Author Topic: And people think _'s are bad?  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Don

• Silver Member
And people think _'s are bad?
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2002, 12:08:16 PM »
>>If the above is a true account, I see nothing wrong with the title. It's no different than the Luftwaffe.<<

Operative word.. "If".  The SS, waffen or some other version were part and parcel of the political ideals of a sick and vicious Nazi regime. The passage you quoted is one great big rationalization, and revisionist in nature.
The Waffen SS committed atrocities as well as the other branches of their organization. Stories abound about what they did to their own people near wars end if they didnt show the proper overzealousness to die for the lost nazi cause.

That a guy should choose to use a name which replicates them implies bad taste to me though, but then again, I am not a victim of nazi or SS atrocities so, maybe I don't feel it as much. If it offends, perhaps it shouldnt be allowed.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2002, 12:13:17 PM »
What stuck with me the most was thing about thowing granades into roomful of civilans KNOWINGLY.

We firebombed Tokyo, we dropped 2 atomic bombs on civilian areas.....KNOWINGLY.(and they would have done the same to us)

They say war is hell for a reason

BTW, is Boobs banned?
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2002, 12:38:42 PM »
To Wulfie

I'm 33 (why ur asking ???)
and i was born in Western Germany (Bundesrepublik Deutschland).

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2002, 12:40:17 PM »
To Sixpence

Boobs dont kill so why should they (he) got banned? :D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2002, 12:51:20 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
I personally would prefer to have all historical names and markings allowed in this game, including WaffenSS.

And what exactly is historical about a Luftwaffe pilot calling himself "SSwaffen"[/i}? lol ;)

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2002, 01:21:35 PM »
Wow wulfie... thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences.  It's rare to have first person sources from both sides of the war.  I will attempt to save the material in this thread, knowing you may have more when you return.

So far, until reading this thread I've bounced back and forth between the two sides.  I think I've gotten a more balanced view of this subject now.  Studying such flammable subjects as this require extremely critical thought.  Information that includes bias, propoganda, and emotion can be hard to distiguish for someone like me who does not have access to primary sources.  

Hearing the replies from our European friends, I can't help but feel sorry for them.  So many wars were fought on their soil through hundreds of years I'm sure they're tired of it.  For the Germans, two world wars and the holocaust seems to have resulted in a pacifist society.  It seems the guilt of it all has resulted in them not wanting a part in any armed conflict unless it is together with NATO/UN (see Iraq subject).  Personally I don't think I can blame them for that either.  There was just too much collective pain inflicted on too many people to get over it so soon.  

As for the username, let HTC decide, it's their playground.  Their decision is final after all, no matter what any individual here thinks the decsion should be.  Although I don't think anyone who posted here would like to see this happen, how would Aces High be if HTC decided to pull ALL axis aircraft from use?  Or make all axis aircraft AI?  HTC could then avoid these kinds of things altogether.  No axis aircraft, no axis squadrons, no affiliations with the Nazis/Fascist Italy/Imperial Japan.  No arguments as to who is more virtuous.  I trust HTC will make wise decisions.  

mauser
« Last Edit: October 04, 2002, 01:49:15 PM by mauser »

Offline MotorOil

• Copper Member
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2002, 01:28:04 PM »
I think there's a lot of people in this thread that are missing the point.  Those that know and appreciate history, understand what the term "Waffen SS" represents.  Sure the SS was a lot of different things but the one thing it was notorious for was it's brutality and radicalist leaders.  It's the association between the radicalists/brutality and the term Waffen SS that makes it offensive.  It didn't matter to the Russian soldier capturing SS personel if he was personally guilty or not.  He was SS and his unit was responsible for many of the atrocities committed on that front so he was treated as a guilty party.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2002, 01:41:09 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
Yeah... just like the Americans in Viet Nam. :rolleyes:

you supposedly *know* your history, so i'll take that comment for the weak troll it is.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2002, 02:18:27 PM »
wulfie I've not took the time to read fully your posts

Can you in ONE short sentence show me the difference betwen  the Waffen SS and the SS ?.

And you shall not  use the "defending fatherland" BS or "following order" BS.

Next after having showed me you infinite wisdom you'll please explain me Oradour Sur Glane in ONE sentence also

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2002, 02:52:32 PM »
Originally posted by blitz
What about some idiot uses "Osama Bin Laden" as callsign next, in combination with "TwinTowerKillers" as squadname?

If they'd chose TwinHangarKillers and were a bish squad, that would perfectly fit :D

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2002, 02:56:57 PM »
Originally posted by Shane

you supposedly *know* your history, so i'll take that comment for the weak troll it is.

It's not a troll. Just a point. Both the Germans and the U.S. used conscription.

The notion that they all go to war willingly is just silly.
sand

Offline Hussein

• Copper Member
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2002, 03:46:33 PM »
What stuck with me the most was thing about thowing granades into roomful of civilans KNOWINGLY.

And how does that differ of Allied air raids to civillian targets KNOWINGLY?

Handgrenade to a room is worse than 1000 bomber full of bombs on a city?

Offline JustJim

• Nickel Member
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2002, 03:58:33 PM »
I Want To Know How And Where Is Jerry Springer Involved In This Discussion.

I Mean Come On Guys This Is A Game, Plain And Simple.

There Are More Names Out There That Play On Twists And You Pick On One Guy With SSWaffen Sofaking What.
 I Believe Thats A Name In AH Never Saw A squeak About That, I Think Its Hysterical.

This Is A Game This Is Not Real Life, No Matter How Much You Want It To Be  WWII  Was Done Along Time Ago.

Sorry For My Stupid Post I Just Cant Believe People Getting So Riled Up Over A Name.

Half Of The Guys In Here Talk About Sheep And Their Uses In AH, Havent Seen A Complaint About That.

So I Guess Its Just A Certain Few Things That Aren't Allowed Because It Doesnt Exactly Or Historically Match WWII.

Again Sorry For The Stupid Post I Just Dont Get The squeak In All This.  

L8r L8r,,,,

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2002, 04:00:43 PM »
What a stupid thread

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2002, 04:18:27 PM »
this whole thing started because J_A_B cant get his _ _ _ in his handle, i'm not sure but i think it has to do with the way a computer reads the "_". it could be only letters and numbers are allowed.

44MAG