Author Topic: Help revoke Bowling for Columbine's Oscar  (Read 5901 times)

Offline Imp

• Copper Member
Help revoke Bowling for Columbine's Oscar
« Reply #195 on: May 03, 2003, 07:12:49 AM »
Calm down.

I dont know the exact law in the US. Why should I, I live in Canada.

I just used extreme exemple to show that fully automatic weapons cause collateral damage. You know like killing innocents.

I was responding to lasz who seemed to be saying no weapons should be controled.

I sure hope they dont sell military AP rounds for the M16.

Are those M16 fully automatic or are they semi automatic versions sold to civilians?

I dont have a problem with semi auto M16 without AP bullets.

I know exactly what size the 5.56mm is, its almost the same as .22 cal. The bullets are small but 22 LR as incredible velocity.
5.56 x 45 probably as High Velocity also since AP depends on velocity.

Most anti terrorist units use 9mm weapons (MP5 is very common).

5.56mm and 7.62mm penetrates too much and could kill hostages.

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #196 on: May 03, 2003, 09:21:24 AM »
Originally posted by Imp
The reason Canada has much lower gun violence is simple:

You have to register your guns.

Which means:
If you get really pissed off at somebody and have a gun on you, you wont shoot because the gun is registered to you. Its an incredible concept.

As for criminals: They have to register there guns, so we always know who did it. Another incredible concept.

Two for one for only one billion dollars, what a bargain.

P.S.: Sarcasm intended.

Interesting.The criminals have to register their guns.How exactly do you enforce that?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #197 on: May 03, 2003, 09:40:24 AM »
Funked - just going back to that freedom thing - you like the "freedom" to own guns. I like the freedom not to. By which I mean that because of our relatively low homicide rate, people are able to relax at home and sleep well at nights, without the need for a loaded .44 Mag under the pillow - like that crazy Nicholls guy in BFC.

Another example of the double sided freedom concept is the issue of smoking in restaurants. What was it - 1995 (?) when all restaurants in NYC became non-smoking by law. Some might see this as an infringement upon the freedom of smokers, when in fact it extends the freedom of non smokers to breathe clean air. Smokers are a minority in Britain - same things is probably true in the US. (hehe, I read your "only in Kalifornia" thread :D)

I was hoping that Lazs would answer why he feels perfectly safe unarmed in a rough area of London, but feels the need to keep loaded guns at his residence in CA.

Anyhow, you're happy with your US style freedom, and I'm happy with the Euro version. :) We have a win/win situation!  Mr. Toad will fully approve!! :D

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #198 on: May 03, 2003, 09:41:28 AM »
dumb vader... I am not into controling riots... just keeping them from controling me.

As a civilian... I actually have more choice so far as loads go.

and imp... I do not believe that law abiding citizens should have any restrictions on types of firearms owned.   there should however be restrictions on how you use them.  
lazs

Offline Imp

• Copper Member
« Reply #199 on: May 03, 2003, 11:01:09 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
dumb vader... I am not into controling riots... just keeping them from controling me.

As a civilian... I actually have more choice so far as loads go.

and imp... I do not believe that law abiding citizens should have any restrictions on types of firearms owned.   there should however be restrictions on how you use them.  
lazs

The police have no way to enforce the laws limiting the use of firearms. Its easier to control types of guns that can be owned.

They will always be illegal weapons of course. Limiting them makes it less likely someone will be killed by them.

Maybe its time the US adopts a law similar to what Canada as not long ago. It makes membership to criminal groups a crime. We used it against bikers (Hell's Angels). That might help with street gang violence problems. Send them all to jail so they cant kill anyone.

Sox62

rotflmao, did you read the post scriptum?

I was being sarcastic. Next time ill add these :rolleyes:

What it meant is this: There is no way a criminal will register is gun which makes the registration useless. It wont prevent crime but it cost us 1 billion dollar (which is alot here in Canada.)

Also if someone gets angry at someone and decides to shoot him he wont think about is gun being registered so it wont prevent anything.

