Author Topic: The Passion  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
The Passion
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2004, 11:15:56 AM »
The one thing the story of Christ provides a lot of people is a way to life eternal in the glory of God.  Sounds good eh.  The Bible, and other similar documents provide humanity with a set of values unavailable in the animal world.  Values to live by.

The one thing I notice that seperates most religious people I know from athiests I know is that the people that believe in God tend to be happier overall then the people who think death is the end of themselves.

I say believe in whatever makes you happy.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
The Passion
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2004, 11:28:34 AM »
Originally posted by Yeager

The one thing I notice that seperates most religious people I know from athiests I know is that the people that believe in God tend to be happier overall then the people who think death is the end of themselves.

I say believe in whatever makes you happy.

I haven't noticed that Yeager.  I know many professed christians who are terrified of death.  I know many professed atheists who are terrified of death.

I know a few christians who look forward to their reward.  I knew a few atheists who view life as an interesting puzzle and anticipate death because it's the last thing they'll personally witness.

It is rarely safe to generalize about religious issues.

curly

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
The Passion
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2004, 11:43:31 AM »
If the accounts of Christ are not true then I have to go with liar Curly. There are too many things from his own mouth that delusion cannot account for. Of course many liars believe their own lies but I don't think that this is true for them at the beginning.

Anyhow, I choose to believe the accounts. My only fear of the unknown is that there may not be one. Tiny nagging doubt that I am usually successful at dispelling when I look to my faith.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
The Passion
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2004, 12:00:02 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
If the accounts of Christ are not true then I have to go with liar Curly. There are too many things from his own mouth that delusion cannot account for. Of course many liars believe their own lies but I don't think that this is true for them at the beginning.

Anyhow, I choose to believe the accounts. My only fear of the unknown is that there may not be one. Tiny nagging doubt that I am usually successful at dispelling when I look to my faith.

Well, religious hysteria can delude the senses.  Witness the children of Fatima (and many other similar examples.)  

And, how do you know you are reading the words of Christ?  Hundreds of years, hundreds of writers and no one can agree on the correct word for rock (reference to Peter.)

gary

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
The Passion
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2004, 12:08:53 PM »
if there is a existence after death , you will find out what it is, if there is no existence after death , it won't matter, because you will never know.  faith has nothing to do with it , what will be , will be.

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The Passion
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2004, 12:10:24 PM »
spoiler: Odin kicks jesus's ass

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
The Passion
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2004, 12:18:50 PM »
I haven't noticed that Yeager. I know many professed christians who are terrified of death.
====
Thats cool curly, we all see life through a unique set of balls...eyeballs that is.

The only other thing I would comment on is that the christians you know, those that profess to be believers sound like they arent all that commited if they are terrified of the glory of God.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
The Passion
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2004, 12:31:25 PM »
Funked...two dictinctly different points I was making, sorry I wasn't clear.

The first point is that he (Mel) has a "bias" against Jewish people by virtue of his membership in this sect.

The second point is that for those Christians who take this film as the "truth" and act out on their emotions and actually hate (or hurt) Jews because they were "responsible" for Jesus' death are idiots.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
The Passion
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2004, 12:32:06 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
I haven't noticed that Yeager. I know many professed christians who are terrified of death.
====
Thats cool curly, we all see life through a unique set of balls...eyeballs that is.

The only other thing I would comment on is that the christians you know, those that profess to be believers sound like they arent all that commited if they are terrified of the glory of God.

I was raised in a small town in Oklahoma a long time ago.  99.999% of the town professed to be christian.  The remaining 0.001% were drunk or they would have made it 100%.

I knew maybe 1 or 2 out of 1000 folks (including ministers) who looked forward to their death as a greeting time from god.

Primitive times, Yeager.  No doubt, the odds are much slimmer today in the US.  Now, if you would mosey over to the Middle East, you'll find all manner of god-fearing folks who jump at the opportunity to meet their god.

curly

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The Passion
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2004, 12:34:42 PM »
lol its just a squealing movie. They are trying to be historically accurate based on a book commissioned by the roman emporer. Its entertainment not a life moving experiance.

Btw if a movie changes the way you look at life, or you are moved spiritually by one more then any self awakeing your an idiot.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
The Passion
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2004, 12:42:05 PM »
Originally posted by Frogm4n
lol its just a squealing movie. They are trying to be historically accurate based on a book commissioned by the roman emporer. Its entertainment not a life moving experiance.

Btw if a movie changes the way you look at life, or you are moved spiritually by one more then any self awakeing your an idiot.

So you are saying your outlook on life has changed and this movie moved you spiritually?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
The Passion
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2004, 12:45:31 PM »
Frog...the Pope was quoted as saying this movie is "the truth".
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Nakhui

The Passion
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2004, 12:46:43 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Thats a given too. Probably by the Gay Men of Jesus Christ Church, for not representing homosexual men in the film.

Eh Dude! Jesus was 33 when he died, unmarried. Most Jewish men married at 13-16 when the life expectacy was less than 40 years. He showed no interest in women.

He hung around with 12 other men wearing dresses...preaching peace, love thy neighbor, and when one cheek gets spanked turn and show the other cheek so it can get just as rosey...

Come on!

It's obvious the Christ Dude was gay!

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
The Passion
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2004, 12:47:43 PM »
Curval, I don't think I follow your point on Catholics being anti-Semitic. The Jewish people held responsible for the crucifixion would be the teachers of the Law, which Jesus showed to be false. They are the ones who plotted his death. It certainly wouldn't be a condemnation of the Jewish as a whole.  The poster that said we are all responsible for Christ's crucifixion was right too- it's why He came. Our sins are what killed him.

You are right though, there would be no Christianity with Jews- I mean, c'mon, Jesus was a Jew. The Jewish are God's chosen people. Anyone that claims to be a Christian isn't getting any further than Genesis before seeing that.

People that walk out of the theater with anti-Semitic feelings in all likelihood walked in with the same feelings.

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The Passion
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2004, 12:49:01 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
Frog...the Pope was quoted as saying this movie is "the truth".

And? The pope is just another human being like you and me.