Author Topic: Small Maps – a Creeping Process. Hmmm…  (Read 11875 times)

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
Small Maps – a Creeping Process. Hmmm…
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2004, 09:59:41 PM »
Originally posted by nopoop
..I might add as an afterthought that the pilots that "really" are head and shoulders above the rest in natural talent and ability in this game are much older than their years.

They know.

And so do we.

Funny how that shakes out..

;)

Makes sense to me:)

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2004, 10:14:10 PM »
I guess everything has a price. I don't want to improve so far as to affect my health. Ill settle for average :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 10:16:40 PM by TweetyBird »

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2004, 10:31:02 PM »
Sax, I deleted that one. I felt that it was so obvious it was unfair to bring up.

I mean..

Well you know what I mean :)
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2004, 04:21:56 AM »
DMF! Do you remember that sortie? I think I did call to you, didn't I? I just looked at the film but as I thought I didn't start the recorder till later. I've been working at improving my buff downing abilities, so I turned the recorder on when I saw a formation so I could review it later to see what I could have done differently. I didn't see you respawn. The airfield was a complete mess by then, with bish all over it like a cheap suit. I think even all the FH were down. The mannable ack was still there, so I got in that and got about four of them but... ooops :( mustn't go there... Hehe, the "superior pilot" maxim was not meant for myself; it's just something I remember seeing at one of my old flying clubs. I never claimed to have any skill. In fact I could dig out posts on this board where I have openly proclaimed that I have NO skill. I guess I just work with what I have. As for downing buffs, it's just a matter of aiming at the wingtips. And of course, dealing with a formation of buffs is entirely without risk. :aok

As for having an advantage in the P47, does anyone realise how slowly it climbs with 2x1000 hanging off it? And yet that was the configuration I was flying to get to the enemy base.

Hehe, time to give the pot another stir! I thought my last post would rattle a few cages. Funny how Mr. Toad can come out with statements like "I can also get 7 in an F4F-4 in a furball and land. I've been furballing in a 205 and getting 5-6 too. - and nobody bats an eyelid, but if I mention landing a similar number of kills, it's construed as "crowing" and I'll have three or four jumping all over me. Can you say "double standard"? ;):lol
No homework at all involved. We all know how you fly.
So why do you want the film so badly? You seem to be condemnatory of my flying methods. And yet all I do is to fly what I like. I also fly how I like, like how I fly, and don't worry about how the other guy flies. It is, after all, a game. It's not so very different from what you counsel the BBS members to do - every time you post.  
"Your reluctance to post the film is merely further confirmation. "
No, it was to prevent another TAS pissing contest/d**k measuring contest. But I see now you're determined to have that contest.

You can speculate all you like about that sortie. But I don't know why you're that bothered. The only thing that mattered was that it was an even contest between two sides. How does my flying have anything to do with it? It doesn't matter if I got 1 kill or 5 kills or 10 kills... it's all irrelevant to the topic under discussion. The skirmish I mentioned was evenly matched, at least to begin with. Indeed, on my second sortie I was chased by about 4 and did get killed - I've already mentioned that. So the "milkrun/unopposed/vulch" theory doesn't hold water. When the defence had ALL blown their alt to deal with a single plane, they had no reception committee to deal with my incoming squaddies. Now, does that make it an uneven contest? Was that the fault of the map? Was it my fault? :confused:

Nice hero worship, and nice name dropping, Mr. Toad.  And now with Nopoop leaping into the fray, I see it's turned into another TAS/BK joint op, of whose enjoyment you have spoken so enthusiastically in months gone by. Maybe I will meet some of you at a con. I've already met some, but the rest won't be hard to recognise. The Mutual Backslappers Society will be the ones with the funny handshakes. :lol ...and the ones who walk into the con room with one trouser leg rolled up!
:rofl

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2004, 07:17:13 AM »
"I never claimed to have any skill."

Your right ... you just always infer it in every post you make stating the number of kills for this sortie and that sortie along with your Martin Lutheresque speach ... "I HAVE A FILM ..."

"Hehe, time to give the pot another stir! I thought my last post would rattle a few cages. Funny how Mr. Toad can come out with statements like "I can also get 7 in an F4F-4 in a furball and land. I've been furballing in a 205 and getting 5-6 too. - and nobody bats an eyelid, but if I mention landing a similar number of kills, it's construed as "crowing" and I'll have three or four jumping all over me. Can you say "double standard"? "

The difference between you and Toad is that you do it ALL the time. And the differences don't stop there ...

"No, it was to prevent another TAS pissing contest/d**k measuring contest. But I see now you're determined to have that contest."

HAHAHA ... It is always you who lays it on the table first. Last time you layed it on the table, you got called on it ... and caught ... hence the cancelling of the "film release" ... :rofl
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2004, 07:31:03 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
DMF! Do you remember that sortie? I think I did call to you, didn't I?

I don't recall off the top of my head.  That was a pretty messy evening if you're referring to a couple of nights ago.  I did a lot of killing and a lot of dying.  Mostly I was cherry picked a bunch while I was indisposed preparing for my dissertation proposal defense on Friday.  It's possible that when you warned me, I wasn't even looking at the screen at the time.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2004, 10:51:27 AM »
BK's yu guys are awesome and I would appreciate yu returning the compliment please.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2004, 10:59:19 AM »
Originally Posted by: nopoop
It's interesting how you finally get to that point. The last couple of tours including this one I've spent getting in WAY to deep. I'm getting the snot beat out of me on a nightly basis.

So I tell myself, dammit were going to land this one, play it smart don't get in too deep.

It's a fine edge. Flying with Hooley last night I found the edge. First time in FUGGING MONTHS.

Playing it safe isn't an option, being on the edge is where it's at for me.

