Author Topic: what's this mean?  (Read 2643 times)

Offline lada

• Silver Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2005, 04:24:40 PM »
Originally posted by ASTAC
Thanx! Looks complicated to install(I'm better with hardware than software)...but when I get the time I'll give it a shot.

feel free to try mandrake for example ... IMO its easier to install that windows xp

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2005, 04:28:31 PM »
Thanx again guys..will see whats up with those
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2005, 04:50:25 PM »
Originally posted by lada
straffo my dear friend ....

come on debian sux ... gentoo rulEZ :D :D :D

even Xbox run on gentoo :cool:

geeeeeeenttttttoooooooooooooo ooo

You know I still remember when the slackware was THE distrib :D
(there was none else :))

And no I prefer my old debian :p

Offline lada

• Silver Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2005, 05:15:46 PM »
ok ok ... because you are my friend i will not be nasty now...

what colour did you pick for your coffin ? :D

man if everybody were like you, .......... ummm...... we would live on the trees :D

edit: just compiling 2.6.11 on my desktop on the background :P

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2005, 05:44:29 PM »
ah crap... I did already rollback on the SP2, just because the first problem I ran into, was problems running Flight Simulator 2004 smoothly.
After 15 minutes there was obviously something wrong.. after 30 minutes it was unplayable. Horrible loading all the time and even the terrain didn't load up anymore.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
what's this mean?
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2005, 05:45:41 PM »
I still prefer Slackware.  It is the only distro of Linux, I am aware of, which has kept the traditional UNIX directory hierarchy.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2005, 05:51:38 PM »
I've had similar problems with some games/programs.
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
what's this mean?
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2005, 06:41:57 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
Then why do people buy MS when other OS's are free?

Because to be compatible with everyone else, at this time, we have to use MS products.  On the day I can run AH on my linux box, and import and export excel and word documents seamlessly I will never touch Windoze again.  The only reason "free" OS's have not developed to the same extent is (as Skuzzy said) lack of marketing.  There ARE computers being sold nowadays that ship exclusively with versions of Linux.  Have been for the last 4 or 5 years.  And the GUI is just as good as anything Windoze has or has had.  Also, look at the legal action Gates and Co. have taken over the last decade to try to derail Linux.  They know it's eventually going to be a fierce competitor, and have tried very hard to prevent it from happening.  

The main  problems are lack of support for hardware, games, and MS Office.  The reason hardware companies dont write drivers comparable with the MS ones for Linux is lack of numbers, and they wont get the numbers until we have more compatibility.  Vicious circle.  But its slowly coming around to the Linux side.  The fact that big business servers have started using it more helps.  Star Office just cant compete with MS Office in quality yet though.  And the documents dont switch back and forth easily.  Emulators have problems all their own, and decrease the performance of the machine.  3D gaming on Linux is close to making the quality/performance breakthrough, and before 2010 is upon us I'm betting you will see stiff competition beginning for Mr. Gates.  

Neverwinter Nights shipped a Linux version, although it did take longer.  But if big names like Atari were willing to work with Linux, its a step in the right direction.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2005, 06:47:20 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
I still prefer Slackware.  It is the only distro of Linux, I am aware of, which has kept the traditional UNIX directory hierarchy.

AMEN

Though I do have versions of Mandrake, Debian and RedHat.  SHHHH!!

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
what's this mean?
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2005, 06:51:53 PM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
On the day I can run AH on my linux box, and import and export excel and word documents seamlessly I will never touch Windoze again.  

ever here of open office? Go to http://www.openoffice.org for your free, MS compatible version of MS Office.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2005, 07:55:13 PM »

There have to be a few thousand people among the billions in the world who would like nothing better than to surf the internet, check their email and run Aces High - on a Linux box assembled and deliverd to their house with Aces High, a browser and email client installed.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2005, 08:32:33 PM »
Originally posted by Rolex

There have to be a few thousand people among the billions in the world who would like nothing better than to surf the internet, check their email and run Aces High - on a Linux box assembled and deliverd to their house with Aces High, a browser and email client installed.

add me to that group.

sorry for the late response, but Skuzzy, am i to gather from my derogatory comments towards microsoft that im ignorant?

because i dont run some flavor of linux, that can't run AH?

all i care about on the internet is AH, email, web, and the occasional download.... add a few humorus animations posted by AH BBS people.

am i mistaken that your response:
Ignorance NUKE.
is a response to NUKE's comment:
Then why do people buy MS when other OS's are free?
if that is the case, i bought Win XP to run AH as stable as possible

why am "i" the consumer ignorant? heck if i didn't have windoze i still today wouldn't be ab;e to see my expanded stats in AH

i am truly sorry, but i am confused by your comments, and not sure what your recomendation is.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2005, 09:02:28 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
ever here of open office? Go to http://www.openoffice.org for your free, MS compatible version of MS Office.

I have a version actually.  It's not nearly as functional as I need (yet) although yes, it is ALMOST completely compatible.  I use Excel alot at work, and transfer files between work and home quite often.  My Excel files sometimes get garbled when I try to convert them (say app. about 5% of the time).  I like the interface better on the Star setup, but the compatibility is even less.  I HAVE recently managed to get my Palm III working on Linux now, so I can hotsync it without windows.  One step closer.  :)

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2005, 10:42:28 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
I run SP2 on everything, work systems home systems Etc. Have no problems with anything.

Me three.

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
what's this mean?
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2005, 01:13:20 AM »
Wine, wine, wine......................... .

I really don't know much at all about computers compared to many of the people here, but I've been learning slowly, surely, and as hard as possible on myself over the last 5 years. Most of my knowledge has come from either posts made on this site, or links that I got off of it.

That incident with the hammer and the sound card still makes me laugh:D It worked, for a couple of weeks at least.

I found this site tonight from a link in another thread here. It helped quite a bit with security information and settings. This is the site that I got the link to it from. Lots of good information there too. I spent about 2 1/2 hours reading and changing settings tonight, resulting in a completely secure port rating from the probes that Shields Up performs, not to mention a boost in my connection times.

I use Firefox and Thunderbird exclusively, except for the AH scorepages, which I really don't check anymore. The security issues with MS turned me off about a year ago after fighting spy/adware everyday, over and over again. A user friendly alternative operating system that eliminated many of the issues that MS has would get my money.

And thanks to everyone for all the tips, pointers, links and info over the years. I've almost figured out how to turn this damn thing on and off:p