Author Topic: The Passion  (Read 1935 times)

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
The Passion
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2004, 10:24:40 AM »
How can it be a life changing film? Its the same ole crucifiction of christ gig again. I mean how many times can they do it.. Everyone here that has heard of christanity has probably seen at least 2 film depictions of christ on a cross.. Is mel gonna change something and add a twist at the end? Will Jesus come back and lay waste to the jews that nailed him to the cross? Bring out the angles of death and rain fire down upon the ignorant masses??

IMO America has gone 'christ crazy'... No where in the bible does jesus christ say worship me.. No where does jesus christ say pray to me.. No where does jesus christ say he is the father.. No where does jesus christ say that he is god... Jesus was just a man.. Religious extremism and intollerance is sweeping our land in jesus christ's name..
- TWBYDHAS

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
The Passion
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2004, 10:26:38 AM »
I think the "jews" in hollyweird are pissed as they would not support him and he did it on his own nickel. they are the only ones upset about that neg spin

for this to be a "jew hater" movie is about as retarded as bens pearl harbor being a jap hater flick...
it is about the last days leading up to Christs suffering & sacrifice in the most realistic terms thus the R rating

if that offends some - sorry, don't see it and go on acting like it never happened.,.

good job Mel!
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
The Passion
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2004, 10:38:49 AM »
Originally posted by kappa
How can it be a life changing film? Its the same ole crucifiction of christ gig again. I mean how many times can they do it..

Not quite, Kappa, some things have changed.  For one thing, the Jews are no longer the "whipping boys" for imagined problems.  

The movie is rated "R" (I believe that's correct.)  It's rated "R" because of the incredible violence portrayed in the movie.

Violence on this scale was absent in all previous versions.  A good hair shirt does wonders for the soul. :)

The critics appear to be split -- half are saying it's garbage, the other half are enthralled.  It seems clear to me that 100% of the critics are telegraphing their religious convictions, not their opinion of the movie.

As others noted, the pope liked it (It is as it was).

Religious convictions aside, I intend to see it.  I anticipate it will be as well done as the Wallace movie.  And who knows, maybe it will revive interest in Aramaic, a language rapidly dying away.

gary

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
The Passion
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2004, 10:39:48 AM »
Originally posted by kappa
... Jesus was just a man..  

Did you forget about the walking on water, calming the storm, giving sight to the blind, raising the dead?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
The Passion
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2004, 10:43:33 AM »
Braveheart was 'well done'?

It was half-baked at best. He was portrayed as a Saint, as were his troops. They neglected to show the rape and murder of civilians in the North of England and especially York.

It was sanitized, anti-English crap with only one pair of tits in it. And she was killed at the beginning. Stupid film.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
The Passion
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2004, 10:43:46 AM »
Well I guess we can start preparing for a 12 hour epic of jews being tortured in the most henius way by christians.

Mel does have the courage of his convictions. As does his papa.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
The Passion
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2004, 10:49:17 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding
Braveheart was 'well done'?

It was half-baked at best. He was portrayed as a Saint, as were his troops. They neglected to show the rape and murder of civilians in the North of England and especially York.

It was sanitized, anti-English crap with only one pair of tits in it. And she was killed at the beginning. Stupid film.

Easy there my fine Englander.  :)  I didn't say it was accurate, just a well made movie.

curly
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 10:53:50 AM by AKcurly »

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
The Passion
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2004, 10:50:30 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Did you forget about the walking on water, calming the storm, giving sight to the blind, raising the dead?

I demand proof, preferably VHS, but beta is acceptable.

curly

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
The Passion
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2004, 10:55:30 AM »
How can depicting christ in his final 12 hours be a good thing. This movie is suppose to sport the most horific beating of christ to date? Didnt Mel say something like that? A more violent end to christ will not leave people with 'christ like feelings'.....

IMO Christ is suppose to represent what man can achieve here on earth. He was unconditional love and caring. Respect for your fellow man and know that man to be brother..

Christ died for our sins?? Christ was just a man. People die for/because of our sins every single second... There are and have been "christ like" people all thrughout history.. Most were never heard of. I simply say if one has died for his brother then he is 'christ like'...

Walking on water, calming the storm, and giving site to the blind are all metaphors in the bible, IMO... Are we to really believe that in the old testiment that there was actually a "Tower of Babalon" built that could reach heaven? Clearly a metaphor for something else..
- TWBYDHAS

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
The Passion
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2004, 10:56:03 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Thats a given too. Probably by the Gay Men of Jesus Christ Church, for not representing homosexual men in the film.

Nope the jews have already done that

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
The Passion
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2004, 10:58:12 AM »
Im going to see it just to spite all you soulless bastards.  :aok

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
The Passion
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2004, 10:58:16 AM »
Originally posted by AKcurly
I demand proof, preferably VHS, but beta is acceptable.

curly

Sorry Curly, I had it on beta but it faded after only a couple hundred years. ;)

The problem I have with those that claim Jesus was a prophet or philosopher or just a good man is that he wasn't. He was either the virgin born son of God, able to perform miracles and take the sin of all upon himself or he was a dastardly liar. No middle ground here imo.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
The Passion
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2004, 11:01:07 AM »
AKCurly - it had good battle scenes and a foxy Scottish chica at the start. So it wasn't all bad. ;)
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
The Passion
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2004, 11:04:50 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Sorry Curly, I had it on beta but it faded after only a couple hundred years. ;)

The problem I have with those that claim Jesus was a prophet or philosopher or just a good man is that he wasn't. He was either the virgin born son of God, able to perform miracles and take the sin of all upon himself or he was a dastardly liar. No middle ground here imo.

(In my best Dave Barry voice) I'm not taking a position here. :)

However, I'm sure it has occurred to you that Christ believed all of those things (virgin birth, miracles, sin) and none of them are true.

curly

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
The Passion
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2004, 11:11:56 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
Here is what I don't like about the film:

1.  Mel Gibson is a member of a sect of Christianity that refuses to hold Jews blameless for the death of Jesus.  
Hating Jews because they "killed Jesus" is about the stupidest thing any Christian could do.  If they didn't there would be no Christianity.

How do you get from "refuses to hold Jews blameless" to "hating Jews"?