Author Topic: And people think _'s are bad?  (Read 2199 times)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
And people think _'s are bad?
« on: October 02, 2002, 08:55:18 PM »
Some names are just crossing the line, characters or not.  This just doesn't belong in AH and it shouldn't even be an option to use it.  :mad:

Attachment should be following:

J_A_B

Offline AtmkRstr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2002, 09:21:49 PM »
What's so bad about an SS squad?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2002, 09:41:43 PM »

Of all the German organizations during WWII, the SS is by far the most infamous - and the least understood amongst average historians. The SS was in fact not a monolithic "Black Corps" of goose stepping Gestapo men, as is often depicted in popular media and in many third rate historical works. The SS was in reality a complex political and military organization made up of three separate and distinct branches, all related but equally unique in their functions and goals. The Allgemeine-SS (General SS) was the main branch of this overwhelmingly complex organization, and it served a politicial and administrative role. The SS-Totenkopfverbande (SS Deaths Head Organization) and later, the Waffen-SS (Armed SS), were the other two branches that made up the structure of the SS. The Waffen-SS, formed in 1940, was the true military formation of the larger SS, and as such, it is the main focus of this section. Formed from the SS-Verfungstruppe after the Campaign in France in 1940, the Waffen-SS would become an elite military formation of nearly 600,000 men by the time WWII was over. Its units would spearhead some of the most crucial battles of WWII while its men would shoulder some of the most difficult and daunting combat opertations of all the units in the German military. The Waffen-SS is sometimes thought of as the 4th branch of the German Wehrmacht (Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine) as in the field it came under the direct tactical control of the OKW, although this notion is technically incorrect as strategic control remained within the hands of the SS. To this day the actions of the Waffen-SS and its former members are vilified for ultimately being a part of the larger structure of the political Allgemeine-SS, regardless of the fact that the Waffen-SS was a front line combat organization.

If the above is a true account, I see nothing wrong with the title. It's no different than the Luftwaffe.
sand

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2002, 10:10:28 PM »
"It's no different than the Luftwaffe."

ROTFLMAO

These scum were the true-believer Nazis, Hitler's willing henchmen.  They were an "elite" force, literally the cream of the Nazi crop, dedicated to the "cause".  You know, the guys that the AH LW fans try so hard to distance themselves from?  

J_A_B

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2002, 10:20:15 PM »

The Waffen-SS - which translates as "Weapon-SS" or "Armed-SS", was the military wing of the Shutzstaffel. It's conceptual origins lay in the "politische bereitschaften" - or "political ready reserves" in the early days of the Nazi movement. These reserves were the fanatical Nazi's who would protect the party leaders and ruthlessly attack all enemies during the political chaos of Germany in the 1920's & '30's. It is important to distinguish that serving in the Waffen-SS (a military organization with foreign troops and conscription) wasn't the same as membership in the SS (a Nazi political organization and executive arm for racial Germans), although the 2 states commingled. The Waffen-SS was expected to be a military organization absolutely and perfectly obedient and loyal to its master, Adolf Hitler.
sand

Offline GRDuckett

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2002, 10:32:38 PM »
Didnt the SS run the camps where five MILLION men women and CHILDREN were murderd??

Why would anyone of sound mind want to be associated with that :confused:  ...Duck

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2002, 10:41:48 PM »
Im with sandman here.  I dont really see anything wrong with the name.  Because after all, it is just that...a name.

I guess i can understand why some people would be offended by the handle, but let's not go off censoring history.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2002, 10:45:57 PM »
Originally posted by GRDuckett
Didnt the SS run the camps where five MILLION men women and CHILDREN were murderd??

Why would anyone of sound mind want to be associated with that :confused:  ...Duck

In June 1944, the SS Waffen had over 350,000 troops.

A bit more than necessary for concentration camps don't you think?
sand

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2002, 10:58:38 PM »
Sandman, can you read your own material?

"The Waffen-SS was expected to be a military organization absolutely and perfectly obedient and loyal to its master, Adolf Hitler. "

Something you really want to role-play in a game?

