968.

It was nowhere as bloody as Hungary in 1956 - may be because of the lessons learned. Lot of soviet troops on the streets of Prague - tanks, etc. and civilians coming to talk and politely explain to soviet soldiers how they were doing the wrong thing.
 Soviets who were brainwashed for 25 years longer that czechs tried to politely explain how wrong the chechs were, the tempers sometimes flared and sooner or later someone get his teeth knocked out.

Very soon the troops received a strict if informal order not to try to persuade the misguided czechs, but to any political question reply with polite but firm "go f-ck yourself". That immediately stopped all kinds of violence and actually helped troops and czechs to get along better.

miko

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2002, 02:46:47 PM »
I hate you all :p

(for Kanth && Iron in case you have a doubt ;))

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2002, 02:55:37 PM »
Problem with saying that here is that someone would soon be suing someone else for mental anguish and trauma.

instead, I think they should just take the reporter out into the desert and bury him in the sand with he rest of the turds.

Originally posted by miko2d

Very soon the troops received a strict if informal order not to try to persuade the misguided czechs, but to any political question reply with polite but firm "go f-ck yourself". That immediately stopped all kinds of violence and actually helped troops and czechs to get along better.

miko
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2002, 03:05:10 PM »
Kanth, how do you propose to be kept informed without the news media?

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2002, 03:28:48 PM »
Through preludes to the 2 minute hate, Thrawn.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2002, 04:02:14 PM »
Dood don't get me started. :)

Originally posted by Thrawn
Kanth, how do you propose to be kept informed without the news media?
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2002, 04:15:55 PM »
It's not important to me, Kieran, but out of idle curiosity I wondered if it was a new development. There seem to be a few people here who claim to be ex-military or are currently serving, so I thought they could fill me in.

Is that ok?

I'm surprised they have crib notes, but censorship is always common in the military. During the 60s-70s they had a ban on what was termed "subursive literature" from any base I was at Stateside. This included any and all anti-war flyers, newspapers, bumper stickers (no "End The War Now" bumper stickers allowed on base) and extended to literature distributed by the United Farm Workers even. (I got gigged on that one).

We also weren't allowed to tell the senior NCOs or junior officers what we REALLY thought, and I got in trouble for that once too. Also forbidden was growing hair, either on your face or your head, and if it was too long you'd get gigged for that too. (Uh...yes, I got gigged for haircuts too. And shaves occasionally, especially coming off a 30 day leave.) Oh, and they made us keep our boots really shiny, and if they weren't  shiny enough you got gigged. (hangs head) They gigged me for being a bad shoeshine boy too which is why I never persued that career in civilian life.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2002, 04:23:19 PM »
I bet your band was happy you got so many gigs though.