Author Topic: Help revoke Bowling for Columbine's Oscar  (Read 5879 times)

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Help revoke Bowling for Columbine's Oscar
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2003, 11:06:00 AM »
god bless michael moore.

great movie.

was a shame seeing heston disgraced retreating from civil conversation. i wonder how much he got paid to torture thos folks.

p.s. im a gun lover and nra cirtified range instructor but wont join the nra specificaly for stunts like that. moors right depoliticise the nra. loose moses.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2003, 11:20:55 AM »
depoliticise the nra

depoliticise Oscar.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2003, 11:23:18 AM »
OK, OK... I've turned off my troll light. And I only had it half on before. ;) I agree partly with Creamo - I'm not really making a good point, but that's because I don't know what I'm arguing against. By which I mean that I'm puzzled as to why people want to rescind Moore's Oscar. I believe the reason to be one of the following, or a combination of one or Moore of these factors, but I don't know for sure which one, or the proportional breakdown should more than one reason apply: [list=1]
  • A movie was released as a documentary, but some people are angry because they feel it was not really a documentary.
  • A movie which was released as a documentary has won an award which many believe it did not deserve and who are angry about the lead figure having been awarded an Oscar.
  • The content of the movie deals with a subject close to the hearts of many Americans, and quotes statistics about which many every day folk are unaware, the main one being the 11,127 gun homicides. (Like many of the movie's critics, I could find no year in which 11,127 was the actual figure. Sometimes more, sometimes less)
  • Moore is seen as an NRA infiltrator who his using his knowledge of that organisation to garner support against it, and to champion the cause for more gun control.
  • The NRA/gun lobby is upset that guns and even gun lobbyists have been portrayed in such a bad light, and now seek to discredit Moore in any way they can. Were they to actually succeed in getting Moore's Oscar rescinded (unlikely) they will have something tangible that they can hold up in front of the American public and say that "it was all lies! Guns are great after all!"
Assuming that the movie was reclassified in another category, it would still exist. Even if Moore's Oscar award was rescinded, the movie would still be available for all to see.

I am reminded of a situation that arose back in the 1980s. Former MI5 agent Peter Wright had written an inside account of his service, released in a book called "Spycatcher". The then Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, had it banned! So what happened? An otherwise nondescript book became an overnight bestseller. I bought my copy in Chicago, and brought it back. Boring as hell, I only got about one third into it. My point is (Creamo pay attention now!) that the book became a best seller because of all the publicity, and not because it was an interesting book - it wasn't.

I see the same thing happening with BFC. The furore created by the NRA and other gunlobbyists and "rescind the oscar" campaigners has given this movie/documentary/cinematographic work a springboard to fame. I might never otherwise have heard of it. Bet you wish I hadn't! I downloaded it from Kazaa. Ban Kazaa!!

Midnight Target - have you seen BFC? You mention Moore's NRA membership, and indeed he does mention it himself when introducing himself to Heston. Heston gives a nod of approval. :) I wondered if you had seen that part.

The NRA/Gun Lobby is in no way threatened by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, it's just plain redikulolous. :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 11:27:13 AM by beet1e »

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2003, 11:29:06 AM »
Assuming that the movie was reclassified in another category, it would still exist. Even if Moore's Oscar award was rescinded, the movie would still be available for all to see.
Wow.. way to go... now you are starting to come around.  What was that you were saying about freedom of speech earlier?

Oh yea... and your complete and total failure to realize that an accadamy award for best "documentary" does lend a film more legitimacy than is deserved is duly noted.

Other than that, the rest of your point is "why even bother"... after some 20 posts from you in this thread.

Many people don't aprove of the "Acadamy's stamp of aproval" for a film with made up and doctored facts.  It just seems there is a debate over just how much weight that stamp carries.  But, you cannot deny that it does have some value.

MiniD

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2003, 11:30:56 AM »
Moore is seen as an NRA infiltrator

Anyone can join the NRA, it's not like you have to pass a polygraph and a marksmanship test to get in.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2003, 11:33:11 AM »
By the way beet1e... did you ever stop to wonder why you had to come up with a completely different set of points for this, your 20th post in this thread?

The hub-bub about the movie may or may not be making it more popular and giving it more exposure.  The acadamy award did for sure... but you say that really doesn't matter.

Of course, you also take the chance to slap the movie back in people's faces whenever you get the chance, while saying its only them that are giving the movie more exposure.

Irony abounds today.

MiniD

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2003, 11:37:56 AM »
Originally posted by ra
Anyone can join the NRA, it's not like you have to pass a polygraph and a marksmanship test to get in.
Yes, but you need the polygraph to learn the secret handshake and be included on the NRA's plan for world domination.

Well, for not having an agenda, anti-gun people have made the NRA a viled household name.  Whenever there is a shooting, the NRA is called and asked to "support" it.  Damn those villains.  When ever another gun is banned, the NRA is called and asked why they faught against the ban... Damn those villians to hell.

Its just amazing how many people either actively or whitlessly sit back and watch people chisle away at the constitution.  Its even more amazing how these people respond when called out on it.

MiniD

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2003, 11:40:56 AM »
There isn't a moral highground here for the "banners"(edit - "revokers").

While I mentioned Disney's "Living Desert" as a lark earlier, it is well known that many scenes in nature documentaries are staged. That often animals are placed in proximity to prey to facilitate a kill. That some of the shots **gasp** are staged in a studio.

So why not a move to recind the Oscar for best documentary of 1954?  

One reason.... GUNS.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 11:47:22 AM by midnight Target »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2003, 11:45:52 AM »
OK... I'm not supposed to let this secret out but

The NRA and PNAC are one in the same! Sshhh!

(whop, whop, whop, whop....)

Arggggh! The black helos! I forgot the foil helmet!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2003, 11:49:30 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
There isn't a moral highground here for the "banners".

While I mentioned Disney's "Living Desert" as a lark earlier, it is well known that many scenes in nature documentaries are staged. That often animals are placed in proximity to prey to facilitate a kill. That some of the shots **gasp** are staged in a studio.

One reason.... GUNS.
I'm sorry... is that movie being used as a political tool these days MT?  As much as you keep trying to say it is the same thing... I have to disagree.

Guns?  Yes... that is what the movie (BFC) is about.  Gun ownership.  People aren't upset because its about guns, people are upset because it misrepresents them and their organization in more than one instance.

Tell me once again what organization that disney movie was targetting?

MiniD

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2003, 11:49:56 AM »

Was there footage of polar bears in 'The Living Desert'?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2003, 11:50:14 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D
Yes, but you need the polygraph to learn the secret handshake and be included on the NRA's plan for world domination.
Hehe Mini D, three consecutive posts from you, and in none of them did you call me a love muffin. As you say, things are progressing!

As for that secret NRA handshake, why don't they just go around with one trouser leg rolled up to the knee. ;)

The NRA/Gun Lobby is in no way threatened by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, it's just plain redikulolous.  

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2003, 11:51:35 AM »
No need beet1e... you're calling yourself love muffin these days.

MiniD

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2003, 11:52:21 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
As for that secret NRA handshake, why don't they just go around with one trouser leg rolled up to the knee. ;)

Because we're not BRITISH, of course!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2003, 11:52:35 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
There isn't a moral highground here for the "banners"(edit - "revokers").

One reason.... GUNS.

Of course it's about guns. Makes little difference that Moore's rant was mostly lies and only fools those that wanna be fooled.

Certainly guns are misused, as are autos. Lot more folks die in needless auto accidents than in misuse of guns. You wanna give up driving?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.