Author Topic: Reperations..........  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Reperations..........
« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2002, 06:08:21 PM »
Originally posted by Airhead

Personally I don't think anyone here is in the Klan, but being Irish I would like to state that Tumor is a sellout house Paddy.

?????????????..........a who? heheheheheheh!
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Reperations..........
« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2002, 06:21:46 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn

And proper punctuation and grammar. Something else that's new to you, Tumour?

It's TUMOR (problem spelling Thrawn?)

Originally posted by Thrawn
Did you get that tip from Ms. Cleo?

Maybe you missed it the first time: IMHO
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Reperations..........
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2002, 07:09:11 PM »
"It's TUMOR (problem spelling Thrawn?) "

Bit me.  Your the one that can't spell tumour.

Originally posted by Tumor

Maybe you missed it the first time: IMHO

Yeah, your opinion is that certain events WILL happen, when you have no way of knowing whether or not they will...unless you can predict the future 100% accurately.

You may have an opinion on what MAY happen.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Reperations..........
« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2002, 07:32:53 PM »
Originally posted by Tumor

I'm not Airhead.  If I see a white guy walking towards me at night, dirty, wearing a bandana and covered with Tattoo's... I'd be allot more guardiant than if it were a black man in a suit.  IMHO that analogy is all about how the "guy walking towards me" presents himself.  Looks like a gangbanger, walks like a gangbanger, talks like a gangbanger... probably a gangbanger.  If thats profiling.. I'm so sorry but, get over it.  IF it's racist... go piss up a rope (not to anyone in particular).
Tumor

LOL I didn't state the obvious- I should have said "all things being equal," my point being that African Americans are as  succeptable to crime than whites are and just as concerned over crime- in fact most African Americans are middle class working folks who want the same things white middle class working folks want- a decent education for their kids, good jobs and less crime.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Reperations..........
« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2002, 07:52:24 PM »
"If I see a white guy walking towards me at night, dirty, wearing a bandana and covered with Tattoo's... I'd be allot more guardiant than if it were a black man in a suit. "

I'd be more likely to say, "Hi easymo, can I see your bike?".

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Reperations..........
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2002, 09:14:23 PM »
Pay reparations, but do it right.

First, you'd need to be certain that the black person in question is a direct descendant of slvaes. This is quite doable.

Then you have to work out how many hours his or her ancesotrs worked as a slave. You'd have to evaluate their efficiency as well.

Then you'd have to deduct money for any crimes his or her ancesotrs might have done - reparations work both ways.

Then you'd have to locate any descendants of white people who earned a buck on slaves. naturally, this would have to be fully documented.

You'd also have to remove anyone from the list who hasn't directly made any money, regardless of race. Very very easy to figure out.

Then you'd have to evaluate what the quality of life (materially and mentally) would have been for the descendants of slaves had they not been slaves, and modify the sum they'd receive accordingly. Of course, you'd also be forced to deduct all the money that has flown from the US government and lined the pockets of descendants of slaves.

Then you'd have to find a value for the lives of those lost (well, in name anyway) in the war against slavery, and deduct this as well.

Then you'd have to do the same for Indians. Before that, however, you'd have to do all this over again with the African tribes who stood for a good part of actually catching and selling people.

And why stop there? Slave trade went on for many hundreds of years before this. If we start this, we finish it.

Yes, I see that this has the potential to do lots more good than evil.l I therefore support it wholeheartedly, but only because the calculations are so simple.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Reperations..........
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2002, 09:59:43 PM »
........and all the forms must be completed in the applicant's own handwriting, in triplicate?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Reperations..........
« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2002, 11:26:42 PM »
Oh you forgot the Hebrews which were enslaved for 2000 years by the Egyptians.  Damn that's a toejamload of money.  Let's bankrupt the whole world because people want the easy road.

I'm a MacGregor, my clan in Scotland were hunted down for 170 years by the English because of the "MacGregor" name.  I could sue too?  No wait, I don't WANT a handout.

Chris Rock tells it like it is.  THAT is a comedian.  

Karaya2
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Reperations..........
« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2002, 01:30:29 AM »
Aren't MacGregors boarder Scots?

Offline ethernaut

• Zinc Member
Reperations..........
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2002, 02:14:28 AM »
StSanta preposterously wrote:
"Then you have to work out how many hours his or her ancesotrs worked as a slave. You'd have to evaluate their efficiency as well."

Are you even remotely implying that slavery was... employment? Even as a joke?

I can't get past that part of your post, because if you include "how many hours [the slaves] worked" as a premise, then your muddled thought process can't possibly get any clearer, cleaner, or sane.

What's your freedom worth?

