Author Topic: I hope the first perk plane gets here soon (populations skewed wrong)  (Read 3973 times)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
I hope the first perk plane gets here soon (populations skewed wrong)
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2001, 12:26:00 AM »
 Perk the P-38

Offline SageFIN

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2001, 01:14:00 AM »
If the perk system is indeed dynamic, there is no problem with perking some or one of the planes right now.

Let me describe what I mean. Once a large part of the sorties flown (or kills made etc.) in the MA are made with a single plane or so *zap* it goes perk. Then people will gradually flock away to the next uber candidate and *zap*, that plane becomes perked and the earlier perk becomes perhaps available again. You can see the pattern  .

This wouldn't mean complete diversity but at least it would make for "seasons" of some kind. Ie. "niki season", "spit season" etc.  

------------------
---
SageFIN

"I think IŽll believe in Gosh instead of God.  If you donŽt
 believe in Gosh too, youŽll be darned to heck."
---

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2001, 02:27:00 AM »
I don't believe you can simply say, "The CHog's got 20% of arena kills, so we'll perk it".

What kind of flying reaps those 8-10 kill sorties?  The vulch.

Where do you find a good vulching proposition?  Fields which have been reduced either by buffs or jabo.

What planes are excellent for jabo?  CHogs.

I wouldn't doubt that of those 20% of arena kills, at least half are the result of a field vulch.  I overflew a field this morning that was being vulched repeatedly by what looked like 20 CHogs.  Easy pickings there!

Wanna perk a current AH plane?  Perk the Nik.  Then make the CHog a Marine aircraft (like the insignia it bears) and make it ground-field only.

I'll fight the CHog in anything.  But when I see a Nik coming, I'll disengage every time I can.

Just one of the problems I s'pose of not modelling an aircraft's weaknesses as well as its strengths  

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2001, 03:15:00 AM »

Originally posted by Jekyll:
Just one of the problems I s'pose of not modelling an aircraft's weaknesses as well as its strengths    

I agree

------------------
Glasses---I may have 4 eyes ,but you only have one wing.

[This message has been edited by Glasses (edited 01-07-2001).]

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2001, 05:20:00 AM »
Jekyll & Glasses...I, and I'm sure the rest of the community would surely appreciate it if you could indicate which weaknesses aren't modeled on the Niki that are modeled on other arena planes.  Thanks!

Also, if you could supply a list of any other planes that you don't like, perhaps those could be perked for you as well.  You may want to check out the F6F...I've found that as fun for a TnBer to fly as the Niki, and my gunnery has even gone up...must be screwed up as well!  Or, maybe it needs to kill you a bunch of times first, before it's actually overmodelled?  

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2001, 06:04:00 AM »
This got alla makings of a damn slippery slope....

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2001, 07:07:00 AM »
i would not agree with perking the 1c if we did not have the 1d

i do not agree with perking the n1k since the japanese dont have another good airplane, so clearly as of right now the n1k should not be perk

the 1c however has a CLEAR option: the 1d or the hellcat for USN fans. which in my opinion, makes it perk material.

wtg pyro.

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2001, 07:25:00 AM »
If you me there isn't another good Japanese plane on the game I would agree. If you meen the Japanese didn't make another good plane I strongly disagree. As I said above the Ki-84 was produced in quantity and the Ki-61 (admitedly very close to being a 109). I realy think both of these planes should be added for more Japanese plane variety. <S>

Originally posted by Zigrat:
i would not agree with perking the 1c if we did not have the 1d

i do not agree with perking the n1k since the japanese dont have another good airplane, so clearly as of right now the n1k should not be perk

the 1c however has a CLEAR option: the 1d or the hellcat for USN fans. which in my opinion, makes it perk material.

wtg pyro.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2001, 07:48:00 AM »
Weeeeeeeeeee - what fun to see all the CHog- drivers getting the chills...   - hehe, one thing we "LuftWhiners" heard so many times: wait and see, don't whine before something actually happened...   oooh and how they are defending their precious little baby...  

Hey come on - so far nothing has happened and if it does not work they will reverse - it's still the same HTC that brought you the CHog. And, even if you are in a emotionally difficult situtation right now   ,listen to what Pyro said!! It's not about classifying the plane it's just about balance!! Hello!! 20% of all kills???!!! Vulch or not - the Chog does take a unproprtionally part so either give it a ENY rating of 1   or perk it... now don't be afraid, I am sure it's not gonna cost you a months wage. And it's a great possibility to really test the perk system!!

