Author Topic: Inside the Mind of the Antigun Male: Psycho-Sexual Insecurities  (Read 950 times)

Offline Mr. Blonde

• Zinc Member
Inside the Mind of the Antigun Male: Psycho-Sexual Insecurities
« on: October 12, 2002, 08:29:29 AM »
from Insight Magazine "fair comment", 2001-Sep-7, by Julia Gorin:

Let’s be honest. He’s scared of the thing. That’s understandable — so am I. But I’m a girl and have the luxury of being able to admit it. I don’t have to masquerade squeamishness as grand principle — in the interest of mankind, no less.

A man does. He has to say things such as “One Taniqua Hall is one too many,” as a New York radio talk-show host did in referring to the 9-year-old New York girl who accidentally was shot earlier this year by her 12-year-old cousin while playing with his uncle’s gun. But the truth is he desperately needs Taniqua Hall, just like he needs as many Columbines and Santees as can be mustered, until they spell an end to the Second Amendment — and not for the benefit of the masses, but for the benefit of his self-esteem.

He often accuses men with guns of “compensating for something.” The truth is quite the reverse. After all, how is he supposed to feel knowing there are men out there who aren’t intimidated by the big bad inanimate villain? How is he to feel in the face of adolescent boys who have used a family gun effectively in defending the family from an armed intruder? So if he doesn’t want to touch a gun, he doesn’t want other men to either. And to achieve his ends, he’ll use the only weapon he knows how to manipulate: the law.

This is not to say that sexual and psychological insecurities are the sole motivations driving the antigun male, or that they explain all men against guns. Certainly there must be some whose motives are pure, who perhaps do care so much as to look tirelessly for policy solutions to teen-age aggression and domestic negligence where none exist. But for a potentially large underlying contributor, it’s gone unexplored and unacknowledged.

People are suspicious of what they do not know — and not only does this man not know how to use a gun, he doesn’t know the men who do or the number of people who have successfully used one to defend themselves from injury or death. But he is better left in the dark; his life is hard enough knowing there are men out there who don’t sit cross-legged. That they’re able to handle a firearm instead of being handled by it would be too much to bear.

Such a man also is best kept huddled in big cities, where he feels safer than he might if thrown out on his own into a rural setting, in an isolated house on a quiet street where he would feel naked and helpless. Lacking the confidence that would permit him to be sequestered in sparseness, and lacking a gun, he finds comfort in the cloister of the crowd.

The very ownership of a gun for defense of home and family implies some assertiveness and a certain self-reliance. But if our man kept a gun in the house and an intruder broke in and started attacking his wife in front of him, he wouldn’t be able later to say, “He had a knife — there was nothing I could do!” Passively watching in horror while already trying to make peace with the violent act, scheduling a therapy session and forgiving the perpetrator before the attack is even finished wouldn’t be the option it otherwise is.

No. Better to emasculate all men. Because, let’s face it: He’s a lover, not a fighter. And he doesn’t want to get shot in case he has an affair with your wife.

Of course, it wouldn’t be completely honest not to admit that owning a firearm carries with it some risk to unintended targets. That’s the trade-off with a gun: The right to defend one’s life and way of life isn’t without peril to oneself. And the last thing this man wants to do is risk his life — if even to save it. For he is guided by a dread fear for his life and has more confidence in almost anyone else’s ability to protect him than his own, preferring to place himself at the mercy of the villain or in the competence of authorities (his line of defense consisting of locks, alarm systems, reasoning with the attacker, calling the police or, should fighting back occur to him, thrashing a heavy vase).

In short, he is a man begging for subjugation. He longs for its promise of equality in helplessness. After all, only when that strange, independent alpha breed of male is helpless along with him will he feel adequate. Indeed, his freedom lies in this other man’s containment.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2002, 08:45:11 AM »
Turnabout is fair play I guess.  But us gun nuts don't need to play this Freudian crap.  We are right and they are wrong.

ra

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2002, 11:50:47 AM »
Julia wouldn't happen to be friends with Anne Coulter would she?

In typical NRA fashion she fails to notice the shades of gray. You know... the people out there that think the 2nd Amendment is just fine and that gun control is a good thing too.