So basically its a useless law which cost us alot of dough.

They adopted it to please some whining women group :mad:

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
« Reply #200 on: May 03, 2003, 11:21:23 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Funked - just going back to that freedom thing - you like the "freedom" to own guns. I like the freedom not to. By which I mean that because of our relatively low homicide rate, people are able to relax at home and sleep well at nights, without the need for a loaded .44 Mag under the pillow - like that crazy Nicholls guy in BFC.

Another example of the double sided freedom concept is the issue of smoking in restaurants. What was it - 1995 (?) when all restaurants in NYC became non-smoking by law. Some might see this as an infringement upon the freedom of smokers, when in fact it extends the freedom of non smokers to breathe clean air. Smokers are a minority in Britain - same things is probably true in the US. (hehe, I read your "only in Kalifornia" thread :D)

In the U.S., a large # of crimes are prevented by the potential victims every year thru the use of those guns kept under the pillow, clipped beneath the bed, etc. Just because a single idiot, targeted by the film maker because he is an idiot, happens to follow the practice of hundreds of thousands of rational individuals does not make that practice an unwise one. Also, you'd think that in a documentary such a statistic (crimes prevented by legal gun ownership - before there is a victim, as opposed to after which is usually the case with police intervention no matter how dedicated the police may be) would be mentioned at least once.

The smoking equivalent exists for guns as well. You cannot decide to plink with your .22 pistol 'anywhere you feel like plinking'.

The problem with Moore and others like him is that they follow a classic pattern - they aren't arguing a point with facts. They are flooding the airwaves, soundwaves, etc. with false accusations and lies presented as facts to win popular (uneducated by personal experience) opinion over to their point of view. They know that once the laws are signed it's 100x harder to get the injustices imposed 'fixed'. The bottom line is that firearms are treated with great respect and great responsibility by the vast majority of those who own them legally in the U.S. And if lazs, or funkedup, or myself were to commit even a minor infraction when it comes to storage, use, or transportation of a firearm the firearm would be taken by the police and there would be serious fines and jail sentences involved.

And lazs would feel perfectly safe walking unarmed in a number of cities in the U.S. I'll bet, and in certain parts of certain cities and in certain parts of London if he knew the town like a local he wouldn't feel safe walking there no matter how he was armed.

America is not a wild west Nation held at the mercy of irresponsible gun toting psychos. Moore doesn't care to own firearms or shoot them, and he can score 'fight the establishment' points with his ilk by slandering a group of people that they know don't give a rat's bellybutton about their fame or the pseudo-power they wield due to that fame. Moore doens't give a damn about the kids killed at Columbine. He doesn't give a damn about the people killed in drive by shootings every week. He cares about them about as much as Jane Fonda cared about the people of Vietnam. Both used the suffering of people they didn't give a damn about to attack a hated enemy (the NRA, gun owners, the U.S. government) with false accusations of responsibility for the suffering of the victims.

I've been shown some training material that came from the Columbine shootings. The main cause of the majority of the deaths was that the 2 deputies who arrived on the scene had been so hamstrung - so mentally cowed - by the constant focus on 'liability' as opposed to finding the bad guys and shutting them down - that they sat and waiting for the proper support and authorization while people died...which is exactly what they had been trained/conditioned to do. Contrast that to the hostage situation in a German school a little over a year ago, where one of the first police officers on the scene basically 'made a gut check' and went into the situation without support as soon as he got there - and wound up saving a large # of lives.

Moore uses the alleged 'culture of violence' in the U.S. to explain the deaths at Columbine. It's the actual 'culture of don't make a call lest the 2d guessing people with no personal experience sue us into oblivion' that kept the very forces that could have ended the situation almost immediately from ever being used. But that doesn't sell movies or get you into swank parties in certain parts of hollywoodland.

