Author Topic: Boring and unstrategic maps  (Read 2403 times)

Offline TopQuark

• Zinc Member
Boring and unstrategic maps
« on: August 03, 2003, 02:23:01 PM »
This could be controversial but...

I think the maps in AH are extremely boring and there seems to be hardly any strategic element to them at all.

Basically, the problem is due to the fact that all the bases are about the same distance apart so the map as a whole is just a homogenous mass of bases. As bases get taken, the 'front' moves this way and that across the map but it's all just about numbers - slowly taking bases until one side is down to just one. A base capture is just another base for one side and one less for another - there are no real strategic implications or great turning points.

What I'd love to see is something like this - a map with three large landmasses (one initially belonging to each side) but seperated by a large distance (say six or seven sectors at the nearest point). To add some spice, a third central island with just one or two bases could sit in the middle and would provide an important stepping stone to whichever side owns it.

Also, more use could be made of high alt bases. Each landmass could get progressively higher from one side to the other so that an enemy could put some energy into taking a high alt base which would then give them an advantage to start sweeping across the rest of the landmass. More high alt action would also give planes like the ta152, p51b and the other high alt kites more of a useful role in the game (the ta152 might as well not exist at the moment, even though it kicks prettythang at alt).

Because the current maps have bases spread so evenly, it makes little difference where land ends and sea starts - the pizza map might as well just be land only.

Having large stretches of sea between landmasses would also give CVs the important role that they deserve.

What do people think ?

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 02:28:17 PM »
I think we would never hear the end of the whining :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 02:30:27 PM »
So what would be different NB?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 02:31:11 PM »
lots of bases close together create great furballs.

once map makers understand this the fights will be better.

dont need bases spread out over a map that is 3 times to big compared to the 256 maps.  need bases packed together in a strategic fashion that makes a domino effect
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2003, 03:28:54 PM »
What do people think ?

I think this community has more experts than map makers.

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2003, 04:08:36 PM »
Half the field distance than now would be interesting if at the same time the hangar toughness is reduced a lot and the number of troops required for capture increased.

This would disable flight at fields quickly, then create a furball over the target field where both attacking and defending party had to fly to (and thus both arrive at alt, not the defending side beeing vulched like now).

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 05:49:27 PM »
Originally posted by ccvi
Half the field distance than now would be interesting if at the same time the hangar toughness is reduced a lot and the number of troops required for capture increased.

If hangars were any softer, youd see them blow up when people with a bad connections sneezed.  As it stands now, a small group of 5-6 players can easily take a base by going in heavy, taking out all FH and VH in seconds.  Large bases take a few more people to do it that quickly...but nothing extrordinary.

If anything, maybe much stronger hangers (5000lbs or more to kill) with adjusted rebuild times to match (30 min without resuply....-10 min per supply goon).

BUt who knows...its all subjective, and any system will have its downside.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2003, 06:27:34 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
So what would be different NB?

Toad...

I realize that whining seems to be second only virtual killing for some (for some..it comes in first :)). Hell, after my first 2 weeks here, I told HT he should have named it Whiners High :D. The biggest difference for me...is that I  would join the whinefest. I didn't like the flight times in Trinity once I flew it a bit (just dint know HT would let me make major changes) and I don't like the flight times in Big Isles. (note: not whining YET...soon :D)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2003, 06:53:02 PM »
Originally posted by ALF
If hangars were any softer, youd see them blow up when people with a bad connections sneezed.  As it stands now, a small group of 5-6 players can easily take a base by going in heavy, taking out all FH and VH in seconds.  Large bases take a few more people to do it that quickly...but nothing extrordinary.

If anything, maybe much stronger hangers (5000lbs or more to kill) with adjusted rebuild times to match (30 min without resuply....-10 min per supply goon).

BUt who knows...its all subjective, and any system will have its downside.

If hangars are strafable, that will prevent upping at fields where upping would result in instant vulch death anyway. With extremely close fields it would be possible to fly in and fight on somewhat equal terms.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2003, 06:53:47 PM »
Originally posted by AKWabbit
I think this community has more experts than map makers.

Wab

~spewwww~

culero (LMAO and cleaning monitor)
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2003, 07:54:50 PM »
one doesn't have to be a map maker to read a map and know it's inaccurate.  One doesn't have to be a terrain designer to know the terrain SUX.

The big isle map is a nightmare, worse still than pizza... just terrible. I could go on for a long time (while I'm trying to find a fight on the big isle map, in spite of the fact that over 400 people are online).. but i'm as bored here as I am in the game.  Any rebates available when these terrible maps are in rotation? I swear, it's like a contest:  Make a map that saps joy out of the game for anyone but strat lovers.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2003, 10:09:53 PM »
muahhahahahahahah!

Is the pendulum beginning to swing back?

Will the Light of Laz shine upon their faces?

:)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2003, 10:37:33 PM »
In passing I've commented on the subject of this thread a few times before. One MORE is added ( glad to have you aboard Citabria ) to the this ignorent group that is growing day by day who don't have a clue and are ONLY interested in there own selfishness of finding a GOOD fight..

I was under the mistaken conception that is why we're all here..

How was that  ??? I know I didn't swear, but the lady gets upset when I do..

You know how my lady is..

If you don't, you don't wanna know..
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2003, 11:32:28 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
muahhahahahahahah!

Is the pendulum beginning to swing back?

Will the Light of Laz shine upon their faces?

:)

Awww, Toady wants a cracker?

I do not like the pizza map, but where and at what times are you guys playing?

I rarely play but when I do it's 400+ mahem. I guess I just sign on and get lucky? There are furballs, bombers to intercept, bases to resupply etc. every damn time.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2003, 11:43:27 PM »
Dunno... I'm not big on the k/h stats too much.  I like finding areas where others aren't and waiting for enemy planes to show up.  But so far this tour, I've been averaging about twice the k/t that I usually do and its only been the big isles map.

If you're not finding fights on this map, its because you're downright blind.

MiniD