Author Topic: Comparison: Berlin 1989 vs Baghdad 2003  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Comparison: Berlin 1989 vs Baghdad 2003
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2003, 04:49:50 PM »
Originally posted by Martlet
Not a problem.  We've seen how well your weapon's work (soviet weapons).  Those ICBM's will make it to the Pacific, if you're lucky.

Like I said, there wouldn't be crap you could do about it.

LOL  the Soviet ICBMs dont have to cross the Pacific Ocean because they could just launch their ICBM based from Siberia (an SS-18 inferno for example with 20 warheads inside) and just cross through North Pole (where Santa lives) and hit all targets in USA.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2003, 05:58:08 PM by Ike 2K# »

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2003, 05:52:04 PM »
Originally posted by Ike 2K#
LOL  the Soviet ICBMs dont have to cross the Pacific Ocean because they could just launch their ICBM from Siberia (an SS-18 inferno for example with 20 warheads inside) and just cross through North Pole (where Santa lives) and hit all targets in USA.

In your dreams.  If they perform as well as everything else russia makes, and we can assume they will, then they'll never leave Siberia.

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2003, 06:10:01 PM »
In your dreams.  If they perform as well as everything else russia makes, and we can assume they will, then they'll never leave Siberia.

HERE ARE THE FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are the places where Soviet ICBMs are based

DO YOU SEE THE SS-17 SPANKER (UR-100MR) BASED IN YEDROVO SIBERIA??? That SS-17 has a range of 4062 miles and it can hit all parts of USA.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2003, 06:12:40 PM »
HERE ARE THE FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are the places where Soviet ICBMs are based

DO YOU SEE THE SS-17 SPANKER (UR-100MR) BASED IN YEDROVO SIBERIA??? That SS-17 has a range of 4062 miles and it can hit all parts of USA.

not if it's Made in Russia, it can't.

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2003, 06:23:44 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
C'mon, then try it.

Then don't say that I didn't warn you.

Cant yall 2 dorks just fight it out and not involve the rest of the free world in a nuclear exchange?

Cant we all just get along?

:D

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2003, 07:35:27 PM »
No more web cam for you Ike, or if it really is Froggie, no more for him. There's another thread for self pics.

Here's hoping they ban one or both of you guys.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2003, 07:43:34 PM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2003, 07:47:57 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
No more web cam for you Ike, or if it really is Froggie, no more for him. There's another thread for self pics.

Here's hoping they ban one or both of you guys.

actually, they didn't post that picture.

Frogman was linking something from somethingawful.com, rather than hosting the image himself.   somethingawful.com doesn't allow this, so they change the image linked to something disgusting, so that shows up instead.

That's why "I like to steal bandwidth" is on the image.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2003, 07:53:21 PM »
Ah, I see. And yet it is still up. Suspect if that is still the case tomorrow we'll be minus an Ike. HTC don't take kindly to such pics on their BB. Don't say you weren't warned Ike.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2003, 08:26:59 PM »
not if it's Made in Russia, it can't.

If you just look at the north pole, you'll see how close is USA and USSR.

Can't you tell between 100 miles and 4,062 miles? New York to Los angeles is 2462 miles away
« Last Edit: April 15, 2003, 08:42:51 PM by Ike 2K# »

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2003, 08:42:28 PM »
Originally posted by Frogm4n
they did make a sacrifice, i was trying to point out being stationed in another country isnt a sacrifice when its part of their job. plenty of civilians do it and do not call it a sacrifice, like akiron pointed out. the topic im whineing about is that we really didnt sacrifice anything in destroying the USSR's economy. It was already falling apart in the 70's, and if anything we benefited greatly from it.

I think you've got the wrong perception about military service overseas. I can't speak for the other services, but in the USN, most of us were not "stationed" in another country. We were deployed there. Our homes and our families were left behind for months. Standard West-Pac cruise was about six months in the 80's.

Certainly, one can argue that sea time was what we volunteered for, but the enormity of this decision is never felt at the recruiting office. In 1986, I spent 60 days at home. Throw out a fourth of those for "duty days" and that left 45 days to spend with my wife in a year. In 1988, I shipped out for 7.5 months just two weeks after the birth of my first child. Approximately three years later, I got out. I had more than enough.
sand

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2003, 09:09:54 PM »
If you just look at the north pole, you'll see how close is USA and USSR.

Can't you tell between 100 miles and 4,062 miles? New York to Los angeles is 2462 miles away

doesn't matter.  I'll bet the garbage wouldn't even take off.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2003, 09:48:53 PM »
10 bucks sez they splat against the rusted closed silo doors.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2003, 09:54:04 PM »
There are nukes at the north pole? And all this time I thought it was global warming.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2003, 09:54:48 PM »
You guys talking about the "sacrafice" over serving overseas don't know what you are talking about.  Scrafice compared to what?

My father was stationed at CFB Baden-Soellingen, Germany, from 1979 to 1984, serving with the 441 and 429 squads (1CAG) as part of Canada's NATO commitment.  Tours overseas were usually for four years.  We were there for 5.  That's because he got an extension for a year.  Almost every one tried to get an extension because servering in Europe rocked.  Hell, everyone tried to stationed there in the first place.  To quote my old man, "We worked hard and we played hard.".  

His family didn't get left behind, we went with him.  We lived on an off base PMQ in a fantastic, picturesque little town called Weitenung.  From our balcony we could see vineyards on rolling little hills leading up to larger hills covered with the pine trees of the Schartzwald.  On one of the hills we could clearly see a little castle, we called it "The Castle Named Ralph", just because.

France was 15 minutes away, Switzerland 2 hours.  We took trips all across Europe.  Good wine and liqour was dirt cheap.  Food, amazing.  And almost everything subsidised by DND.  There were swimming pool complexes in almost every town.  Car shows, beautiful citys and architechure the like of you won't see in North America.  DND used to send kids to ski in the Austrian Alps every year.

There were constant exchange programs between the NATO military forces.  Squadron fly ins, competitions.  But that was back when NATO was one big happy family.  My parents made friendships that are still alive and well today.

Without a doubt my father being stationed overseas was one of the best things to happen to my family.  And they were some of the best years of our lives.

Sacrafice compared to what?  Certainly not compared to servering in CFB Cold Lake, in northern Alberta freezing your bellybutton off in winter, surrounded by nothing wilderness for miles and miles.  Certainly not compared to being stationed on a naval vessel for months on end when you truely are separated from your family.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2003, 10:23:20 PM »
The sacrifice of serving in the military is enough, for most.

Of course, there are those that could never do anything else, therefore extended military service is a great opportunity.