Author Topic: Understanding Racism  (Read 2074 times)

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2004, 07:15:55 PM »
As a white guy, I have a hard time understanding why the proponderance of narcotics users (at least in NYC) are white, but the preponderance of folks in jail for narcotics related crimes are black?

Ya think that might be an example of racism?

curly

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2004, 07:18:02 PM »
Perhaps many dealers are black and it's easier to arrest them than the users...

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2004, 07:30:56 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Perhaps many dealers are black and it's easier to arrest them than the users...

Too many in prison to assume they are all dealers.  OTOH, the following is true:  Suppose 2 oz is the plateau amount (user versus dealer.)  Now, look at 100 white guys picked up with 2 oz. of a controlled substance versus 100 black guys picked up with 2 oz.  A large number of the white guys will be charged with simple possession; the black guys will be more frequently charged with "intent to distribute."

Source: "Blue Blood"  by Edward Conlon.  Conlon is a police officer in NYC.

curly

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2004, 07:40:20 PM »
Originally posted by AKcurly
As a white guy, I have a hard time understanding why the proponderance of narcotics users (at least in NYC) are white, but the preponderance of folks in jail for narcotics related crimes are black?

curly

And as a guy from Oklahoma you know this how?

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2004, 07:57:15 PM »
People people get over it!

Treat a man like a man.
No matter his tone of skin nor his country of origine.

This reminds me of kids all whinning that they what a bigger piece of the pie than little jonny.

What a load of crap.

And as far as AA goes ?
Get rid of it because in my opinion it does more harm than good by driving a wedge between the "races"

It in its makeup is a disaster .
Set up to help one group of people by making another group feel guilty and in turn discriminating against them!

So AA is a clusterfuk and well never work.

Someday somehow If we survive as a people we will have matured I hope to the point that we will not judge others.

When I see someone judge another simply based on his skin color I cant help but think what a FOOL.

Because he is judging someone he never even took the time to get to know.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2004, 08:02:23 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
I've never asked them. There have been times in their lives when they were frustrated by discriminatory treatment. Maybe at those times they would have made that choice. I'll ask them someday.

This is the point I'm not not making very well.  Minorities seem to find it impossible that racism against white people exist.  I'm against all sorts of racism.  

Everyone has expeirenced it in one form or another not just blacks.....but it seems to me blacks have a hard time understanding this.

If you want to see what I'm talking about head up to the bay area some time.  I worked up there for a  while and got treated like watermelon from all the asians that live there.  There WHITE people seemed to be the minority so yes the shoes have been on the other foot.  That's not saying that all asians are bad people that's saying that it exists in all forms.  

Affirmative action IS RACE/GENDER discrimination.  
Black history month is RACE discrimination
National Negro College Fund is RACE discrimination

These programs and "LABLES" we put on ourselves is what causses racism in my book....these groups/programs are no different than the arian nation in my book.

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2004, 08:09:40 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger

These programs and "LABLES" we put on ourselves is what causses racism in my book....these groups/programs are no different than the arian nation in my book.

I can agree with that.

But you must admitt that MT's sons are far more likely to be called a "racist" name than maybe your son? dunno just throwin it out there.

Think about it there are still alot of people out there that still use the "N" word with out even blinking.

And they will use that word directed at kids!

Now say you are that little boy that just got called the "N" word I dont think think you will ever forget that day!

I for one cant ever remember being called whitety by someone walking down the street.

And I have never had to hear stories from my grand father on how he had to enter the cafe in the back or how he had to use a different water foutain.

It has not been that many generations since blacks where owned!

Now please do now get me wrong I am way against AA and lables.

But just try to put yourself in a black persons shoes for a little while and see how it might feel to walk down there path.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2004, 08:44:57 PM »
Originally posted by txmx
And as a guy from Oklahoma you know this how?

You have trouble reading the material with cited source?  Read it again.

curly

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2004, 08:52:48 PM »

curly

Damn racist yankees.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2004, 09:07:15 PM »
I know this might be hard for an Okie But lets try again and I will keep it simple for you this time.

Do you have proof to back up your quote?
Or is it just more hot gas escaping from north of the boarder?
:aok

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2004, 09:14:22 PM »
I blame it on New York's government, especially New York's senators. How can they allow this to exist?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Understanding Racism
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2004, 10:41:41 PM »

curly

if your statements are true (I don't know one way or the other, NYC is a long way from here), but if they are then that is discrimination and every effort needs to be made to put a stop to it.

racism and discrimination are wrong and shouldn't be tolerated.  I think very few people here are naive enough to believe that racial discrimination is a thing of the past,

but AA is also racial discrimination and needs to be stopped too.

we've had this discussion quite a few times and I hear over and over why those in support think we need AA.

but I don't ever hear then address the issue of whether or not they are willing to admit that is discrimination.  if you admit that it is, what makes your justification for racist policy's more valid then then the justifications the average KKK member spews out.

if you think it isn't than why,  what makes it different?  isn't it giving preferential treatment to people based on their race?  thats racism, right?

so whats the answer, is it racism to you or not?

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Understanding Racism
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2004, 12:28:19 AM »
Originally posted by txmx
I know this might be hard for an Okie But lets try again and I will keep it simple for you this time.

Do you have proof to back up your quote?
Or is it just more hot gas escaping from north of the boarder?
:aok

Are you blind as well as stupid?  I gave the source.  Read the thread.

curly

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Understanding Racism
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2004, 12:43:07 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I find this wrong but it is none of my bussiness... over here it is.   I do not wish anyone to be given special treatment UNDER THE LAW here.   bigotry on a personal level, while abhorent, is none of my bussiness so long as the bigot is not breaking the law.

lazs

Maybe what you define as special treatment is actually equal treatment? Would you attempt to block the sale of a house in your neighbirhood to a mionority family? Just a question, since everyone should have erqual treatment UNDER THE LAW, but in many cases, great efforts are used to block even legal transactions from taking place.

maybe it's only my bias, so I may be dead wrong, but based on several posts I've read from you on other posts that you might consider denying fellow Americans of equal rights...but thats only my opinion...

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Understanding Racism
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2004, 01:01:14 AM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
if your statements are true (I don't know one way or the other, NYC is a long way from here), but if they are then that is discrimination.

NYC was a 365 snow festival. Generally, the guys that could afford to pay for it didn't really need to make an extra buck by actually dealing it.

And the guys who needed that buck were generally black, and a whole lot more sober than us.

And it sure as hell wasn't us who were gettin' arrested.

They were giving us what we wanted, and going to jail over it.