"It is an occupational habit for actors on the political stage to distort the truth, for reasons and in way that vary with the nature of the power they hold. Autocrats, in direct control of all means of communication and expression, disguise the present and rewrite the past. Democrats, whose influence depends, happily, on their persuasiveness, expend so much energy trying to show their undertakings in the best possible light that they eventually lose the habit of thinking about the issues' substance. Their skill in presenting their case almost entirely replaces their interest in the facts. So that in free societies the past is sometimes misrepresented, not, as in slave societies, by crude censorship and lies, but suavely, through legitimate persuasion and the free propogation of an adulterated or entirely bogus version of an event. With repetition, this version joins the body of accepted ideas, those the masses believe; it acquires the status of truth, so firmly that hardly anyone thinks of checking the original facts for confirmation."

- Jean-Francois Revel, from 'How Democracies Perish' (1983)

Mike/wulfie

p.s. lazs - have you checked your healey email lately?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2003, 11:30:09 AM by wulfie »

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #201 on: May 03, 2003, 12:22:44 PM »
Originally posted by Imp

Sox62

rotflmao, did you read the post scriptum?

I was being sarcastic. Next time ill add these :rolleyes:

What it meant is this: There is no way a criminal will register is gun which makes the registration useless. It wont prevent crime but it cost us 1 billion dollar (which is alot here in Canada.) [/B]

Sorry,I wasn't sure which way that sarcasm was pointed-my bad.

I'm still not sure what  some people think registration would accomplish though.Even if they do the "fingerprint" bs,anyone who knows anything about firearms can easily alter the ballistics of a weapon after it's been fired.

In my mind,registration has one purpose only-to be able able to locate weapons if it's decided we aren't allowed to own them anymore.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #202 on: May 03, 2003, 12:50:30 PM »
You have to register a car - why not a gun?

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
« Reply #203 on: May 03, 2003, 01:02:06 PM »

Cars are used far more - were talking orders of magnitude here - than guns are.

Your average person living in any urban or semi-urban area in the U.S. is far more at risk of being killed or injured thru idiotic car usage than idiotic gun usage.

Cars have impacts on roads (wear and tear), environment (emissions), etc. Car registration $$$ is applied to the cost of maintaining car related infrastructure and towards maintaining records dealing with necessary enforcement of car operation (driving record, liability insurance, etc.) among other things.

It's more important because misuse of cars kills far more people every year in the U.S. than misuse of guns does.

As far as gun registration, I'm fairly sure that the purchase of any new gun from a dealer results in effectively 'automatic' registration in the U.S. today. It's been awhile since I bought a new firearm someone more current feel free to correct me? From what I know (and I'm not as well read/learned/etc. on the topic as some of the NRA members on this BBS, not an NRA member yet) the argument was against passing registration rules that would allow some Grandpa in Arkansas to be thrown in jail because he listens to the radio 1x a week at most and forgot he needed to drive all the way to the big city to register his 65 year old deer rifle. What's the point?

Mike/wulfie

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #204 on: May 03, 2003, 01:02:11 PM »

Because a car is a privilege-not a constitutional right.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Worse things have happened!
« Reply #205 on: May 03, 2003, 01:49:58 PM »
Originally posted by wulfie
... the argument was against passing registration rules that would allow some Grandpa in Arkansas to be thrown in jail because he listens to the radio 1x a week at most and forgot he needed to drive all the way to the big city to register his 65 year old deer rifle. What's the point?

Mike/wulfie
You say that, but I remember many years ago a bunch of elderly residents at an old people's home in Florida being arrested for gambling! :eek: The were having a private game of cards, and playing for money. Apparently, freedom in America does not extend to gambling. Well maybe things have changed since. Here there is no such restriction, although in a public place gambling is limited to small stakes games - cribbage, shove ha'penny, and that sort of thing.

