Author Topic: TOD predictions...  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005, 08:40:15 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e

My question is - why would HTC go to such lengths to build TOD, if only around 50 guys are going to use it?

I think I can answer that. Emphasis on think. :)
  If I understand it correctly I do not beleive the majority diehard MA player will find TOD to their liking. I also don`t beleive that TOD is being designed for this.
  By what I have read, TOD is being designed to cater to and interest the box gamer. I believe it will build a whole new player base. Ones that have never had a chance or a place to play online in a way that interests them will now have that place and opportunity.
  Sort of a pioneering effort if you will.

I think you are basing your numbers on the current player base and not considering other options and goals.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 08:57:45 AM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2005, 08:45:54 AM »
Jacka1 - what you say tallies with westy's observations about IL2. I hope you're both right.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
TOD predictions...
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2005, 11:50:24 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
I think I can answer that. Emphasis on think. :)
  If I understand it correctly I do not beleive the majority diehard MA player will find TOD to their liking. I also don`t beleive that TOD is being designed for this.
  By what I have read, TOD is being designed to cater to and interest the box gamer. I believe it will build a whole new player base. Ones that have never had a chance or a place to play online in a way that interests them will now have that place and opportunity.
  Sort of a pioneering effort if you will.

I think you are basing your numbers on the current player base and not considering other options and goals.

This is exactly as I see it as well.  I’ve spoken with many people that I’ve met in RL about flight sims, I always try to sell Aces High for what it is.  When I bump into these folks later, almost all of them who have gotten into flight sims ended up buying a boxed sim.  If you look at how many boxed prop sims are sold everywhere and compare that to the AH player base something is amiss.  There is something about the format of online air combat that turns most air war enthusiast off.  I don’t know if it sounds too intimidating, competitive, complex, hard-core, nerdy, or whatever.  The vast majority of potential prop flight sim enthusiasts would just rather buy a box game and go about playing it as they have played every other boxed game that they have played.

AH TOD is not for us; it is for them.

The real question is how well will it work.  I can’t imagine that it will appeal to a big chunk of the boxed sim buyers, but if it intrigues a small percentage it will be much bigger than the AH MA.  Hopefully TOD won’t come with the same perception as AH-MA; hopefully it will fill a niche.  Hopefully it will draw big numbers and revenue and HTC will be able to hire more folks and I will finally get my POS P-39 and Buffalo.

eskimo

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 12:32:34 PM »
I don't know how well TOD will do nor what it will look like. But Here's my hope.

First and most, like Westy said, it should offer something new in online air combat sims.

Instead of the anarchy of the MA where everyone is on their own to do what they will, TOD will offer the structured experience and immersion of a scenario without the commitment. Probably the most difficult part of a scenario is getting players to try it. But once they do, and they learn the ropes, many lose their desire for MA play. I know of many former AW and WB players who would fly for scenarios only.

Role playing games are very popular. They offer something no other game provides. Players have a focused and personal objective to build their character that is nearly nonexistant in the MA now, except for the phony rank system. I say phony because it's based only upon kills with no regard to player contributions to an objective. After all. of what value are kills if the player can return in a few minutes. In TOD kills, or simply chasing away an opponent, can determine the success of a mission. The average player has a greater opportunity to be rewarded for his contributions, while many "aces" are from the "old school" and prefer scenario play.

How many players has HTC attracted with their advertising campaigns, and how many of these stayed? We've seen the MA fill up at times with surges of new players, but soon dwindle to the same numbers as before. Obviously AH didn't provide what many of these new players were looking for. TOD can provide another dimension of game play to satisfy more players for a longer time.

But then, if players some times prefer a quick flight to the nearest furball, the MA will still be there.

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2005, 01:02:10 PM »
beetle..go stab yourself..
Im a MA furballer..I hate flying more then 5 miels for a fight..

But when we have over 200 on Squad ops..Im sure TOD will  work..

I am truly looking forward to seeing large formations

the rest of you should die

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2005, 03:26:36 PM »
ToD is aimed towards two groups....

*WW2OL Players
*Il-2 Players

Not MA players

Its a way to expand buisiness not relocate customers.

Tex

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2005, 07:24:00 PM »
I will definately be rellocating to TOD if its a good as we hope....If you have zero interest in TOD fine...stay in the MA...But please dont completely destroy it over the bbs and to HTC because there is a large # of people who have been anticipating for years....If you dont like it, you dont have to play it, so please dont ruin it for us...

on another note...I think #'s will be very high...well...#'s will be high at hot spot times....9am-3pm Eastern averages 100-200 MA players, so im sure we will only see half of that in the TOD...but i still think we will get great turn outs 7+ on eastern PM...

Another thing to think about...We are averaging 100+ in the SEA per event...What percentage of players do you actually think have known about the event and actually signed up?  i have personally walked on everytime, and I think if more people knew, or if it was at a more "prime time" SEA's would fill to capacity...
i dunno

Viva la TOD
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2005, 07:54:16 PM »
This is interesting.

The ToD isn't even out yet, and we alreay seem to be experiencing antagonism between the MA enthusiasts and ToD enthusiasts.

That certainly tells a lot.

Offline Paul

• Copper Member
      • http://fatesquad.com
TOD predictions...
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2005, 10:15:02 PM »
It's certainly hinting me to get used to a mass-locking of threads as soon as possible!

Board up the windows!! Put on the gas masks!! PROTECT THE WIFE AND KIDS!!

LONG LIVE THE ACES HIGH LEGACY!

I LOVE YOU MOM!!!!

:eek:

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2005, 12:14:11 AM »
MA will be dweeb arena when TOD getts up and runnin...

In fact...make a furball map..a big fighter town map with 3 bases and let the rest of us fly TOD.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2005, 02:42:15 AM »
So long since we heard any "official" news about TOD, I'd almost completely forgotten about it.

...-Gixer

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
TOD predictions...
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2005, 09:45:41 AM »
If yah like box sims....you just might love TOD.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2005, 10:30:40 AM »
i have always considered the MA as a training arena for scenarios, a place where you can try out different planes and tactics.

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
TOD predictions...
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2005, 10:55:47 AM »
<---- still has no idea what TOD is. oh and i know what it stands for but what will TOD be?

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
TOD predictions...
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2005, 11:41:32 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Overall, peeking into what Pyro hinted us so far, it seems it would require certain discipline and devotion to team play, so I think indeed in some parts, the general quality of the pilots would be better than the MA.

Such a stupid statement it is laughable. The more boring / timid "pilots" maybe but "better quality of pilots". :lol