J_A_B

Offline GRDuckett

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2002, 11:00:53 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM

In June 1944, the SS Waffen had over 350,000 troops.

A bit more than necessary for concentration camps don't you think?

So you are saying that because not all SS were directly involved with genocide that the rest of em are great guys or somethin?

They were all part of the Nazi war machine that was prepaired to murder every jew on the planet.  How is this OK?

I dont really understand how this makes the SS a respectable organization?

Why would you want to emulate(sp) this group of people?

Duck

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2002, 11:09:32 PM »
Originally posted by GRDuckett

So you are saying that because not all SS were directly involved with genocide that the rest of em are great guys or somethin?

They were all part of the Nazi war machine that was prepaired to murder every jew on the planet.  How is this OK?

I dont really understand how this makes the SS a respectable organization?

Why would you want to emulate(sp) this group of people?

Duck

What makes the SS Waffen any different than the Luftwaffe?

It's estimated that over 180,000 Waffen-SS were killed in action.

You do understand that the Waffen-SS included foreign volunteers and conscripts?
sand

Offline GRDuckett

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2002, 11:31:28 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM

What makes the SS Waffen any different than the Luftwaffe?

It's estimated that over 180,000 Waffen-SS were killed in action.

You do understand that the Waffen-SS included foreign volunteers and conscripts?

Well, I guess because in this combat sim I assume that people are interested in the LW because of thier aircraft.  Not due to thier political agendas or moral beliefs.

What could this flight sim possibly have to do with the SS ?

On the other hand I can see where it does have alot to do with the LW.

Do we need to drag out the film of SS officers ripping  2 year old children from thier mothers arms to haul them to the gas chamber?  I have seen the film and it brings me to tears every time.  Think about it....5 million people.

Does 180,00 SS dying in battle somehow cleanse the actions of the rest of the organization?  And what did they die fighting for?  A nation that was prepaired to murder 30 or 40 million people.

I just dont understand why this would be an appealing role model for a flight simulator.

Duck

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2002, 11:38:39 PM »
"What makes the SS Waffen any different than the Luftwaffe? "

As the LW fans of AH are so commonly pointing out, the LW was composed of plenty of guys who didn't give a damn about Hitler or the Nazi ideals.

Which is NOT true of the Waffen SS.  The whole POINT of this organization was it was the guys who really believed in what they were doing and fighting for, both native born Germans and foreigners who likened to "the cause".   This was their top-of-the-line unit, the pride of the Nazis, the guys who not only fought for Germany but LIKED it.

Those SS letters weren't a meaningless designation.

The fact is, HTC is known to monitor and limit what names users can select based on what they feel is "good" for AH.  As I so often point out, I can't use my normal ID because HTC feels that characters like _'s are "bad" for AH.  "Censorship" as some might call it is already a feature of AH (note the lack of Swastikas on German fighters).  

If HTC is concerned enough about AH's image to limit perfectly innocent names and change historical vehicle paintjobs, I'd EXPECT them to disallow the name of the Nazi true-believer component of the German army.

J_A_B

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2002, 12:12:18 AM »
"Censorship" as some might call it is already a feature of AH (note the lack of Swastikas on German fighters).  

J_A_B
[/I]

well J_A_B u have some good points...

as an LW squad in AH we dont follow any political agenda...

read the first page of our website

also i read that 1/3 to 1/2 of real LW pilots took the Swastikas (had to look at ur spelling of that LOL) off their planes by '43.

back to topic .. here is a pic i just did of the 109G-2 in AH....

personally all i fly is the Dora but this in in AH
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2002, 12:15:23 AM »
Hey, last time I checked this is a free country.

All that 1st amendment stuff ya know.

If a guy wants to call himself Adolf let him, I don't care. It's his $15 and as Sandman pointed out, the Waffen-SS was not exactly the SS.

On a side note Jab, did your mother ever firmly say no to you? You keep asking for the _'s for your name, Hitech has repeatedly said no, but you keep bugging about it. I would think that once he said no, he meant no. I guess he meant yes in a no sorta way?

No?
<----ASSASSINS---->