Author Topic: US POWs  (Read 2921 times)

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
US POWs
« on: March 23, 2003, 10:41:13 AM »
five prisoners, including one woman.

Arab TV Shows Allegedly Captured Troops

Mar 23, 11:12 AM (ET)

DOHA, Qatar (AP) - The Arab satellite station Al-Jazeera aired footage from Iraqi television Sunday of interviews with what the station identified as captured American prisoners, and also showed bodies in uniform in an Iraqi morgue that it said were Americans.

There was no confirmation that the prisoners were U.S. troops, or if they were, what unit they were attached to. The U.S. Central Command had no comment.

On CBS's "Face the Nation," Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld said that if those are indeed coalition soldiers being shown on the Al-Jazeera TV footage, "those pictures are a violation of the Geneva Convention."

Four bodies could be seen lying on the floor of the room.

The station said the prisoners were captured around Nasiriyah, a major crossing point over the Euphrates northwest of Basra.

At least five prisoners, speaking American-accented English, were interviewed. Two were bandaged. Those interviewed included one woman.

Two of the prisoners identified their unit only as the 507th Maintenance.

One of the men, sitting up, was being interviewed by an unseen person holding a microphone labeled "Iraqi TV." The soldier spoke in English and at one point said: "I'm sorry. I don't understand you."

The narrator provided an Arabic translation, but it was possible to hear some of the comments in English.

"I come to shoot only if I am shot at," said one prisoner, who said he was from Kansas. Asked why he was fighting Iraqis, he replied: "They don't bother me; I don't bother them."

Another prisoner, who said he was from Texas, said only: "I follow orders."

A voice off-camera asked "how many officers" were in his unit.

"I don't know sir," the soldier replied.

One of the prisoners was shown lying on his back on a bed, with apparent wounds to both arms and hands and marks on his forehead. He had a bandage on one hand and what appeared to be dried blood on his shirt, arms and face.

Al Jazeera later showed additional footage of what appeared to be a fuel or water carrier parked along side a highway and a body in uniform with full gear and still wearing a helmet lying behind the carrier.

The U.S. Army's 507th Maintenance Company is based in Fort Bliss, Texas. The unit is part of the Army's 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade, which includes Patriot missile batteries.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
US POWs
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 10:48:00 AM »
all the US TV stations said they will not show this violation of the geneva convention.

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
US POWs
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 10:48:40 AM »
a Maintance unit.........they are so far behind:(
What the hell are they doing there, racing to see who can get to Baghdad first.
For christ sakes, you have too "Clean" the area not by pass it:(

How many freakin times did they call Umm Qasr "Clean".

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
US POWs
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2003, 11:05:46 AM »
one of the talking head generals, said they prolly took a wrong turn at a t-bone in the road and got ahead of the mainf force and fell right into nme hands.

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
US POWs
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2003, 11:15:25 AM »
I would bet the Main Combat body, passed some resistance racing to Baghdad, and the maintance unit was ambushed.

They had a "Water Buffalo" on the back of their truck.

(shakes head)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
US POWs
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2003, 11:21:36 AM »
Been looking for confirmation on this. Ain't run across it yet. I'm sure ya'll aren't yanking but I'd like to hear it for myself. It's just a little too close to the plot of that Paulie Shore movie.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
US POWs
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2003, 11:30:46 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Been looking for confirmation on this. Ain't run across it yet. I'm sure ya'll aren't yanking but I'd like to hear it for myself. It's just a little too close to the plot of that Paulie Shore movie.

don't think its a joke ...

on second thought, I ain't gonna post that, a screenshot of the dead is at drudge:
http://www.drudgereport.com
« Last Edit: March 23, 2003, 11:43:43 AM by Eagler »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline AtmkRstr

• Nickel Member
US POWs
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2003, 12:04:08 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
all the US TV stations said they will not show this violation of the geneva convention.

It's not a good idea to use this as evidence that the Iraqis are violating any kind of laws.  I remember seeing Iraqi prisoners on several western news stations during the first gulf war. I've even seen video of prisoners from afganistan on the same stations.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
US POWs
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2003, 12:07:43 PM »
What violation did the pictures show? (note: i haven't seen them)

At least I couldn't find anything about questioning or media in the geneva convention.

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
US POWs
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2003, 12:11:19 PM »
Interviewing them on TV is a violation. You won't see Iraqi POWs interviewed publicly by the US.

They are trying to break the Americans resolve, it might backfire on them.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
US POWs
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2003, 12:18:17 PM »
You're not allowed to show images of any kind of POWs.

We've already done that with the Iraqis in this current war.

But the odious line of questioning apparently thrown at these guys leaves me just sick.

The Iraqis better realise what kind of wind they are sewing here...
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
US POWs
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2003, 12:19:33 PM »
You're just repeating what's already in the article - questioning on TV is supposed to be a violation of the geneva convention.

What I was asking for is a pointer to the exact paragraph that prohibits it, because I can't find it.

edit: at least not in "UN Convention (I) for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces in the Field". Am I looking at the wrong document?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2003, 12:21:55 PM by ccvi »

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
US POWs
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2003, 12:23:41 PM »
No, I've heard the actual document quoted recently and any kind of images taken during conflict is prohibited under the Geneva convention. There's something in there about the dignity of man or something. I'll look it up.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
US POWs
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2003, 12:25:56 PM »
Originally posted by ccvi
You're just repeating what's already in the article - questioning on TV is supposed to be a violation of the geneva convention.

What I was asking for is a pointer to the exact paragraph that prohibits it, because I can't find it.

edit: at least not in "UN Convention (I) for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces in the Field". Am I looking at the wrong document?

Part 2, Article 13.

Likewise, prisoners of war must at all times be protected, particularly against acts of violence or intimidation and against insults and public curiosity

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
US POWs
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2003, 01:05:22 PM »
I'd like to see our people saying yes we would rather not see them on tv of course not.

But the fact is, we have been showing POW's on TV for the past couple of days.

So if they are in violation of the geneva convention for that, so are we.

I'd really like our media to quit broadcasting the images and video of our soldiers..wtf are they thinking.

wtf are they thinking!
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.