Author Topic: AH loses a subscription..  (Read 1957 times)

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
AH loses a subscription..
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2003, 08:02:10 PM »
no it still doesnt model damage.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2003, 09:52:02 PM »
It's funny how far the double stantards are brought in here, lots of the arguments about WWIIOL just makes me laugh :D
Of course it's also funny how people are bringing up long ago fixed bugs to make the game look even worse for other people.

Amazing how AH community has became so enclosed during the years.
Some people in here can't even accept the fact of someones preferring WWIIOL over AH... nor an another sim for that matter.

"There can be only one true god, it is paganism to believe in existance of other gods" - AH community 2003.

I for one, prefer WWIIOL over AH due to more fulfilling experience of a complete battlefield enviroment and theres no show stopper bugs or even severe ones in my opinion (it's not like AH nor any other game would be flawless!) - so bite me.

I encourage people to play the games they like, regardless of what the others say.

Offline Hades55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2003, 10:03:49 PM »
Me too also support game play against
heavy graphics.
Its simple, the very good graphics are
good only for 1-2 weeks, after you use them.
They are good only in 1 thing.
To atract people in first looking.
But the Game Play, you live with this
every day, its a way of life :) , let the
fact that many people go crazy if they need to upgrate every 6 months.
My case, i have a good system @ home, no problem with hvy graph, but i fly also
from my job with a notebook 1g ,64mb graph, 500 ram.
I already have some problems, locks, and
i have start to afraid that maby the next year it shall cant follow the development of AH.
I can upgate a home pc every
6months,
but not buy a new notebook.
With two words, i see the curent policy
of HT @ graphics as Right.

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2003, 10:42:48 PM »
Originally posted by Fishu
It's funny how far the double stantards are brought in here, lots of the arguments about WWIIOL just makes me laugh :D
Of course it's also funny how people are bringing up long ago fixed bugs to make the game look even worse for other people.

Amazing how AH community has became so enclosed during the years.
Some people in here can't even accept the fact of someones preferring WWIIOL over AH... nor an another sim for that matter.

"There can be only one true god, it is paganism to believe in existance of other gods" - AH community 2003.

I for one, prefer WWIIOL over AH due to more fulfilling experience of a complete battlefield enviroment and theres no show stopper bugs or even severe ones in my opinion (it's not like AH nor any other game would be flawless!) - so bite me.

I encourage people to play the games they like, regardless of what the others say.

Hmmmm, I read through the thread again after reading this, and I cant find any ranting and raving exept yours Fishu, everyone else simply stated what they did or did not like.
yer jumpin' at shadows.

Offline AGJV44_Rot 1

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2003, 11:10:27 PM »
As far as
visual damage that goes to Il-2 hands down.  
Player additions for the game Il-2.
Massive online Play.  AH and FA
Diversity of planes.  FA and Il-2
Eye candy all around Il-2 and FA
Cockpits Il-2
Ground war  AH

WE can all look at every aspect and put a point value on what we like.  For me I would love to see in AH Il-2's visual damage and cockpits and armament loadouts and player added skins.

I fly Ah because there is nothing out there for me that I can get everything I am looking for.  If Il-2 goes to a massive online support meaning 125-150 players its a no brainer where you will find me.  I say this because I love german rides not knocking AH on there selections but that's just me.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2003, 11:37:03 PM »
you can reskin any ah plane or object at 1024 x 1024 and fly it offline and you will see a huge improvement in eyecandy.

However Ht has made a descision to keep the download size and the min requirements at a point to apply to a wider audience.

You cant argue that that hasnt worked. But like every other game there are certain amount of folks who appreciate the eye candy more then game play.

However ah2 is otw and we will see.

Offline hardcase2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2003, 11:54:57 PM »
There is no graphical damage shown in ww2ol.  The damage is there tho.  Graphics are based on a polygon budget that allows even Odepus's 600mhz machine to play so I doubt they will ever look standalone state of the art. Ever had a wing burn off? The fire on the wing spreads damaging the lift surfaces, so that slowly over time the FM degrades requring more opposite stick to compensate. Eventually the wing falls off and the plane spirals in. Can you see it, no. Graphical damage is a front burner item. Since the switch to dx8.1 graphics can now be improved. Little eye candy...there is a shockwave(clearish white) that will knock guys around and the concussion will kill you. I saw the shockwave from a 1k bomb dropped by a 111. Coolest thing I have seen in a while.

I have been invited back to try AH and will do so. I will enjoy it, notice some bugs,  and still think I am having a good time. Figure I will be handed my hat for a while, but I have till March 15th to learn.

Yes, you are talking about two different games. WW2OL is very much improved. CRS is turning out updates as fast as possible. The 41 set is being worked on with a Spit V, Hurri II, 110C, new tank etc. There is talk of adding the Boys 55 Anti Tank gun and its German equivalent.Lots of optimizations, etc.

I wish there were a way for a free trial for newbies and returnees. You can d/l the full install for free and fly, tank etc offline. I suspect Strategy First won't let CRS have a free trail . SF will not let CRS sell Key Codes online except in Europe. So, who knows.

Offline TRiMmer

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2003, 11:57:24 PM »
I will relish any improvements of the sim we all enjoy.  I run at 1600x1200 and still have great frame rates.  Could AH be better? Yes, and they are working on that consistently.  Fishu and his brethren need to enjoy their game and stay out of ours.

trm

Offline Walker42

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2003, 07:54:32 AM »
Ack-Ack,

They have 4 kinds of visual damage in WWII Online.   White smoke, yellow smoke, black smoke, and fire.        These are always modeled as full blown leak, or fire.  No matter what the severity is.    

