Author Topic: A question for "Score potatos"  (Read 2391 times)

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
A question for "Score potatos"
« on: January 30, 2003, 06:48:02 PM »
This past tour I decided to make a little money and get a rank in the top 15. For the first week or so I had fun trying to keep #2, and logged somewhere around 30 hours in that week alone. And then it hit me; score whoring SUCKS. In past tours, every time I got shot down it wouldn't bother me much, but by christ.. it was REALLY aggrivating having it affect my fighter score so much. In fact, every time I did something wrong, I felt like putting my hand through the drywall. AH had become something more than a game to me; It felt more like a job.

Since that first week of the tour, I've logged a mere 10 hours, and I'll finish this tour with 40 hours total. Some of you may say 40 hours is alot, but since I started playing AH in September, I've logged at least 100 hours a tour. My question is to anyone who has tried to keep a low rank: Do you actually have FUN?
Army of Muppets

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 06:52:34 PM »
I tried to keep my rank under 1000 last tour. My wife moved to her mother's place and one of our neighbours sold their house. My 2.5 yr old son now has a permanent stutter. And the cat has vanished.

palef
Retired

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 06:59:36 PM »
I try to keep my rank over 1500, usually by never getting into a ground vehicle, never manning a field gun, never hopping into a PT Boat, and never flying a bomber.

I find that not doing the things that I find boring and lame goes a long way toward making me enjoy myself in Aces High.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline TWOLF

• Copper Member
Lesson Learned
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 07:39:08 PM »
I used to fly ETO2 in AW and ranked in the top ten often, and made top fighter 3 times.  When bigpac game out with the full plane set I went crazy stayed top fighter for about 2/3 of the 2nd camp before it dawned on me.  Hey!,  this isn't fun, it's work.  So I met a girl, got laid more often, had more fun and got some sun on occasion.  That was in 97, or 98 I am thinking.  Since then it's fly when I can, and keep it fun.  Screw the points.  I get shot down by the worst, and shoot down the best.  It's all part of the game, and now I am having a blast. Ranky schpanky, here's a hanky!

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 07:55:23 PM »
Ahh wetrat i know what you mean... During my score whoring month i went thru that period of dipression, where if i die to something stupid i would get upset..

After that month i went out and furballed the whole night, and died almost every time i upped..  But even after that month of score whoring i still find fun in rolling a box of B17's and heading to an HQ for fun.  Whoring every month day in and day out is not fun, and i will probebly never try it again.

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Re: A question for "Score potatos"
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 09:09:08 PM »
Originally posted by wetrat
... My question is to anyone who has tried to keep a low rank: Do you actually have FUN?

Chasing the really high ranks is really really really dull IMHO.

Been where you are start of tour 34. Took 2 weeks for me to start enjoying myself again.

I am managing to enjoy myself this tour though, even chasing the #15 spot (no point going any higher). I think moderation is the key. I'm flying how I want to fly but every now and again I'll see a good opportunity to bump one area or another of my stats in a short time and I'll take it. Stuff like logging on early morning when there a very few people on and taking a couple of VH bases on Pizza by yourself. It takes 10 minutes, you stand a good chance of success and bumps your score. Then you can spend the rest of your time enjoying yourself :)

Gatso

Offline -Concho-

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 10:01:16 PM »
Originally posted by palef
I tried to keep my rank under 1000 last tour. My wife moved to her mother's place and one of our neighbours sold their house. My 2.5 yr old son now has a permanent stutter. And the cat has vanished.

palef

roflmfao  :)

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2003, 10:22:40 PM »
Isn't that a country song?

Originally posted by palef

palef
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 10:47:16 PM »
Every once and a while I start off the tour with a bang.  I think, "Hey, I have a clean slate with zero deaths... lets try to keep it that way."  I get a decent rank for maybe the first week.  If it extends anything beyond a week I get my hopes up and try to continue it.  After 2 weeks it gets boooooring and extremely aggravating.

I know exactly what you mean wetrat.  I'd get pissed after being shot down!  The only reason I was shot  down is because I made a mistake... It sure isnt fun when ya take it out on the wrong people (inside and outside of AH!) :p (oops).  I won't let that happen again.  

Score whoring ain't for me.  Play the game, have fun, but geez, use that extra time logged and get a 2nd job if you want that $50 bucks.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2003, 11:41:23 PM »
I'm with Leviathan... I don't find any enjoyment out of manning a tank, flak or a boat and I think my AH ranking is regularly above 2,000.  The most I use my score for is to check out of curiousity and I can measure whether that was a good night or a bad night for me.  I've also decided to start flying perk planes until I get my perks down to 1,500.  Don't you think I'll be suicidal about it, but I am going to check these aircraft out and get embroiled in a few fights and mostly likely lose a few of them, but it's not really going to bother me.  That danged 262 is hard to hit anything with!

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2003, 12:18:23 AM »
I started the tour doing whatever I wanted.  I found that I liked that and ended the tour doing whatever I wanted.

What is this "score" thing I keep hearing about?

The great irony of it all... now that HTC is offering money... it really is being a "Score potato".

MiniD

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2003, 12:24:51 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
I try to keep my rank over 1500, usually by never getting into a ground vehicle, never manning a field gun, never hopping into a PT Boat, and never flying a bomber.

I find that not doing the things that I find boring and lame goes a long way toward making me enjoy myself in Aces High.

-- Todd/Leviathn

That's the gameplan for February... I might dweeb around in osties once in a while tho ;o
Army of Muppets

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2003, 02:21:03 AM »
wetrat exactly what u said. Hunting for score is Mega F***.
It spoils all ur fun. For me this is the last and only Tour where I'm flying for Score.

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2003, 02:34:54 AM »
I try as hard as I can to stay under the top 100 mark.

Taking off from vulched fields usually does the trick, and Bishop vulchers are never in short supply...  :D

Offline GPreddy

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2003, 04:26:27 AM »
Yer all dweebs the whole lot of ya one and all.  Yer going to die thats a given so dont let it bother ye. Ye cant escape it. Why ye think it bothers ye? It bothers more then jest you. Thats why the wagger ye just kilt cums up and chases ye again cus hes pist.

Chasing rank doesnt take the fun away far from it! Deja dont think ye fooled anyone either we all know yer aware of score. Lev the guns dont count for rank anyway so whats it matter?

I do a variety of things to have fun in the game and rank happens. What ye fail to realize is that everything that adds up to rank also adds up to dooty. Yer more able to do yer dooty if ye bomb factories and drive vehicles. A fighter cant capture a field and the more ye ask someone else to do the dooty the more thell see you dont do yers. If ye dont enjoy it dont do it but dont wine eether cus nun want to hear it.

Cant take failure yer dweebs!