Author Topic: So much for separation of church and state  (Read 3678 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
So much for separation of church and state
« on: January 21, 2001, 02:34:00 PM »
Yeah, let's start the inauguration with a prayer by a Christian, effectively cutting out all other religions.

Way to go USA.

In the words of Marvin The Paranoid Android, from Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

"Pitiful, isn't it?".

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"We are the light at the end of your sorry little tunnel." - A. Eldritch

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 01-21-2001).]

Offline jedi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2001, 02:50:00 PM »
How does a Christian praying "cut out" anyone?  Good example, if you ask me, and poor understanding of what the concept of separation of church and state means (don't feel bad--you're not alone).

And why would a Dane even care?

Isn't it odd how FEW posts you can find where Americans actively "bash" other countries (terrorist nations notwithstanding) and how MANY posts you can find by other folks actively bashing America?

Is it envy, or just intolerance?  

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2001, 03:04:00 PM »
jedi, imagine being a follower a polytheistic religion - having more than one god. If you heard the prayer, you'd know that it would cut you out of the loop.

It would, in fact, cut anyone out of the loop who does not consider god (whatever it is) as an ominiscient, omnipotent and omnibenevolent god.

Anyone who believes in a god different than the Christian one would be left out.

You're right - I am jealous. Of the separation of church and state you (in theory) have in the US. Unfortunately, there's growing evidence that the Bush administration will do its part to violate this. An example:

"Bush was also to issue executive orders on
Saturday outlining ethics guidelines for his
administration and declaring a national day of prayer, the officials said."

Freethinking spans all borders. In the past, it has been a very dangerous path of the mind and freethinkers have found themselves persecuted and killed. Your founding fathers, some of which were freethinkers themselves, sought to eliminate this - sought to eliminate state sponsored support for particular religions. This, in my view, is an approach that's daring, innovative and worth much respect.

The separation of church and state issue is not wildly complicated, and believe me, I have a decent grasp of it. Do not assume disagreement with your own understandment of it is a result of me being erroneous. Discuss, and then find out. Do not judge without evidence.

The US goverment should spend no effort promoting a specific religion, that, in essence, is what it's boiling down to.

national prayer day is supporting some mainstream religions and leaving others out - there are religions that do not put any empathis on prayers, thinking of it to be useless and demeaning, and an act of infidels.

I could go on, but hopefully you'll see my point.

This post is not bashing the US - on the contrary, it's about preserving the values of the founding fathers.

Me, I have no religion, so I ain't siding with any.

------------------
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
Ok...just to even the score...Denmark sucks!!  

Anyways, I'm not religious. I'm a recovering Catholic, but lean more towards "no opinion" now. Prayer at official functions is not "cutting people out." That's like saying that playing our National Anthem at sporting events cuts any foreigners out of the game. When there is prayer at some official event, I just respect others beliefs, bow my head and catch a few ZZZs.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2001, 04:13:00 PM »
The King is dead!

Long live the King!

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2001, 04:17:00 PM »
It was a Christian prayer as that is the faith this country was founded on and is the largest majority religion in the country today.

StSanta, come on, you can come up with better than that to stir the pot with  

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2001, 04:25:00 PM »
You know...I agree with StSanta.

(and I'm cristian, and believer)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2001, 04:46:00 PM »
Eagler, with all due respect, you're wrong  . And I have the quotes to prove it  

The US has a great constitution, there's no doubt about in. In some areas, it is much superior to what we have here in Denmark. Here, I have to go through, with foul taste in my mouth, a state sponsored exclusive religion. I have to live in a country that essentially is a Lutheran-Evangelical one, eve if it's just words. I'm very intersted in a separation of church and state here and believe it to be doable, especially since the success seen in our neighboring country, Sweden.

Let me pull out some quotes to support my claim of not being totally ignorant about the separation of church and state:

I. U.S. Constitution and U.S. Treaties and State Constitutions

The Constitution of the United States (1787-1788; 1st Ten Amendments ["Bill of Rights"] ratified 1791; no reference to any god is to be found in the body or
in the amendments to the Constitution)

Pretty clear cut.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the
freedom of press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
(Amendment 1,The Constitution
of the United States.)

This one is actually fantastic. Such foresight in those days. Must be admired.

As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion--as it has itself no character of enmity against the law,
religion or tranquility of Musselmen [Muslims], ...
("Article 11, Treaty of Peace and Friendship between The United States and the Bey and Subjects of
Tripoli of Barbary," 1796-1797. Treaties and Other International Acts of the United States of America. Edited by Hunter Miller. Vol. 2, 1776-1818, U.S.
Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1931, p. 365. From George Seldes, ed., The Great Quotations, Secaucus, New Jersey: Citadel Press, 1983, p. 45.

Settles the "one nation under God" issue.

To support it:

Now be it known, that I, John Adams, President of the United States of America, having seen and considered the said treaty do, by and within the consent of
the Senate, accept, ratify and confirm the same, and every clause and article thereof.
("Treaty of Peace and Friendship between The United States and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli of Barbary," 1796-1797.

Showing the freethinking spirit of some of the founding fathers:

I may grow rich by an art I am compelled to follow; I may recover health by medicines I am compelled to take against my own judgment; but I cannot be saved by a worship I disbelieve and abhor. (Thomas Jefferson, notes for a speech, c. 1776. From Gorton Carruth and Eugene Ehrlich, eds., The Harper Book of American Quotations, New York: Harper & Row, 1988, p. 498.)