This is the most exciting moment for me since the 'Wuerger' arrived in AH...  
Real men fly Radial!

MrSiD

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2001, 08:18:00 AM »
There is no need to perk the chog..

Just make the Hispano's as unreliable as they were in real life: gun jams, barrel overheating etc..

There was a solid reason why FAF chose russian 12,7mm MG in place of the original Hispano 20mm.. the pilots hated hispano in combat - just too unreliable.

The arena would be greatly balanced if 80% of chog drivers would end up with 3 jammed cannons after first 2-second full burst or high-g manouver shot =)

I'm sure it would then become less popular in air combat and more used for steady angle ground attacks.

Just my .02

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2001, 08:32:00 AM »

Originally posted by SOB:
Jekyll & Glasses...I, and I'm sure the rest of the community would surely appreciate it if you could indicate which weaknesses aren't modeled on the Niki that are modeled on other arena planes.  Thanks!
SOB

I can tell you of planes' strenghts not modelled (or at least faded away because all planes have it)

Fw190A's Kommandogërat. ALL planes in AH have it. And it is a HUGE advantage faded away. In general, the Fw190A was the best pilot-friendly plane of all WWII. Here ALL planes are pilot friendly.

MG151/20 was possibly the most reliable 20mm cannon in WWII. Here ALL cannons are 100% reliable (including the historically unreliable ones). Another advantage faded away.

German planes' weapon Selector switch. Right now the Fw190 MUST fire ALL cannons at the same time in linked fire. Real life Fw190As had a electrical switch to fire inboard only, outboard only, or all, cannons at a time. One of the advantages of having an electrical-actuated cannon as the germans had was the easy inflight weapon selection, just turn the switch.
 Right now 30mm in A8 and MGFF in A5 are worthless because are impossible to aim correctly due the different ballistics.
 And the word "ammo economy" is a joke in a 190...with 710 rounds a Fw190A8 has way less firing time than a F4U1-C, with 800...because the F4U1-C can fire two cannons only at a time while the 190 MUST fire all at the same time. Same with wing cannon mounted Me109s, that had EXACTLY the same switch. its all or nothing, while in real life it wasnt this way.

Fw190As could have cowl MGs removed. Not so here.

Mausers Mg151/20 could fire the mine shell able to kill a bomber with a dozen hits. Not so here.

And Fw190A rolls 20 deg/second slower than in real life    

Etc,etc,etc

N1K2s had defects of fablications. Unreliable structure. Underperforming engines. And bad fuel to burn. Not so here.

So, it has ALL the advantages, it has NONE of the drawbacks.

I could do this with more planes, but you asked for an example, I give you an example.

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 01-07-2001).]

-towd_

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2001, 09:52:00 AM »
believe or not i think the nikis bad fuel is modeled. with highoctain fuel it was a true super bird . i.e. fast as most us planes and much more manuverable.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2001, 09:56:00 AM »
I find the logic of this baffling. You have a store (AH) And you decide to make your most popular product unavailable. That makes no sense to me.

I don't fly the hog. But they will get to my favorite one(s) sooner or later, im sure.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »

Originally posted by Pyro:
We may not have to wait until the next version to have a perk plane.  It's looking like the F4U-1C will end up getting perked as I don't really want to stretch the point value differences further.  I don't think point values on planes will have their full effect until there's something to cash them in on.  

Welp Looks like I will e headed back to Air warrior Or Warbirds then. Cuase I for one think the perk points was a very very bad idea sort of like a solar powered flash light. perk points only favor the no life dweebs that have nothing better to do then Play for 16 hours a day 7 days a week. I pay just as Golly-gee much money as them (more if the 19 buck newbi rate was ever implimented). And Ive been playing since the beginning. I think I as a paying customer have the right to fly one of my favorite plains.

------------------
Mayhem 33rd S.G.
"Destination anywhere, so far gone, I'm already there!"
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2001, 12:05:00 PM »
ROFLMAO..

Here comes the "I have a RIGHT to fly (insert plane here)" Crap.

What makes it extra-pathetic this time is that you can fly a DHog with essentially the same performance.

Same stuff that ruined the RPS in WB.

I'm sure the Supreme Court will be looking into your Constitutional RIGHT to fly the CHog, Mayhem. Somehow I don't think HTC is quaking in their boots.

And good luck finding another sim that even has it at all. (Is there one? I don't play boxed sims much at all.)