And to everyone who wants to sue other governments for the enslavement of their ancestors... well? GO BACK to bloody England or Sweden or Poland and sue those governments! Why are you holding the United States government responsible for the systems of other countries? How is your argument relevant?

But let's take you seriously for a moment, for the sake of argument. How has slavery in those other countries in those other centuries continued to disenfranchise the Danes, the Swedes, the Poles, the whatevers? Have you been to Denmark or Sweden? Can you, at a glance, differentiate between a Dane and a Swede? I've been, and I can't. How about a Pole from a German?Understand?

As I pointed out, institutionalized discrimination lingered in this country until the 1960's. Affirmative Action sought to level the playing field, to make it fair for black Americans to compete in white corporate America, to live in suburban neighborhoods, to get a better education. You know, to be treated as Americans as opposed to black Americans. Welfare programs benefit more white Americans than black Americans. So someone explain to me this magnanimous windfall that "they" enjoy.

Tumor, I don't think reparations will be made for slavery, and not because of a potential outbreak of overt racism. Reparations won't work, because how can that kind of crime be recompensed? What formula will be used? And, of course, the people and their descendants who benefited the most from slavery aren't likely to hand over their fortunes. And people with fortunes have more political power. You know, I'm trying, and I can't simplify this issue to "pay only those who were directly enslaved." That argument is what's ridiculous about this conversation. There are far-reaching consequences, and that's what's being grappled with today.

By the way, Airhead, I understood your example with "all things being equal" being implied and didn't think I had to clarify it, either.

Arguing on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Reperations..........
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2002, 03:14:09 AM »
Yeah Ethernaut, I agree...blacks have mostly been ignored in their contributions to society, the greatest of which is the idea of soul and God.  Negros have contributed greatly to our culture and heritage.  They are great patriots.  I'm glad they're appreciated in the South, but not as slaves...as brothers.  

You see, we're not as backward as you think we are.  The average black probably feels this way.  We've had a long time to sort this out...and we know.:)

Les

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Reperations..........
« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2002, 04:09:44 AM »

Of the last 800 years or so, Denmark and Sweden has been at war for 142.

I wish to have reparations for the suffering my ancestors felt at the hand of the Swedes.

However, I grew up in Sweden. So i wish reparations for the cruel rule Denmark imposed on Sweden from time to time.

I need the money so I can pay reparations to the French and Britons for the Viking raids around 800-900 BC.

Shut the hell up before we invade ur arses :D
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Reperations..........
« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2002, 06:13:18 AM »
Are you even remotely implying that slavery was... employment? Even as a joke?

No I am not. You're inferring this.

But figuring out how to compensate and how much is a difficult task. Unless you suggest that there should be one amount for being a slave, of course, and this would be unfair against slaves who had it rougher than others. So payment must be in proportion to their efficiency, obedience and suffering.

I mean, we're saying that people profited from having slaves. I suggest we link how much reparations they'll receive to how much profit their owners made on them.

Which of course would mean we'd have to evaluate each slave individually.

I can't get past that part of your post, because if you include "how many hours [the slaves] worked" as a premise, then your muddled thought process can't possibly get any clearer, cleaner, or sane.

I'm not known to be delicate with my words - I state it exactly as I see it. I could have sugar coated it, but I am an inherently pragmatic man. And (I think) a fair one - and fairness is when you get paid individually based on your effort. Sure, there should be some kind of base sum in place for the enslavement alone. It could even be substantial. But we must go beyond that.

If you find it muddled, let me know and I'll clarify. I won't even be insulted by this baited attempt at an ad hominem attack.

What's your freedom worth?
Your life and the lives of everyone you love, and then some.

If I had to choose between you and me, I'd choose myself. I would, however, work towards your freedom.

But what you're inferring is that no price can be put on the suffering having ones freedom removed causes. I agree with this - so why even try? Or what I mean is, why should person Z be paid because person A was enslaved? And by whom? Are we talking Biblical style justice here - i.e that the sins of the grand grand grand grand mother/father is carried forth to the sons and daughters for eternity? (And thanks Adam and Eve for that deal, you bastards).

Even having said that, I stand by my initial statement - one should get paid according to ability, work load and other costs (in this case torture and slavery). Slavery alone is fine, but is just a part of the overall sum.

And to everyone who wants to sue other governments for the enslavement of their ancestors... well? GO BACK to bloody England or Sweden or Poland and sue those governments! Why are you holding the United States government responsible for the systems of other countries? How is your argument relevant?

Our arguments are relevant because it is exactly the same - the only difference is that slavery happened more recently. How can you argue that after some arbitrarily chosen time, reparation claims are void and ridiculous and still keep your credibility?  That the time period in question favours your argument but not the opponents is not just a mere coincidence.

