Author Topic: Favorite parts of the State of the Union  (Read 5254 times)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Favorite parts of the State of the Union
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2004, 06:20:52 AM »
Originally posted by Hristo
Aren't we forgetting something  ?

AFAIK, the reason for war were WMDs. You know, the ones which could be launched in 45 minutes, from Powell's speech.

Nobody mentioned anything about murderous dictators.

Actually, yes, you are forgetting quite a bit. About 12 years, in fact. But that's an old argument, and we've both long since made up our minds about our viewpoints.

Carry on with only part of the story. ;)

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2004, 06:49:00 AM »
Ok, I love USA. And because of my love for it I also criticize it. ;)

That's why I hate seeing it performing an aggression under suspicious motives.

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2004, 06:54:25 AM »
If anyone is a terrorist, it's the USA.
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2004, 07:02:09 AM »
Gee Nath,

I read your profile and it doesn't say you're an idiot. ;)
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2004, 08:04:49 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
Bush is going to spend the rest of his term (and possibly his next one) trying to justify war against Iraq.

There's a legacy for ya... :aok

"Liberals are now pretending that their position all along was that Saddam had secretly disarmed in the last few years without telling anyone. This would finally explain the devilish question of why Saddam thwarted inspectors every inch of the way for 12 years, issued phony reports to the U.N., and wouldn't allow flyovers or unannounced inspections: It was because he had nothing to hide!"  Ann Coulter.

Hillarious! And true.

Nakhui

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2004, 08:13:02 AM »
If Bush gets re-elected... I'm investing in Oil stocks and the weapons industry.

Screw the economy... wait a minute he is giving it a good shagging!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2004, 08:16:11 AM »
Originally posted by Nakhui
If Bush gets re-elected... I'm investing in Oil stocks and the weapons industry.

Screw the economy... wait a minute he is giving it a good shagging!

Oil stock is usually globally owned, not by one single american company, but by global partnerships.

Weapons industry is a good bet *if* you find those that have good R&D contracts, for the long term. Naturally you'd want to go with a company that is diversified, and doesn't zero in on a single product (such as weapons-only manufacturer)  Boeing stock was trading at $28 a share a couple months after 9/11.  It was $44 on Friday.  How do you think I can afford my new boat that I pick up a week from Saturday? ;)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2004, 08:19:40 AM »
I too felt the steroid reference was rather stupid. It isn't a state issue, it is something to be handled within the sports bodies themselves. That sounded very unconservative to me. OTOH, his statement on the sanctity of marriage resonated with me, as well as the issue of removing the marriage penalty in taxes. For too long it was actually beneficial tax-wise to remain unmarried. Now single people may not like it, but the least I can say is the pendulum has swung the other way for a time.

I also found the Democratic rebuttal a little funny... "We need to bring jobs BACK to America, we need to buy AMERICAN products..." and then in the next paragraph "We need to give access to affordable health care to Americans, and allow Americans to buy cheap medicine from Canada..."

Huh? We don't have medicinal production in America? ;)

"We think the president has gotten out of control on spending..."

"We believe healthcare is a fundamental right of Americans..." (forgive me, Daschle stopped short of calling it a right, but he all but said it. Mea culpa on putting words in his mouth.

Adds up to more spending and higher taxes, does it not?

Neither side was completely straight, but one side was straighter.

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2004, 08:27:17 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Better justifying the sucessful removal of a hated murderous dictator than the attempted and failed removal of a stain....

Justification in the end will come from what it cost america to remove the 'hated'.. An unremoved stain hardly equals over 500 dead of our american fighting peps.. Not to mention the 1000s more wounded and maned...

Grunherz.. if you were half the rightous person you make yourself out to be, you'd join the forces and take up arms against the world's terrorist.. Fight and die along side your cause instead of sitting back being an armchair warrior and post ignorant remarks such as this because of your predisposed hate of the seeming 'leftist'...
- TWBYDHAS

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2004, 08:32:09 AM »
my favorite was..

......with my economic plan, in 5 years we are on the road to cutting the national deficit in half...

Not national debt mind you.. national deficit... what a freakin joke this guy is for government..
- TWBYDHAS

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2004, 08:49:59 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
Personal Attack! Personal Attack! Citizen's Arrest! Citizen's Arrest!

http://www.onion.com/4003/opinion1.html

Heheheh, one of my favorite all-time Andy Griffith episodes.:D

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2004, 09:20:43 AM »
Originally posted by kappa
my favorite was..

......with my economic plan, in 5 years we are on the road to cutting the national deficit in half...

Not national debt mind you.. national deficit... what a freakin joke this guy is for government..

No doubt. I wouldn't want this guy balancing my checkbook. But as I have noted, Daschle didn't do any better.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2004, 09:24:39 AM »
Their inability to understand is also a result of their different belief system, and the influence of Satan's subtle powers on them.

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2004, 09:49:24 AM »
Marriage in america is already water downed, diluted, and full of quicky divorces already yeager. Might as well let others have the tax breaks, health care benefits, and experiance the 'fun' of getting married.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2004, 09:59:12 AM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
wasn't aware that Iraq was attacking American boarders though.  :rolleyes:

So if they were you'd require us to get permision from the UN to defend ourselves?

and yes the correct quote was in fact:

There is a difference, however, between leading a coalition of many nations, and submitting to the objections of a few. America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people.

still my favorite and very applicable