Author Topic: AH loses a subscription..  (Read 1945 times)

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
AH loses a subscription..
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2003, 01:34:04 PM »
I live in Franklin Square, Nassau County.

My senior partner here at the firm lives on Hampton Hill Court, in Huntington. I'm out there more frequently than I would like.

You should drop by the museum on a Sunday. I'll give you the grand tour. If you come by when it warms up, I'll take you into the restoration hangar and show you the fully restored F-14, A-10, A-6, F-84, and F-105.

And of course, theres the warbirds we already have on display...P-47, F4F, F3F, TBM, F6F...etc.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2003, 01:36:20 PM »
Originally posted by Batz
You cant loose anything you never had. So people prefer other games. They will have reasons or make them up to explain their preference.

To make conclusions based on a single individual is meaningless.

No conclusions. Just making an observation. I'm not complaining. I feel sorry for the guy that misses out on all this just because of the Aesthetic beauty, or lack there of. I guess you could say the same about ugly chicks.

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2003, 02:10:23 PM »
That would be great muck, this Sunday doesn't look good but perhaps in a week and a half. I havent been to the museum yet, I know shocking isnt it.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2003, 02:20:47 PM »
Sure, sounds good.

I'm in the "Jet Age".

Just look for the maniac in full flight gear.

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2003, 02:44:34 PM »
I just plan on walking into the place and start yelling muckmaw at the top of my lungs. hehe

Offline Walker42

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2003, 02:50:06 PM »
I just saw a post on the WWII Online forums about Aces High.  It was frustrating not being able to reply to it.    

The jist of his post was saying that Aces High's Damage model was a joke.   Then he went on to say, and I quote  

Now, that being said, I can't wait for the Rats to finish the damage model they have in the works.

Holy cow.    How can you praise a damage model that isn't even finished?     Sure I believe it will be a great damage model in the future, but it is anything but that now.

I think I'll stick with a fully functional solid product, and not something half finished in every regards.  

I'm so glad I stumbled on to Aces High.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2003, 02:51:01 PM »
Sad part is....they'd know who you are talking about.

Seriously, ust go to the entrance to the gallery and tell the kid there your there to see Joe Pizzo. He'll point you in the right direction.

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2003, 03:28:16 PM »
So, the eye candy doesn't impress someone from the X-Box generation...

...if someone doesn't subscribe for the reason above then trying to explain the real merits of the game to them would be futile.

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2003, 03:56:28 PM »
Guys, have you played the GAME Battlefield 1942?

I nearly fell out of my tree when I finally worked out how to fly the aircraft. The graphics are SO good and smooth (GF4-4400, Duron 1.2GHZ with only 100mhz bus, 384meg 133 ram).

HTC have very wisely committed to a graphics overhall IMO.

I re-subscribed to AH about 9 months due to the gameplay and sim developement. It was a major re-adjustment to go back to the 'old style' graphics engine. In fact the graphics nearly kept me away. (please note, Im not talking about the 'art', the art is fine, but a 256x256 texture is nothing compared to 512x512 or 1024)

However when all is said and done, the most important item is the fidelity of the flight model, which I was more than happy with compared to the competition.

- - - - -

Please do not discount offhand that potential customers may dismiss AH because it looks 'old'. For every 1 person you hear about, another 99 will have the same opinon.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2003, 04:01:38 PM »
i don t know, I think the graphics of the planes are better in ah than in either wb or wwiiol.  The only part that sucks big floppy dd is the ground.  It is impossible to determine distance, or anything like that.  The only fun I had in wwiiol was whiping along the hills and roads watching the trees fly by (they recently upgraded the ground textures so they look even better now).

Damage model?  Read the forums at wwiiol, even the rats admit it is completely hosed.

WBs have cool hit animations now, but everything else looks like crap.

As for you lazy guys still using the over priced 486 you bought in the mid 90s.  Get a clue and a savings account.  Computers are cheap.  The fact that I dont get to see cool ground effects and hit animation is all your fault, well pisses me off.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2003, 04:41:40 PM »
Let's face it :) We're living in a rapidly developing age.

For most of the young people who would soon to be AH customers, their definition of "gameplay" includes "visual quality". In short, no matter how much fun the game itself would provide, it is meaningless to them if the visual sensation is lacking.

If only AH devotes more time into better lighting effects/tone for the graphic engine in overall, and makes it possible to use textures higher than 256x256, it'd be really something. The 3D modelling, IMO, is excellent.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2003, 04:46:17 PM »
...and that's not entirely unreasonable.  

Would you play Aces High if it had the graphics from the first version of Flight Simulator (written by Sub Logic) for the Apple ][ or the original PC?
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2003, 06:43:43 PM »
neXT had a great little flight sim included.

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2003, 06:44:31 PM »
Its amazing how big a difference the terrain makes. If you compare Kanttori's FinRus to some of the other maps, AH looks like another game.  GV fights on FinRus remind me of OFP. :)

That said, I do think WW2OL is the best looking online sim. Its *great* to do road reconnaisance, skimming the road, below the tree tops, flying through villages at 300mph. At high altitude the limitations of the WW2OL engine are evident, the "fog barrel" is much smaller than in AH.

I'm running 1600x1200@32bit, 2xAA, all settings maxed out. The higher settings you use, the more clear the differences between the games are.

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2003, 07:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Walker42
I just saw a post on the WWII Online forums about Aces High.  It was frustrating not being able to reply to it.    

The jist of his post was saying that Aces High's Damage model was a joke.   Then he went on to say, and I quote  

Holy cow.    How can you praise a damage model that isn't even finished?     Sure I believe it will be a great damage model in the future, but it is anything but that now.

I think I'll stick with a fully functional solid product, and not something half finished in every regards.  

I'm so glad I stumbled on to Aces High.

Does WW2OL even visually model damage?  I remember when you couldn't even see hit sprites on the plane you were firing at and no visual clues to the damage you inflicted.  Just some black smoke and then BOOM, kind of like AW's old visual damage model.

Ack-Ack