Flying "safe" to me isn't fun. Been there done that. Got ALL pissed off if I died. Found I wasn't having fun.

When I win one I shouldn't it just doesn't get any better.

That explains the snot..

Absolutely right!!  Your out numbered, at a disadvantage, blood is pumping, adrenalin flowing and heart is racing all from a game.  

This is something the Sky Accountant Cherry Pickers will never understand, until they lose their vanity and take some risks.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2004, 11:16:47 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
This is something the Sky Accountant Cherry Pickers will never understand, until they lose their vanity and take some risks.

what amuses me is this type thinks *i'm* the one with a fragile ego.

:rofl
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2004, 11:32:36 AM »
Slapshot - so this whole thing stems from the fact that I mentioned, in passing, that I RTB'ed with 5 kills? That's *it*? Wouldn't have thought it was any big deal. I haven't cancelled the film release. A cancellation occurs when something was scheduled to occur, but owing to a change of circumstances, will not occur. I never said I was going to post that film. Well, not in the immediate future. So there has been no cancellation. :p hehe, I'm starting to sound like ra!

Sax- LOL! :aok

DMF - no, it was on the 23rd of last month. Around 9:30am here (according to the film timestamp), so you were burning some midnight oil!

Mars01/Nopoop - you're both right - for you. You're enjoying the game the way you want to play it. And you've got your favourite maps for doing that. Now, can you just stretch your imagination a bit.... and try to get your heads round the fact that not everyone else wants to fly/play this game the way you do - OK? They're not wrong either. They're just different.
Isn't there an American expression that goes something like "different strokes for different folks"? It applies here. What you need to understand is that what makes YOUR adrenaline rush does not make everyone's adrenaline rush. That's why we have such a diversity of aircraft and vehicles. And they all get used....

...and the pizza map, along with certain other larger maps, offers choices that are either not feasible or else not available on the small, furball maps. The fact that those other choices do not interest YOU as furballers is neither here nor there. Other people pay their $14.95 to play this game - not just furballers. So it's only fair that the map rotation is balanced and fair.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2004, 11:55:54 AM »
Mars01/Nopoop - you're both right - for you. You're enjoying the game the way you want to play it. And you've got your favourite maps for doing that. Now, can you just stretch your imagination a bit.... and try to get your heads round the fact that not everyone else wants to fly/play this game the way you do - OK? They're not wrong either. They're just different.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't there an American expression that goes something like "different strokes for different folks"? It applies here. What you need to understand is that what makes YOUR adrenaline rush does not make everyone's adrenaline rush. That's why we have such a diversity of aircraft and vehicles. And they all get used....

...and the pizza map, along with certain other larger maps, offers choices that are either not feasible or else not available on the small, furball maps. The fact that those other choices do not interest YOU as furballers is neither here nor there. Other people pay their $14.95 to play this game - not just furballers. So it's only fair that the map rotation is balanced and fair.

Beet,  I just said you guys wouldn't understand.  You can fly any way you want.  I dont care, siad it a million times before.  
You create this misconception, that furballers want everyone to fly a certain way, to bolster your argument but I think the community sees through that.

Add the choice to furball to Pizza Crap and I would love that map too.  It's as simple as that.  Do you really need all three pizza slices to use as an unopposed cherry pick wonderland?  You can have two slices with fields 2 sectors apart if you want, if they made one slice with closer fields all would be fine.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2004, 12:17:47 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
DMF - no, it was on the 23rd of last month. Around 9:30am here (according to the film timestamp), so you were burning some midnight oil!

hehe I can't even remember what I did yesterday, so I certainly don't remember something that happened weeks ago.  It sounds like something I'd do though.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2004, 12:27:44 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
Beet,  I just said you guys wouldn't understand.  You can fly any way you want.  I dont care, siad it a million times before. You create this misconception, that furballers want everyone to fly a certain way, to bolster your argument but I think the community sees through that.
The entire community? - because the only people who argue with me are the furballers.
"Do you really need all three pizza slices to use as an unopposed cherry pick wonderland?"
To provide a balanced map set, I should ask you if you need every corner of the small maps to be a "adrenalin pumping" weed-wacking utopia? Can't we have some of the fields on those maps spaced out a little more, in the same way as Fester amended his first map?

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2004, 12:59:01 PM »
The entire community? - because the only people who argue with me are the furballers.

So you are saying that you finally accept that I don't want people to fly a certain way???????  
Also, lets stay in context, when I say community I am speaking of the community on the BBS since that is where we are.  Who else is going to argue with you.  Your not removing the cherry pickers choice your removing the furballers choice.  Why would you expect the other cherry pickers to argue with you, when you are their poster boy.:D

To provide a balanced map set, I should ask you if you need every corner of the small maps to be a "adrenalin pumping" weed-wacking utopia? Can't we have some of the fields on those maps spaced out a little more, in the same way as Fester amended his first map?
Uhhhh  They are already.  The majority of the fields on the small maps are a sector or more apart.  Funny you cant see that.  

Since the small maps are from older days most of the bases are a sector or more apart.  The only map that has bases close enough is Festers.

Also, I thought your biggest concern about the small maps was, they were too small.  Now the bases are too close.  lol.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2004, 01:21:24 PM »
Mars - none of the original HTC maps will change. The pizza map will not change. I doubt that Trinity will change any more. Fester's original map might change a little, and then we have the new one to look forward to.

But overall, I do not expect significant changes on any maps. Now if only the rotation could be changed back to what it was 6-9 months ago, whereby all maps were given a full week, except the small maps which shared a week. I would even accept two weeks of small maps (what we have now) if the other maps could be guaranteed to stay up for their full week, instead of getting reset out of circulation from Sunday to Friday. I was gutted when that happened to Pizza last week. :mad:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 04:26:46 PM by beet1e »