She also incorrectly assumes that there aren't people that do know how to use and handle a weapon, but simply choose not to keep them at home.
sand

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2002, 12:11:43 PM »
I don't believe that you can have the 2nd and have gun control at the same time.   It is a paradox.   I distrust the motives of anyone who says you can.
lazs

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2002, 12:27:14 PM »
Ah... c'mon Laz, I trust you with the water. :)
sand

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2002, 01:45:42 PM »
But we do have the 2nd and gun control.

Check it out.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2002, 06:14:20 PM »
Ya know Sand.. I think ye missed the point.  She wasn't talking about "all the shades of gray", she was talking about folks that think the 2nd amendment is great with a bit of gun control added, or the people that are very competent in the handling of firearms but choose to not keep them at home.  She's talking about the weird named, smelly geek from jr high that everyone else picked on who is terrified of the thought of handling a firearm, let alone owning one.  And wants to pick on the folks who can do what he's terrified of doing in the only way he can.  And guess ya missed this tidbit:
This is not to say that sexual and psychological insecurities are the sole motivations driving the antigun male, or that they explain all men against guns.

And how typically anti-gun of you to try and broaden the scope of her writing by saying "in typical NRA fashion she fails to notice the shades of gray".

/shrug

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2002, 06:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by CavemanJ

And how typically anti-gun of you to try and broaden the scope of her writing by saying "in typical NRA fashion she fails to notice the shades of gray".

/shrug

I'm not anti-gun, I'm anti-NRA.

FWIW, I know how to handle a weapon. I just don't like them in the house. :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2002, 06:21:44 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2002, 06:25:58 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM

I'm not anti-gun, I'm anti-NRA.

FWIW, I know how to handle a weapon. I just don't like them in the house. :)

Ok, Gotcha.  I admit I tend forget that there are some pro-gun folks who are anti-NRA and tend to lump them in with the anti-gun crowd.  My apologies for that mistake.

I can respect not wanting them in the house.  My wife is the same way, worried about the kids finding them and what not.  That's why it's locked in a box with a combination lock (so they can't find the key :D )

Offline Mr. Blonde

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2002, 06:26:33 PM »
I guess it's that word 'control' that gets me all fired up.  Who in this great country likes it?  MT I admit there must be some regulation governing ownership of firearms, common sense regs not knee jerk reaction type that affect only law abiding citizens.  If you ever apply for a class 01 or 03 FFL or purchase a firearm you're asked those 11 majic questions, well 12 now since the introduction of the patriot act.  A background check is done and if you have no wants or warrants out on ya presto you can own that firearm you wanted.

But keeping those checks on file, having to register my firearms with the government, get mug shots taken at the police station, developing laws that makes more and more difficult to own a firearm does not sit well with me.  Uncle and the locals ought to go after those who abuse their rights and the rights of others when it comes to firearms.

Why am I being penalized when I haven't done anything wrong?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2002, 06:27:31 PM »
I like guns in general, love shooting them, especially full auto SMG :D,  in a safe controled environment but I have no need for them in my house right now.

Where do I fit in?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2002, 06:28:17 PM »
Originally posted by CavemanJ

I can respect not wanting them in the house.  My wife is the same way, worried about the kids finding them and what not.  That's why it's locked in a box with a combination lock (so they can't find the key :D )

My wife freaks out. :)  My mom stayed with us for a few days and left her pistol stashed in the closet. My wife had no clue. Literally shrieked when I checked the chamber and magazine to make sure the gun was clear and safe.
sand

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2002, 07:21:18 PM »
sandman... If you feel no need for a gun in your house then that is your choice.   I would never feel good about forcing you to keep one.    I just don't see why you want to limit my freedoms.
lazs

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2002, 09:39:29 PM »
fear of weapons is a known phobia, ask any doctor.

kids and guns are bad ...you always hear that.....lock up the guns , hide the guns, don't want no guns in the house

when i was a little kid, i knew the difference between a real gun and a toy gun, my dad let me play with a shotgun ( which was in a unlocked gun rack) but he told me "never point a gun at anything you don't want to kill" he taught me at a early age what guns were and we hunted together many years.

if your afraid of guns , don't be ashamed, just admit it, hey some people are afraid of high places

44MAG

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2002, 12:48:17 AM »
i read something once that said that people like to associate themselves with larger organizations (i.e. political parties, sports teams, etc) emotionally because, for the average person, their own accomplishments will never be enough to satisfy their ego needs....but maybe the person who wrote it is affraid of televised sports