Author Topic: AH loses a subscription..  (Read 1956 times)

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
AH loses a subscription..
« on: February 19, 2003, 11:17:48 AM »
Not mine! Are you insane?

I volunteer at the Cradle of Aviation Museam on Long Island, and we have alot of people working there that are obviously into WWII era aircraft. This one guy, Eric said he was looking for a good game, so I gave him the AH sales pitch, and the web address.

2 weeks later, I run into Eric. He's hooked on WWIIOL. My reply...are you nuts? Did you try Aces High?

His response: "Yeah I tried it but the graphics such. They're still using polygons (I think was the word he used)."

I tried to explain to him how there is so much more to a game than eye candy, and that AH was getting an overhaul this year, etc. No convincing this guy.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, although it does not matter to those already addicted, for some people, eye candy is the initial attraction that gets them into the game, and learn the finer points of it.

Side note, my wife came home last night and was watching me in a dogfight. She knows nothing about computers. We went downstairs and were watching Discovery Wings. The AH commercial comes on and I tell her, that's the game I play. She says, "The graphics are kinda weak, are'nt they?"

I just rolled my eyes, and did not go into the sales pitch.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 11:24:51 AM »
Out of all the online sims I'd rate AH a close second to WBIII with WW2OL a distant fourth after Fighter Ace 3.5. WBIII has nice detailed models and undulating terrain but to me the textures used in AH look far better than the ones used in WBIII. I find the graphics engine of WW2OL looks very aged compared to the others. Graphics are not everything though but I still rate WW2OL behind AH and WBIII, some like it but it's just not for me

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2003, 11:32:47 AM »
Maybe I'm confused then. He said WWII online, and I said, that game is so buggy. He said it was'nt. So either we;re talking about 2 different games, or they fixed it to some extent.

Offline Walker42

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2003, 11:36:24 AM »
If only ToD would be launched with a ground war.   Ohhh Boy!

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2003, 11:50:31 AM »
There aro those who think graphics is the no 1 thing and those who appreciate gameplay before eye-candy.

I rather have the gameplay than graphics :)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 11:52:06 AM »
Originally posted by BlauK
There aro those who think graphics is the no 1 thing and those who appreciate gameplay before eye-candy.

I rather have the gameplay than graphics :)

I like both, but I don't like graphics that are going to make my computer obsolete, I like to get at least a couple years out of a chip before I'm forced to upgrade.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2003, 11:55:36 AM »
Isnt AH2 coming out late this year? I'm sure it will be some steps ahead of WB3 as far as graphic is concerned. Well, I hope :)
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Barney Fife

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 12:05:32 PM »
"Yeah I tried it but the graphics such. They're still using polygons ..."

ROFLMAO!  Yeah, what is every other 3D game in existence using....magic jellybeans?!  That's got to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2003, 12:07:36 PM by Barney Fife »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 12:19:22 PM »
Originally posted by Barney Fife
ROFLMAO!  Yeah, what is every other 3D game in existence using....magic jellybeans?!  That's got to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard.

Just a ignorant statement that meant he could see the polygons that make up the larger shapes. As opposed to smaller polygons that cannot be distinguished from the larger object.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2003, 12:28:38 PM »
I wonder what resolution he was running in.  With my new PC, I am running 1024x768 instead of 800x600 and AH looks 100% better.

What graphics engine DOESN'T use polygons anyway?  What else is there?

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2003, 12:35:17 PM »
damn dude i want to see that magic jelly bean game. is that like cell shadeing?

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2003, 01:01:46 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I like both, but I don't like graphics that are going to make my computer obsolete, I like to get at least a couple years out of a chip before I'm forced to upgrade.

HEAR!!!  HEAR!!!!

I agree 100%

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2003, 01:20:22 PM »
I guess most of AH`s "lacking" graphics is due to limitations imposed by the target platform.

Bump the polycount up, decrease the LOD bias, increase texture resolution - tadaaa....

I dunno HT, did you develop the engine yourselves or buy it ? If the latter is the case, why not just buy a new one ;)

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2003, 01:27:36 PM »
muckmaw

where in NY do you live, I live in Huntington currently.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2003, 01:31:44 PM »
You cant loose anything you never had. So people prefer other games. They will have reasons or make them up to explain their preference.

To make conclusions based on a single individual is meaningless.