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #206 on: May 03, 2003, 03:46:27 PM »
According to the oscars website, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, a professional honorary organization of over 6,000 motion picture professionals, was organized in May, 1927, as a non-profit corporation chartered under the laws of California.
The corporation's rules for their awards state:
Rule Twelve
Special Rules for The Documentary Awards

I. Definition
1. An eligible documentary film is defined as a theatrically released non-fiction motion picture dealing creatively with cultural, artistic, historical, social, scientific, economic or other subjects. It may be photographed in actual occurrence, or may employ partial re-enactment, stock footage, stills, animation, stop-motion or other techniques, as long as the emphasis is on fact and not on fiction.

2. A film that is primarily a promotional film, a purely technical instructional film or an essentially unfiltered record of a performance will not be considered eligible for consideration for the Documentary awards.

V. Voting
1. All eligible documentaries will be screened for Documentary Branch Screening Committees. The Preliminary Screening and Semi-Final Committees will be made up of active and life members of the Documentary Branch who serve on a volunteer basis.

2. Nominations will be determined by an averaged point system of voting using 10, 9.5, 9, 8.5, 8, 7.5, 7, 6.5 or 6. Those films receiving an average score of 8.0 or more shall be eligible for nomination. However, there may not be more than five nor fewer than three nominations. Final voting shall be restricted to active and life Academy members who have viewed all of the nominated achievements in a theatrical setting. Viewing Documentary entries on videocassette will NOT qualify a member for voting purposes in the Final voting stage of these categories, with the exception of Screening Committee members who have participated in the Preliminary and/or Semi-Final voting process.

3. The Documentary Branch Executive Committee shall determine and resolve all questions of eligibility or submissions for this year. Additional or altered viewing procedures may be issued to accommodate such annual factors as the number of entries, total viewing hours, size of viewing groups, available venues, or other considerations.
The italic bold bits are my emphases. Source

I really don't see the problem with a corporation vetting entries for it's own awards the way it wants to, but if the NRA and pro gun guys want to give the film and Michael Moore a whole bunch of extra publicity for free, then they should go for it and try to get the Oscar revoked. Personally, until I saw all the uproar, I had no desire to see the film - indeed I hadn't even heard of it - but I'm tempted to go pick up a copy now. So there's a couple more bucks going into Michael Moore's pocket because of this revocation campaign. He is no doubt laughing all the way to the bank.

IMO, going for the revocation of the "best motion picture" award going to "Chicago" would be much more worthwhile cause, and to my mind on much less dodgy territory. It was appallingly trite, gash nonsense - an adult version of Bugsy Malone, but without any of the wit, originality, plot, acting skills or splurge guns. The cinematic equivalent of a trip to the accountant to sort out 5 years' worth of returns- and all the naughty underwear in the world couldn't make a difference. Even if Bowling for Columbine was proven to be complete fiction, its winning best documentary award, is much less of a stretch than Chicago getting best picture. I console myself with the annual Oscar mantra: "It's the Oscars, for fediddle's sake. They wouldn't know a good film if it bit them."
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #207 on: May 03, 2003, 03:49:49 PM »
Personally, until I saw all the uproar, I had no desire to see the film - indeed I hadn't even heard of it - but I'm tempted to go pick up a copy now.
Same here. Anyway, dead, I would be happy to burn you a copy of the movie, and send it to you.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #208 on: May 03, 2003, 03:59:19 PM »
Funked - just going back to that freedom thing - you like the "freedom" to own guns. I like the freedom not to...  
...Anyhow, you're happy with your US style freedom, and I'm happy with the Euro version. :) We have a win/win situation!  Mr. Toad will fully approve!! :D

It's very simple.  

More Freedom = Less government restriction of my behavior.

More government restriction of my behavior = Less Freedom.

If you want to redefine freedom in some other manner, go ahead, but I won't follow you.

PS Everyone in the USA is free not to own guns.  I don't own any at this time.  It's not in the budget right now and I don't have a need for them.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #209 on: May 03, 2003, 04:20:36 PM »
funked...unless you live in the downtown core or hunt for food NOONE needs a gun...nothing like suburbanites with a gun that they will never use and if they ever need it will probably shoot themselves

all of that is irrelevant

unless theres some kind of scandal behind him winning it doesnt matter...