Author Topic: And people think _'s are bad?  (Read 2200 times)

Offline JustJim

• Nickel Member
And people think _'s are bad?
« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2002, 11:57:49 PM »
OK Japanese Planes Hit Pearl Harbor: Remove Them Please

German Planes Well Speaks For Itself: Remove Them Also

Russians Killed More Of Their Own Than The Enemy Did: Remove Them Please

Bill Clinton Got A Hummer In The Oval Office: Remove American Planes.

Brit And Italian Cant Think Of Anything Right Now So We Get Them To Fly.

This Is What You Have Suggested Get Rid Of A Name Because Of What That Party Did,
Well Get Rid Of The fediddlein Planes Too.

No No Cant Have That Now Can We.

Damn Hypocrites,

To squeak About A Name Is As Rediculas As It Gets, If Your Offended By A Name Then I'm Offended By The Planes As Well.

Peace Out Cant Wait To See The Replies To This One

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: October 05, 2002, 12:59:47 AM »
repeat after  me
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Hussein

• Copper Member
« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2002, 02:39:07 AM »
I guess it all boils down to this:

People who want WaffenSS and related names removed from the game are pro-censorship.

People who do NOT want them removed are pro-information.

Bad things do not go away if we hide them in the closet. The closet always gets opened sooner or later and they come nasty on our face.

Censorship is a very very bad thing. I'm appauled to see the level where it has been already taken in USA. Basically your young will soon lack the basic knowledge of any important factor in history (and nipples of women.)

I do not see why someone should be even a bit offended of some CALLSIGN in a GAME 50 years later that is related to an event none of us surely even witnessed. There is absolutely no need to censor these things. I'll rephrase it's a very bad and dangerous thing to go through that road. It's important that we know and it's important that we remember.

What do you think the Jews rant about the holocaust for? They don't try to sweep the thing under the rug, no! They throw it on our face. Because that's the only way we can even hope that we learn from past mistakes and prevent history from repeating itself.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2002, 03:04:52 AM »
Originally posted by Hussein
I guess it all boils down to this:

People who want WaffenSS and related names removed from the game are pro-censorship.

People who do NOT want them removed are pro-information.

Wrong ... Completly Wrong

People who do not want them removed are implictly authorizing nazi propaganda and lowering the act of the nazi to a simple event in history.

How can you tolerate political propaganda in a game ? they is some children playing here and they will just think 'wow it's cool to have Goebbels as handle'

The people here defending the use of "S...en" as handle are just ignoring history has they are not disgusted in the instant by this kind of handle :(

You probably thing that I'm a censor .... it's not true I just don't want that a infamous handle will be use in a recreational game

We are not here for education we are here gaming for nothing more.

I do not see why someone should be even a bit offended of some CALLSIGN in a GAME 50 years later that is related to an event none of us surely even witnessed.

Because for YOU it's 50 year for my familly and myself it was YESTERDAY

We Euro are living with this souvenir all day

Each day I face when going to work one or more memorial to those who have  fallen during WWI or WWII.
At 2 km of my house there is the wreck of a panzer destroyed during WWII I don't forget as I CANNOT forget

There is absolutely no need to censor these things. I'll rephrase it's a very bad and dangerous thing to go through that road. It's important that we know and it's important that we remember.

I fully remember  and I don't want a 15 year old child to use this kind of handle just because it's "cool".

I prefer giving money to build more museum.

What do you think the Jews rant about the holocaust for? They don't try to sweep the thing under the rug, no! They throw it on our face. Because that's the only way we can even hope that we learn from past mistakes and prevent history from repeating itself.

You seriously think that "S...en" choose his handle just for us not forget WWII ? ins't the whole theme of this game WWII ?

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #169 on: October 05, 2002, 05:40:14 AM »
Originally posted by JustJim
To squeak About A Name Is As Rediculas As It Gets, If Your Offended By A Name Then I'm Offended By The Planes As Well.

Peace Out Cant Wait To See The Replies To This One

Read my previous posts! BTW Ur argumentation is so ... so ... different, it shows deap knowledge of the world and deap knowledge of this thread ur surely the Master of History and european culture.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2002, 05:45:39 AM by Duedel »

Offline Hussein

• Copper Member
« Reply #170 on: October 05, 2002, 07:18:49 AM »
Straffo you miss the point. Where I stand, people have the liberty of choice and I'm not going to limit what someone wants to call himself in the game, or publish.

If you start censoring stuff, where do you draw the line? What guarantees once you go on this road that the line doesn't get tightened?

And btw, did you really think I'm from baghdad? I might be euro just like you.

