Author Topic: A Freakin .22 ..................  (Read 8518 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
A Freakin .22 ..................
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
Well, Rip, it's OK to beat people to death to avenge the loss of your "football team". That's at least a legitimate reason.  

As long as you don't use firearms, no problemo.  Also, it should be a "crowd" phenomenom so you can use the "everybody was beating him up" defense.  

It's these twisted single individuals that kill with firearms that cannot be tolerated.

Pretty simple. You respect life or you don't. In any event, the highlight is on the "you".

Easy to blame society, easy to blame inanimate objects, easy to look for scapegoats anywhere in fact.

But we all know it is the individual who decides to "do" or "not do".

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2001, 09:33:00 AM »
And it doesn't surprise me Ripsnort that your sense of irony is severely out of whack. And there's me thinking the cliche about Americans not having a sense of irony was overstated.

I live ten miles from Hillsborough, Sheffield.

Do a search on the web and find out what happened there in 1989.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2001, 10:51:00 AM »
Yeah, who needs guns when you have soccer. (aka 'football')

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
Tac,

I won't quote your rather rabid diatribe and name calling post that you left in this thread.

I have a couple of observations for you however.

Early in the 1900's this country decided to legislate morality and entered a ban on alcohol. It was a rousing success that created a huge instant criminal population. It also gave us our first real surge of organized crime.

For decades now we have had an outright ban on multiple substances. For a few examples: Cocaine (in any form), methamphtamines, opium (in all forms to include heroin) and except for "medicinal" purposes marijuana. Now to see how effective these bans were you can purchase all of these substances anywhere in the US to include schools. Elementary school kids are not unknown to have even heroin in their possession.

I realize that quoting real life situations is not fair. They don't support your arguments and speak volumes for the contrariness of the human being. They just don't follow your instructions on how you say they should live their lives. Perhaps you feel the third time would be the charm and all would be right with the world. For myself, I doubt it. I have dealt with addicts and "casual" drug users. They pretty much all had the same thing to say about it. They liked it and would continue to use these banned substances.

What will be the real solution? I haven't a clue. I do know that telling someone they can't have something, "for their own good", isn't very effective either historically or now.

Mav

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2001, 12:35:00 PM »
Sorry Ripsnort.

My sense of humour sometimes is a bit on the edge.

Didn't mean to insult of inflame, but don't think I can change it.

It's a good way of dealing with nastiness, and self irony/sarcasm is sort of a way of life here in Denmark.

Dowding, I like those. We have "Have a nice trip home", sung at the end of the game at home games when we're winning. When others do it to us, I get SOOOO &(/%(/()  .

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
[img]http://www.geocities.com/nirfurian/stSanta.jpg[/img

"Live to pull, pull to live"

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 03-07-2001).]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2001, 02:14:00 PM »

Originally posted by Eagler:

Anyone wonder why all of these shootings are happening at our Public schools and none at the private schools?
Eagler  

So much for that statement ...

One wounded in Pennsylvania high school shooting
 http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/03/07/pa.school.shooting.01/

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2001, 03:47:00 PM »
Im just glad i live in NZ, we dont have to worry about guns. We have some pretty tough gun laws.

Having said that, we have seen people in this country run round and shoot people randomly at least a couple of times over the last 15 years or so. I guess on a 'per population' basis we're probably not much better off.

Call me un-american or whatever, but what does the civilian population need hand guns for? sport? defending against other people with hand guns (catch 22)?
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2001, 04:00:00 PM »
Why does anyone "need" anything except air, food and shelter?  

You could live without all else couldn't you? Wouldn't the world be better off without the pollution of internal combustion engines?

.....ah, never mind.  

Basically why would anyone care if the guns were not used incorrectly?

If a gun is used incorrectly, should you blame the gun or the person?

hmmmmmmmm.... have we ever covered this ground before in another thread?

Cyas.. I'm outta this one.  
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2001, 04:25:00 PM »
Personally Santa, I hate football related violence. We've gotten rid of a lot of it over here - I haven't seen any first hand for along time.

I'd ask you to teach my that chant, but I guess it would be pretty useless against Sheffield United fans when they visit us.  

On the humour thing, don't worry. It's called dry, cold, irony and I find it can be easily misunderstood when written down.

