Author Topic: New trend in AH  (Read 295 times)

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
New trend in AH
« on: November 21, 2002, 08:28:45 PM »
Just had the misfortune of witnessing some players on channel 1  discussing what country all the sideswitchers should jump to in order to reset the pizza map. People were openly pleading their case as to why their country should recieve all the transiant pile-its.  

I'm not sure what the answer is to people becoming tired of playing on any particular map, for whatever the reason may be. But I for one, am not pleased with the current trend of sideswitchers, grouping-up in mass numbers & Gang-Bang/LandGrabbin whatever direction has the least resistance.

I am sure that each new T.O.D. will bring new circumstances as there are indeed a few squads out there who enlist pilots with moral fiber. These squads make changes in  pursuit of a better playing field for all.  However they are unfortunately not the majority.

Can't wait for the first....  the latest trend sucks.

Anton

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: New trend in AH
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2002, 08:37:36 PM »
Originally posted by anton
...indeed a few squads out there who enlist pilots with moral fiber. These squads make changes in  pursuit of a better playing field for all.

i'd like to think you were talking about the FDB's there anton....

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
New trend in AH
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2002, 08:43:06 PM »
puff, puff, give fish! you're fediddlein up the rotation!

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: New trend in AH
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2002, 09:09:30 PM »
Originally posted by anton
Just had the misfortune of witnessing some players on channel 1  discussing what country all the sideswitchers should jump to in order to reset the pizza map.
 Anton

i guess there are enough people who simply don't like the pizza map, and in no way want to get as stuck as long on it as we were on the baltic map?

just a guess?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline sparks2

• Zinc Member
New trend in AH
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2002, 09:43:25 PM »
I think what ever country you start tour on is country you stay on till tour done...
All these constant country jumpers spoil the game,
IMHO.
Just a short rant.

Offline Bonden

• Nickel Member
New trend in AH
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2002, 10:14:50 PM »
what he said

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
New trend in AH
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2002, 12:01:41 AM »
yeah

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
New trend in AH
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2002, 01:02:31 AM »
Switching sides, ganging, land grabbing, and kamakazi jabo runs are the result of the arena capture objective built into Aces High. Fighting is the least affective means by which to capture a base. And since it's natural to use the most affective methods, massive attacks, suicide jabo attacks and hitting undefended bases is the game. Win by any means possible.

I't would be much better if this arena objective was removed and the players left to create the game and set the objectives. More fun can be had just trying to destroy another single base by fighting the enemy to break through to their base. Many of these battles take place in AH, but they are spoiled by the massive land grabs that sweep through.

HiTech... eliminate arena capture and promote diversified game play.

grizzly

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
New trend in AH
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2002, 01:31:38 AM »
Personaly i think side changing in the MA is lame, howeaver their are exception's some squads that do it regulary once per tour would be one, another would be the recent attempt to right the imbalance in rookland.

But to do it because you dont like the map is...

But then agin I like the Pizza Map.

The MA will never get away from, base capture, even in the CT we generaly experance lower attandance levals when base capture is not part of the objective.

If all you want to do is furball in fighters then the no base capture thing might be good for you, howeaver their are many other mishion types it opens up, usng Jabo's bombers and GV's all become viable means with which to KILL and have fun with base capture, base capture provides the imputious to fight, it as a vital component to the MA and to AH as the internet.

Offline Rotorian

• Nickel Member
New trend in AH
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2002, 03:52:09 AM »
Originally posted by Grizzly

HiTech... eliminate arena capture and promote diversified game play.

grizzly

WOOT! WOOT!

Go Grizzly, Go Grizzly, Go Grizzly!

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
New trend in AH
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2002, 06:15:17 AM »
Originally posted by brady
The MA will never get away from, base capture, even in the CT we generaly experance lower attandance levals when base capture is not part of the objective.
Grizzly did not say eliminate base capture - he said eliminate arena capture!  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
New trend in AH
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2002, 08:55:34 AM »
there still needs to be some sort of map reset paramter. otherwise you'll end up being unable to lift a porked, capped, vulched WhiteOwl (? or WhiteCat?)  damn the base base names are starting to fade from my feeble memory already.

i do however recall there were times in AW that my RR squad, with the help of other Az shut down Bz and Cz to one base each, both of which were capped, porked and being vulched mercilessly.

not much fun (for me) really.

even hardening and making uncapturable some "main base" will result in truly miserable conditions for the side being limited to using that base in the endgame.

daily map resets would still result in potential hours of misery at times.

no easy solution, and besides, i think the community has already made the self-determination to be a total capture hamstard-wheel. no one side is "forced" to "win." and fwiw, i doubt even removing the 25 perkies in each category would modify that ethos.

< shrug > play the hand as dealt.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
New trend in AH
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2002, 09:23:50 AM »
HTC has said they are doing something, so how about we wait and see what it is?

Offline AtmkRstr

• Nickel Member
New trend in AH
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2002, 09:31:37 AM »
To get rid of the Pizza map, instead of side switching why not just post a mission involving 50+ goons.  Launch from a high field (perhaps the one near HQ) and tell everyone to drop their troops from that high alt base.

Server Dies.

New Map.

In fact, next time I get bored with the pizza I'll do that. Cheers.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
New trend in AH
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2002, 09:39:15 AM »
Side switching is unfortunately going to be part of the game. What I don't like is what happened a few days ago - We (knits) were trying to take a base using a carrier, a bish with a high ranking swapped sides and steered the carrier away (no one on our side high enough to regain control) towards an enemy carrier. We lost our cruiser, altohugh to give him credit he did get the ememy carrier. Point is all the guys attacking the base wanted the carrier back off the base we were attacking. When asked to steer it back towards the base we basically got a FU. I think the idea of allowing one switch per tour is a good one and should be implemented as soon as possible.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory