Author Topic: Planes of Fame F6F from Chino Down  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Planes of Fame F6F from Chino Down
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2005, 03:35:25 AM »
The difference is that with an airworthy one, there is an oil drip pan on the museum floor.

also, some tough guy with a high performance & complex endorement might steal it
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 03:43:53 AM by Debonair »

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2005, 09:49:43 AM »
So what your saying is that a one of a kind airplane, brought back to life but non flyable is a worthless piece of crap not worthy of a tossed rock.

I have seen some of THE MOST RETARDED logic EVAR in this thread.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2005, 10:46:04 AM »
Yes, we're retarded because we feel vintage aircraft should be flown and enjoyed.

Silly us for not bowing down and agreeing with you. :rolleyes:

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2005, 11:04:36 AM »
SIR!!!!  WE HAVE DUST IN THE MUSEUM!!!!!!  CALL IN THE GUARD!!!!!!

Dont make me come down to Texas fella........

:D
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2005, 11:06:46 AM »
So when did you go all Commie on us Yeager? Since when is it OK for the government to tell you what to do with something you own?

Whats next? No cars older then 10 years cause they may not be safe?

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2005, 11:14:29 AM »
well....there must be some car somewhere thats so rare that it is no longer driven around in the standard fashion........plus cars dont fly :O

I really loved the one guy that said put all the replicas in the museums and crash all the vintage planes :confused:

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2005, 11:48:31 AM »
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=929

THIS is what happens when people like Yeager "preserve" their stuff on static display.  No, it isn't an airplane....the point is the same.

Apparently that fate is "better" than using them and risking damage.

Personally, I think it's a pathetic shame.

For every 1 piece of equipment that is preserved nicely on static display, you end up with 10 in that condition.

J_A_B

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2005, 11:59:06 AM »
I still dont think locomotives fall out of the sky and end up in 30,000 little torn bits of crunched up burnt aluminum and wiring.......

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2005, 12:14:24 PM »
Would you like to end your life as a shriveled shell wasting away in a retirement home somewhere where people walk past and watch you wither?

Or would you give all of that up to go back to your prime stretch your legs in a big blue pasture?  Nobody said the airplanes have to crash...if they did I wouldn't fly.  If it was really that dangerous I wouldn't fly as an occuption.  I'd go back to the insurance business.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2005, 12:15:17 PM »
You DO realize that locomotives can explode, don't you?  Several years ago at the county fair here, a steam traction engine blew up, killing several people and destroying the engine.  

It's the exact same issue as airplanes.  Use them and risk the rare accident, or let them sit and rot away.  You'd rather let them rot, all the while bragging about how you're "saving" them.  I know you mean well enough, but your intentions don't usually result in what you think they do.

I linked a picture.  Tell me if you think that's a great example of "preservation"--because it IS an all too typical example.

Case in point...#2701, a sister locomotive of the 2700, was put on static display in Buffalo NY.  It was vandalized so badly that the remaining eyesore was dragged off and scrapped.

The SAME thing happens with parked airplanes; I link the locomotives because I'm more familiar with the field.  I'm sure Bodhi or Savage have their own sad examples of neglected and ruined static "preserved" airplanes.

J_A_B
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 12:25:33 PM by J_A_B »

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2005, 12:29:16 PM »
dude........where do I recommend letting anything "rot"....

And yes steam locomotives definately xSPLODE.  so dont power the damned things up.  People get hurt....

Where I come from (western civilization) our museums tend to be rather well cared for.  The one near me, the Museum of Flight, has very little dust.
In fact, they have a rather Nice looking collection of flying machines.  One of my favourites is a beautiful F4U that was pulled up from a lake bottom, all rot.  It was restored over many years and is now immaculate...hear that?  IMMACULATE and the best news is it WONT EVAR get rot now...NEVAR ROT!!!!!

:rofl

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2005, 12:51:53 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
dude........where do I recommend letting anything "rot"....

And yes steam locomotives definately xSPLODE.  so dont power the damned things up.  People get hurt....

Where I come from (western civilization) our museums tend to be rather well cared for.  The one near me, the Museum of Flight, has very little dust.
In fact, they have a rather Nice looking collection of flying machines.  One of my favourites is a beautiful F4U that was pulled up from a lake bottom, all rot.  It was restored over many years and is now immaculate...hear that?  IMMACULATE and the best news is it WONT EVAR get rot now...NEVAR ROT!!!!!

:rofl

I think it's actually a Goodyear FG-1D. I think they have another Goodyear as well. Maybe different model though.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2005, 12:55:47 PM »
"dude........where do I recommend letting anything "rot"...."

You do, you just naively don't realize it.

Museum of Flight is known as one of the rare few museums which actually does care for its exhibits.  Duxford is another.  Such places are the exception, not the rule.

If all flying WW2 airplanes were grounded, do you seriously think that they'd all be kept in that kind of condition?  Please, don't kid yourself.  Most of them would wind up as neglected hulks in some forgotten hangar, scavenged for parts or souveneirs.  Very few museums actually have the money to care for that kind of complex equipment.  The ones which DO have the money have little trouble finding all the stuff they can manage.

If I want to see a lifeless, odorless, quiet hulk I can just look at pictures in a book.  Be it an airplane or a locomotive...it has a certain life that you can only experience when its in operation.  Anyone who REALLY cares about them understands that!  That F6F shakes the ground with a roar that can be heard 10 miles away...you feel it in every bone in your body.  The kids scream in delight, men nod knowingly, and women cover their ears!  The locomotive's popping valves and coal smoke and the shotgun blast of the exhaust makes for memories that'll last a lifetime.  Look at people's faces when their cars stop at the grade crossing and instead of the usual diesel freight train it's a 100 foot fire-breathing monster that rumbles the ground as it thunders past.  None of that is possible with a static hulk.

It's about more than preserving the machine--it's about preserving the experience.  It's called "living history" and, fortunately, it's a catching trend.

J_A_B

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2005, 01:06:04 PM »
Well JAB, Kudos to you then.

Still, every time one of these rare planes is destroyed the entire community of flight is degraded.  I dont care really, as long as someone, somewhere has a preserved machine.  Sort of like Noahs' Hanger.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2005, 02:55:59 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
So what your saying is that a one of a kind airplane, brought back to life but non flyable is a worthless piece of crap not worthy of a tossed rock.

I have seen some of THE MOST RETARDED logic EVAR in this thread.

No, what I am saying is that I would rather see a cheetah running after an antelope in the Serengeti than a dead stuffed one in a museum in London.

We should strive as long as it is possible to see endangered cats in the wild: to catch and cage all of them is to lose something.  

A close parallel exist for machinery.  To see a 150 year old running steam engine, to see a flying warbird, to see a model T travelling down the boulevard, to see a three masted schooner under full sail... these sights are better than seeing them in a museum doing nothing but gathering dust.  It was not what they were intended to do.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 02:59:06 PM by Holden McGroin »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!