Keep up the good work.  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2001, 05:04:00 PM »

Originally posted by Toad:

If a gun is used incorrectly, should you blame the gun or the person?

im not implying thats its the guns fault so you should bannish all guns. Of course its the person who uses it is at fault - cant argue that. But if the guns arent so easily available they wont be used as often as if they would if you find them in the bottom of a cereal packet.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

SwampRat

« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2001, 05:45:00 PM »

Originally posted by Tac:
no parenting can go against hormone and anger in a kid

Wrong. THAT is the attitude that leads to this stuff to begin with.

SwampRat

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2001, 05:50:00 PM »
I beg to differ. A kid can be the nicest, most well educated/raised by the most loving parents. Have him be bullied for years then one day be squeak slapped and kicked into the ground by a gang and as any normal person, that kid would go berserk.

I do agree that parenting is the best solution, but it doesnt work all the time (heck nothing does).

Edited:

BTW, the best answer to this thing that i've ever heard was said by a primary kid, the little brother of my best bud when he was doing a report on guns (columbine spawned a lot of those). One of my friends told him "guns kill people" and the kid replied "I thought people with guns killed people".

I dare anyone to argue that one!  

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 03-07-2001).]

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2001, 06:03:00 PM »
Quote:

""I thought people with guns killed people".

That kid gets an "F" on his "report".  He must be a Public School student.

Tell that handsomehunk to write on the blackboard 100 times:

"People with no respect for life kill people with any available weapon, including their own bare hands".

Cabby

Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Mk10 225th

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2001, 06:22:00 PM »
Actually, I used to enjoy handguns to quite an extent.

I had a stainless-steel .357 magnum Smith & Wesson, with a 4 inch barrel, Pachmyr grips, red ramp sight, and it had had the action worked over by an S&W certified gunsmith.

I liked it because you could shoot .38 special target round bullets through it, which were about $4.75/per 50 when I bought them from a friend who re-loaded.

Shooting a 4-inch barrelled handgun at a standard pistol target, firing double-action, was actually pretty Zen-like.

The breath control, the focus, the rhythm of your shot pattern, were all a heck of a lot of fun.

My main goal was to put as many of my six shots in the scoring circles as possible.

Before my current business occupation, I was a 911 operator for seven years.  When I showed some of my target groups to the local cops, they were quite impressed.

But, one thing led to another, and soon I became involved in Lionel toy trains.  Considering the cost of ammunition, the fact that I had to drive 20 miles to shoot at a nature area with a gun range, an hour of cleaning after each session, and my desire to have in my possession a really boss engine from the 1950's, I wound up selling it.

One of the neat things about guns, is that if they are properly cared for, seldom do they actually lose a lot of value.

I shot it for several years, had a lot of fun with it, and made 25 bucks on the deal.

I don't really miss it, as I love my toy trains and online sim flying now, but I did have a really great time with it, and it was more of a concentration/relaxation thing than it was a carry-around-and-hope-to-shoot-someone-legally-someday thing.

I just hope that it can be understood that pistol shooting is kind of like archery...a study in concentration, skill, and total focus on trying to put'em all in the scoring rings.  It didn't really have anything to do with the possibility of shooting human beings.

Anyhoo, just me two cents once more, and this being spoken from a bleeding-heart liberal.

Mk

TheWobble

« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2001, 07:21:00 PM »
I got my first "gun" when I was 6 It was a red rider BB gun, i spent countless hours every day after school and every weekend roaming around the field behind our old house shooting at cans and whatever else, I wasnt much for shooting birds or anything like that because i had a per bird.  Later on i finally got my first REAL gun, i was 13 when I finally saved up $400 for my Browning A-Bolt 22.  I kept it for 4 years and shot it ALL the time, I bought CCI stingers which are about the most powerful 22 rounds you can get, at the range with a rest I could hit .38 shell casings at aroun 75 yards very consistantly.  Then I bough a Russian SKS and had it redone with all American made parts,and had a new stock and stuff like that.  Then a year ago I bought a H&K SL8 which is the most AMAZING rifle i have ever held.  a few montha ago i bought a H&K USP 40 pistol, i keep it in my truck and have actually had to pul it out once, but I am pretty sure that it either saved my life or someone else's life.  Guns are fun for recreation and stuff like that which is reason enough to have them, but they also can quickly diffuse an EXTREAMLY volitile situation.  Pulling a gun so that the other guy ends up taking off, is far better than having a savage fight or something else awful like that.

..oh god what am i saying! I forgot..the only use for a gun is to kill innocent people and children.  oops