Ok maybe I'm taking this a bit to the extreme afterall this IS just a game and a privately owned one. My concern is far beyond this game, but this mentality is exactly the same.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #171 on: October 05, 2002, 07:55:34 AM »
Originally posted by Shane
if that screenshot is relevant to the subject at hand, i'd say that it kind of disturbs me considering what was said.  so waht was he booted for, tumor? that lil screen shot gives no contextual info.

i dunno if HTC made any email contacts suggesting he *change* his handle.... i would most definitely hope so. if not... then i'm just very disappointed that HTC would allow and/or encourage through silence this kind of handle.

He was booted for acting like a love muffin on channel 1, new arena (not entirely suprising eh? lol)

I think the final straw went something like this

"sswaffen: this game sucks Azz"

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2002, 09:04:28 AM »
Originally posted by Mogi
Cat juggling never resulted in thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dead people.  It never resulted in the wholesale execution of civilians, children, or captured POW's.

Maybe not, only because Pig Eye Jackson and the cat juggling ring did not capture soldiers, but he was capable of much worse. :(

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2002, 11:09:14 AM »
Originally posted by Hussein
Straffo you miss the point. Where I stand, people have the liberty of choice and I'm not going to limit what someone wants to call himself in the game, or publish.

When the liberty of the other start start to limit your own what do you have to do ?
I think that "liberty" is attacked when someone wave in way or another a Nazi flag. I don't understand why we should let those speak ... in short : no democratia for the enemy of democratia.

If you start censoring stuff, where do you draw the line? What guarantees once you go on this road that the line doesn't get tightened?

I don't know for sure were to draw the limit but I'm sure"S...en" has crossed deliberatly the border of decency.

And btw, did you really think I'm from baghdad? I might be euro just like you.

Dunno and don't really care :)

To make my position clear :

Freedom of opinion : YES

Freedom of expression : NO, if your opinion stink => STFU !

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #174 on: October 05, 2002, 12:59:34 PM »
The Death Marches the Japanese held in Asia are simply a movement of people.

I don't think the bataan death march qualifies as a simple movement of people.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Hussein

• Copper Member
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2002, 01:17:58 PM »
Straffo the 1st amendment (and similar in other countries) apply also to people who have messages you don't want to hear.

You can't legally force someone to shut up just because you don't happen to like what he has to say.

A fully another issue are laws set which criminalize nazi ensignia and material such as they have in Germany. But even those laws are post war fabrications which were set to make sure the extreme nationalism would not be allowed to raise again in Germany. It still doesn't mean that group names of wartime units would be somehow immoral or even that the svastika would be somehow immoral. It's just a sign and the real context lies inside the viewers head.

I have no problem seeing someone call himself Stalin, Jihad, Hitler, JWBush, Saddam or anything.. I can't stop to wonder how people pick on small things, seems like some have no better things to do with their time.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2002, 01:40:10 PM »
"You can't legally force someone to shut up just because you don't happen to like what he has to say. "

wrong

"A fully another issue are laws set which criminalize nazi ensignia and material such as they have in Germany. But even those laws are post war fabrications which were set to make sure the extreme nationalism would not be allowed to raise again in Germany. "

In spite of your opinion of those laws, they exist. It's not a seperate issue. This game's customer base spans the globe.

"I have no problem seeing someone call himself Stalin, Jihad, Hitler, JWBush, Saddam or anything.. I can't stop to wonder how people pick on small things, seems like some have no better things to do with their time."

The first amendment doesn't mean a business owner has to allow people to say anything they want or dress anyway they want in spite of what restrictions are in place on his premises. This includes the names we select in a virtual enviroment. HT has already stated he didn't want to attract negative elements into the game by allowing certain characters to be used in a player callsign.

Try walking naked into a restaurant (that doesn't accomodate nudists) or using profanity in a place that has the usage of it banned.

When you buy out HT you can add a disclaimer to the website telling everyone about how free and wonderful the enviroment will now be then you can reap the benefits from it. ahem.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2002, 01:55:35 PM »
"People who want WaffenSS and related names removed from the game are pro-censorship. "

#1.  Your beloved first amdendment doesn't apply to businesses.  HTC is a business.  Businesses may choose to regulate whatever conduct they wish to.

#2.  Although you seem to be be unable to comprehend this, I have pointed out numerous times that HTC already DOES "censor" many things in AH.  This means there IS NO "free speech" in AH so your entire argument is irrevelant.

Of course, seeing as you use a name like "Hussein" with location "Baghdad", I wouldn't expect you to say anything that makes much sense.  In that regard, you don't disappoint.

J_A_B

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2002, 02:20:13 PM »
Self inflated panties in a bunch...

...four pages of it

Your right Rude, stupid thread

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2002, 02:28:54 PM »
Only thang worse is doofs that read it all and post that they were too stupid to avoid doing it. Guhyuck! :D