Author Topic: Buh bye  (Read 590 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Buh bye
« on: November 15, 2002, 07:42:52 PM »
Account cancelled due to game play issues.

I am simply not going to waste my online time flying 20 minutes to a fight, finding a nice 1 v 1 medium-altitude matchup, only to get killed by AAA before the bandit and I even merge.  I've squeaked about the ack and other ground-based fire, both mannable and AI, since the flakpanzer made it's debut.  It does absolutely nothing to enhance the air combat experience in the game; in fact it rather seriously degrades the fun factor.

I would expect to get shot down by ground fire vulching a field or buzzing a carrier, but when at 12,000 ft engaging in hard maneuvering several miles from the nearest facilities (a port and a carrier on the horizon), I do not reasonably expect AAA to interfere with air combat.  Yet it does in this game over and over.

A lower back injury has recently given me a lot of time off from work (I can't stand or even sit upright without lots of drugs controlling the pain) and I had hoped to kill some time in the arena, but instead I flew one final mission and cancelled my account.  It's not even a snap decision, rather the final straw resulting from what I've seen as a continual degredation of the game experience I originally found back in the Confirmed Kill beta.  I flew CK, WB, and AH for air combat, period.  Any feature or "gameplay" adjustment that takes away from air combat, whether it's moving the fields farther apart or adding in AI/manned guns that can make amazing shots far away from ground targets, directly results in less enjoyment for me.

I don't give a darn whether HTC changes a thing or who agrees/disagrees with me, because my account is already cancelled.  I just wanted my friends to know why I left and won't be back.  The trend has been in place for years and hasn't shown any hint of leaning back towards enhancing the air combat aspects of the game, so I'm done.  There is at least one other game out there that involves ONLY air combat, so I'll be playing those other games.

Sorry I won't be flying with my friends in here anymore.  I just can't STAND any more undeserved ack deaths interfering with the real game - air combat.  This used to be "Aces High", I'm very sad that it turned away from that years ago.

Respectfully

The player formerly known as eagl
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Buh bye
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2002, 08:00:34 PM »
Fighter pilots whine and moan too!
;)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Buh bye
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2002, 08:08:45 PM »
We call it "squeaking", and normally it's done at the bar with a few buddies, some beer, and either cigars or whatever tobacco products we brought home from the last deployment.

I'm at home, can't drink beer due to the vicodin, and my wife would kill me if I started smoking, so all you BBS readers get to read my last AH gameplay rant :D

On a good note, not only will I save the monthly fee, I get to hold off on $600 worth of hardware upgrades I was planning on making over the next few months.  My current system is plenty fast enough for GPL and "brand T" beta.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Buh bye
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2002, 08:10:31 PM »
Plenty of things to be irritated about... I just can't find one that's worth quitting over.
sand

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Buh bye
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2002, 08:10:44 PM »
whaaaaa etc.

Offline blutic

• Copper Member
Buh bye
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2002, 08:49:30 PM »
Now I know why my gunnery sucks! I take vicodin, soma and drink beer:)
It intensifies the AH effect :D

Blutik
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.—Dwight Eisenhower, April 16, 1953

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Buh bye
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2002, 08:53:59 PM »
Dam. I've had some really great fights with you. Got you in some ah films on some of my sorties back in the day. Learned some fightin with ya Eagle, your a hell of an online opponent.

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Buh bye
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2002, 09:03:47 PM »
Ya, lower back pain is the worse. Can be crippling at worse. I've been through that. Took a month off work once due to back pain then grueled for 5-6 more months with INTENSE back pain. Two months ago I finaly healed myself from that. Came back from a five mile jog, joints were loose, heart pumpin, back/left leg paining. Sat down and decided to try some different stretches. Sat in a chair, did a right elbow to left knee sorta stretch and felt a crackle, pop, crackle in my lower right back area. Instantly healed99%. Today my back is finaly straight, no more chronic pain (4 years after moto accident, slammed into a sound barrier behind a freeway ramp).

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Buh bye
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2002, 10:04:25 PM »
Dammit Eagl!

It's been great flying with ya, and sharing a note or two.  I will watch and wait to see if one of these days you decide to jump back in and give it a try again.  We can wing up against that evil Drex.

I hope your back heals soon, only had back problems once and it really sucks, as you well know.  I won't ask how you did it, I'll just assume it was related to bold feats of daring and adventure.  :)

good luck and take care,

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Buh bye
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2002, 10:47:24 PM »
ah another misconception that is held by HTC:

continuos flak above 3k near cv is fun!
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Buh bye
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2002, 10:50:43 PM »
"This used to be "Aces High", I'm very sad that it turned away from that years ago. "

Aint it the truth!

Not a bad first person shooter though.  If your into that sort a thing.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Buh bye
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2002, 11:17:00 PM »
be chillen..........

Cant disagree with you.  Ive had more than my share of those BS ack shots over the past couple of years.  Irritating? Sure.  What I would find far better than the current ack is a more active flak environment where the closer I get and the more intense the ack becomes the more pings I hear from incidental splinter hits, with the occasional damaged component and the rare catostrophic hit, especially at longer ranges.  As it is I can fly thru dumb ack all friggen day and nary a ping.  Then, out the wild blue yonder KerSmash!!!!! back in tower.  It really is BS as it currently is modeled.

Also, bear in mind that if I was going to quit today it would be for one of several other reasons a HELL OF A LOT more irritating and disruptive to "my gameplay experience" than the stupid ack trick.

In any event, my fascination with the era and genre has waned quite a bit lately due to massive overcrowding and general run-o-the-mill dweebery but I find that I still have fun, mostly.  What really keeps me engaged is hoping for better things in future releases.

Once those stop then Im on the short list outta here.

Cheers Eagl, pop another vic, put on some good 60s acid rock and float downstream :)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Buh bye
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2002, 11:33:08 PM »
Is brand T going to be worth the wait? Come on, you can say yay or nay.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Buh bye
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2002, 11:45:35 PM »
I can't say much about brand T and stay within NDA, and I certainly don't want to show disrespect to HTC by discussing it in this forum.  I will only say that while it shows great promise and development continues at a good pace, it's also well over a year past the original open beta release estimate.  At this point it is definately NOT a substitute for a product like AH.  

Don't get me wrong, HTC has done a great job with AH.  It has just been steadily moving away from the game feature that got me playing in the first place.   I suspect that my fixation on air combat puts me in the minority in the online gaming community, but I've been a combat aviation nut since age 10.  Airfields and ground targets make great excuses to fly somewhere and fight, but that's all they are to me and when those features interfere with the dogfight, they detract from the game in my opinion.

I should look into what is necessary to play H2H...  Can I do that without a paying account?  I suppose I should have looked into that before I deleted my account, but I'm not going to pay one more penny to fight AAA, boats, or pickup trucks with guns.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Buh bye
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2002, 12:21:56 AM »
"pickup trucks with guns"

Move to Alabama :D

Sorry to see you go Eagl, take care :)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.