And why don't we sue? Because here the courts aren't populated by idiotic ambitious morons elected by idiots. They'll see it as what it is - a disgraceful attempt to earn a buck on the suffering of ancestors we have no emotional connection to, except "they were ancestors of mine". They should be ashamed of themselves, trying to make money on the blood of their ancestors.

But let's take you seriously for a moment, for the sake of argument. How has slavery in those other countries in those other centuries continued to disenfranchise the Danes, the Swedes, the Poles, the whatevers? Have you been to Denmark or Sweden? Can you, at a glance, differentiate between a Dane and a Swede? I've been, and I can't. How about a Pole from a German?Understand?

The Swedes are always drunk. And why do you need to visualy be able to differentiate? We can do it with language, with culture, with choice of food and music. We can use their Golly-geened passports. Outsiders may not believe it, but the cultural differences between the Scandinavian countries are quite visible. I know. I was born in Denmark, moved to Sweden and grew up there and has now moved back to Denmark. I know the sentiments on both sides and more importantly. I *understand* them.

Ethernaut, I agree completely and fully with your statement about racism in the US. I also feel that in general, being black is a disadvantage, although one that is smaller now than in the 50s (at which time there was a system of apartheit in the US).

I disagree with you regarding whether reparations are appropriate for the following reasons:

1) African Americans have higher living standards than their relatives in Africa. However tough it as been for their ancestors, it has been good for them. Same for the original European immigrants - many went through hell, but their offspring are better off.

2) It'd be hard to judge how much should be paid in reparations. There are several reasons for this. One is that it is impossible to put a price on freedom. Another one is that even if one puts an arbitrarily chosen value on freedom, the reparations would still have to be adjusted according to how much profit was made from each individual slave. After all, the argument is that profit was made on the suffering of slaves (and this is an argument I do not dispute)

3) Giving reparations to individuals who have ancestors several hundred years back who have suffered is a backwards approach. Giving money to be used on a specific race is better, but that in of it self is a form of inequality. We now have racial equality (in theory) and introducing an element of inequality will be a step backwards. Instead, it should go to an overall fund *available for all AMERICANS* so that impoverished people get a shot at an education. Why think in races instead of in PEOPLE? This in of itself is part of a racist mindset dating back to slavery itself. Let the government and idndustries pay, but let the money do good for AMERICANS, regardless of colour or religion (or lack thereof).

4) If reparations are made, the US government is entitled to substract money that has specifically been spent on trying to improve the living conditions of African Americans. I'm not talking money that's available to all Ameridcans (such as medicare, social security), but specific things. Affirmative action would also have to be somehow undone, since the US government after paying reparations owe the black community nothing.

5) All African Americans will be given a one way plane ticket to their home country, to be used if they wish.

6) I think it is unethical to try to make a buck on someone elses suffering and hiding it with big words such as "slavery" and "ancestory". It's about money more than it's about justice, because God knows things cannot be undone. The unjustifiable will not be justifiable by a payment. It will be by reconciliation, and if money is part of it some 200 years after, I sincerely question what kind of reconciliation we're talking about.

7) This is a big one: WHO should pay? The government? The government would finance it throught taxes. Taxes hit everyone. Blacks could be exempt and they wouldn't be hit. However, why would you punish an Irish immigrant arriving in 1911 for what someone else did? Would you do it purely because of his skin colour? That, my friend, would be racist. So you'd have to let the government find descendants of people who benefitted on slavery and then tax them more. Then again, is it fair to tax a hard working father of five who barely manages toget enough cash for food and rent because his ancestor, who he is blissfully ignorant of, was an utter bastard? This is just the tip of the iceberg regarding payment.

I conclude that reparations cause more injustice that it settles. It is a good thing, a good  thought, but practically, it cannot be carried out in a fair manner.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2002, 06:18:05 AM by StSanta »

Offline H. Godwineson

• Nickel Member
Reperations..........
« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2002, 10:41:48 AM »
I'm SO CONFUSED! :(

Dad says I'm part Indian.  On top of that news, I just learned that Indians sometimes married Blacks!  That means that I could be part...B...Bl...Bla...

Oh horrors!  This means I gotta hate MYSELF!  I'll have to sell my sheet!

AAAGGGGHHHHH!

Shuckins :(

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Reperations..........
« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2002, 11:04:25 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Airhead and/or SaburoS why don't you all tell everyone exactly what makes either of you two so NON-RACIST...

You all seem to get a kick out of calling everyone else a racist and have many examples and smart bellybutton remarks calling others racist why not tell us some of the things and give examples from your daily lives showing how you guys are so NON-RACIST.

Cmon, lets see that! :)

I am soooo hurt that I was left out of this post!

I'm gonna take my ball and go play elsewhere!

:p