Hardcase2,

I want you to understand I wish WWII Online the best, and hope one day it results in a product worthy of playing for me.    In the mean time I want to throw out the facts on WWII Online's flight model as current.

1) No Parasitic drag.  Gear down, cockpit open, no performance loss at all.

2) Aircraft fly faster inverted.

3) No Structural Damage at all.   You have to hit the pilot, engine, fuel tanks, or control surfaces to bring it down.   Nothing else matters.

4) No structrural limits at all.    No matter how much damage that is done to your aircraft.  

5) Netcode seems to loose half your Rounds.   Proven to be majorly improved with the beta netcode that never went live.  The bandwidth was too expensive.

6) High Speed compression of control surfaces modeled on some aircraft,  not on others.

7) 64 Object biasing totally hosed.    You can see 64 Objects at one time, and unfortunately the first ones dropped seem to be the Enemy Aircraft your chasing.

8) I'll think of a few things later.  I haven't played since 1 Feb, but they haven't patched since then either.  So all of the above still applies.

This is just the FM.  Don't get me started on the Infantry model, Mystical Ordinance Server(Impossible to High Alt Bomb.), or Strategy layer.    I've read numerous times from people that if it wasn't for the squad they would be gone.   I've seen squads totally decimated, and Hardly any old timers are left in that game.

If Aces high would decide to model a full ground war in AH2.  No matter how cheesy it was done.   I believe WWII Online would be finished.     Of all the people out there complaining on WWII Online forums.   I wonder how many even read the AH manual?

A couple of features that are in AH, that are not in WWII Online.
1) The ability to bail out.
2) The ability to control multiple engine's individually.
3) The ability to rearm without respawning
4) Visible supply convoys, barges, and Trains
5) Damage to bases actually affect supplies, and Vehicles spawned.
6) A Navy!  And it can even be controlled.
7) The ability to jump into gunner positions of A/c in flight.
8) Bombers gunners that converge firing as one.
9) Adjustable Fuel, and ammo loadouts.
10) Adjustable Convergence
11) Weekly Senerios
12) Offline Drones to practice on
13) The Combat Theater for longer senerios
14) The Main arena when you just want to blow off some steam.
15) There's more, but I'll stop there.

I played WWII Online since it has been out.  I hold 2 inactive accounts to it currently.    I believe if all the half finished stuff in WWII Online was finished it would be great.  Unfortunately that will probably take them another 2 years or more.     Probably about the same time AH3 will be out.    

If you love WWII Online great, but please stop trying to pass it off as something better then AH.   That's like trying to tell me your half finished kit car Cobra with no body, and no interior.  Is better then my fully functional firebird.

Good Luck on WWII Online
S!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2003, 08:00:55 AM by Walker42 »

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2003, 08:36:53 AM »
Nice post Walker
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2003, 08:56:02 AM »
I too have been playing wwiiol for awhile.  Which makes the comment about bugs in ah very intersting to me.  

What bugs are you talking about?  I knew there was a ctd thing a while ago, but that never affected my computer.  

Ah has to be some of the most streamlined well thought out code ever.  I have never owned a game that performs as well as it does.  

Now I love the potential of wwiiol, but I am not all misty eyed about what it is now, which is buggy, slow, and hard to justify spending time in.

If you have to 'tune' your machine to get more than 30 fps than there is something fundementally wrong with it.

Also, as I stated last month when I went inactive again (had to try out the new planes and such), here is what they need to do over there at crs:

1. Include a vox (like ah, hell even aw had one)
2. Fix the view system.  For everyone.  As it stands now, looking around makes you feel like a guy with tunnel vision in full traction.  Particularly soldiers.
3.  Make the planes all behave the same.   Not one plane that is immune to some parts of physics and the next one is not.  Docdooms write up even spells out the fact that the only way to knock certain aircraft out of the sky is to shoot the pilot.
4.  Get the game to run smoothly and not take up 512 megs of ram.  It is a joke that a pentium 600 will run that game.  Only if you run on wimp bellybutton graphics and stay away from the airwar.

If they fixed all of these problems I would go and try it again.

erg

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2003, 09:33:10 AM »
My biggest gripe about wwiiol is the kill scoring.  I haven't played since the last promo so i don't know if it's been fixed or not.  I just can't see the point in playing if i don't feel like i've achieved anything- i can shootdown 3 or 4 planes only to find all i got were assists on the debriefing screen.  Other times I would ping a few planes and they would fly away and carry on killing.   Upon landing i get awarded 3 or 4 kills, i didn't get any satisfaction because i didn't feel i deserved them.  The same thing happens with tanks- I could make an enemy tank brew but only get an assist.

The 64 limit is annyoing too, however it's better than it was though.  Nothing like riding on a friendly truck only to have it dissapear with you falling  to the floor and the truck reappearing 30 secs later half a mile down the road LOL!:D
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline firbal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2003, 11:18:08 AM »
Graphics isn't everything, but good ones do add to the game. But game play I think is very important. For example, Steel Beast is a great tank sims. They've done upgrades but the game had very few bugs when release. Alot of fun if your into that. But the graphics are 2d. But it has a very loyal group that plays it. They are working on Steel Beast 2 which should will have an 3d graphics engine. In other words, if you build a good game, they will come.
Fireball
39th Fighter Squadron "Cobras in the Clouds"

Offline maxtor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2003, 11:22:13 AM »
You see people from time to time say "I'm leaving to play cya"  and they always come back.  I think that says a lot.

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2003, 12:17:57 PM »
no, please no, no graphics improvement, not till June...my FPS sucks as it is.