A quote showing how the American approach and founding fathers positively affected Europe:

Our [Virginia's] act for freedom of religion is extremely applauded. The Ambassadors and ministers of the several nations of Europe resident at this court have asked me copies of it to send to their sovereigns, and it is inserted at full length in several books now in the press; among others, in the new Encyclopedie. I think it will produce considerable good even in those countries where ignorance, superstition, poverty and oppression of body and mind in every form, are so firmly settled on the mass of the people, that their redemption from them can never be hoped. (Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Wythe from Paris, August 13, 1786. From Adrienne Koch, ed., The American Enlightenment: The Shaping of the American Experiment and a Free Society, New York: George Braziller, 1965, p. 311.)  

Thosse favouring a small government will love this one:

It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.(Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782; from George Seldes, ed., The
Great Quotations, Secaucus, New Jersey: Citadel Press, 1983, p. 363

Also relevant:

I am for freedom of religion and against all maneuvers to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another. (Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry,
January 26, 1799. From Gorton Carruth and Eugene Ehrlich, eds., The Harper Book of American Quotations, New York: Harper & Row, 1988, p. 499.)

More relevant to this discussion:

All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will, to be rightful, must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal laws must protect, and to violate which would be oppression. (Thomas Jefferson, "First Inaugural Address," March 4, 1801; from George Seldes, ed., The Great Quotations, Secaucus, New Jersey: Citadel Press, 1983, p. 364.)

And this one, about prayers and fasting:

Certainly, no power to prescribe any religious exercise, or to assume authority in religious discipline, has been delegated to the General Government. It must
then rest with the States, as far as it can be in any human authority. But it is only proposed that I should recommend, not prescribe a day of fasting and prayer.
That is, that I should indirectly assume to the United States an authority over religious exercises, which the Constitution has directly precluded them from. It
must be meant, too, that this recommendation is to carry some authority, and to be sanctioned by some penalty on those who disregard it; not indeed of fine and
imprisonment, but of some degree of proscription, perhaps in public opinion. And does the change in the nature of the penalty make the recommendation less a
law of conduct for those to whom it is directed? I do not believe it is in the best interests of religion to invite the civil magistrate to direct its exercises, its
discipline, or its doctrines; nor of the religious societies, that the General Government should be invested with the power of effecting any uniformity of time
or matter among them. Fasting and prayer are religious exercises; the enjoining them an act of discipline. Every religious society has a right to determine for
itself the times of these exercises, and the objects proper for them, according to their own particular tenets; and this right can never be safer than in their own
hands, where the Constitution has deposited it.
(Thomas Jefferson, just before the end of his second term, in a letter to Samuel Miller--a Presbyterian
minister--on January 23, 1808; from Willson Whitman, arranger, Jefferson's Letters, Eau Claire, Wisconsin: E. M. Hale and Company, ND, pp. 241-242.

Quite clear as well.

This Thomas Jefferson dude seems like a fellow I'd have fun drinking with:

In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to
his own. It is easier to acquire wealth and power by this combination than by deserving them, and to effect this, they have perverted the purest religion ever
preached to man into mystery and jargon, unintelligible to all mankind, and therefore the safer for their purposes.
(Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to Horatio
Spofford, 1814; from George Seldes, ed., The Great Quotations, Secaucus, New Jersey: Citadel Press, 1983, p. 371)

One for us atheists:

... If we did a good act merely from the love of God and a belief that it is pleasing to Him, whence arises the morality of the Atheist? It is idle to say, as some
do, that no such thing exists. We have the same evidence of the fact as of most of those we act on, to wit: their own affirmations, and their reasonings in
support of them. I have observed, indeed, generally, that while in Protestant countries the defections from the Platonic Christianity of the priests is to Deism,
in Catholic countries they are to Atheism. Diderot, D'Alembert, D'Holbach, Condorcet, are known to have been among the most virtuous of men. Their virtue,
then, must have had some other foundation than love of God.
(Thomas Jefferson, letter to Thomas Law, June 13, 1814. From Adrienne Koch, ed., The
American Enlightenment: The Shaping of the American Experiment and a Free Society, New York: George Braziller, 1965, p. 358.)

And:

... Jefferson, who as a careful historian had made a study of the origin of the maxim [that the common law is inextricably linked with Christianity], challenged
such an assertion. He noted that "the common law existed while the Anglo-Saxons were yet pagans, at a time when they had never yet heard the name of Christ
pronounced or that such a character existed .... What a conspiracy this, between Church and State."
(Leo Pfeffer, Religion, State, and the Burger Court,
Buffalo, New York: Prometheus Books, 1984, p. 121.)

This one is directly applicable to the topic:

And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together. (James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822; published in The Complete Madison: His Basic Writings, ed. by
Saul K. Padover, New York: Harper & Bros., 1953.)

Something for the current set of American politicians to learn from:

[on Washington's first inaugural speech in April 1789] . .. That he was not just striking a popular attitude as a politician is revealed by the absence of of the
usual Christian terms: he did not mention Christ or even use the word "God." Following the phraseology of the philosophical Deism he professed, he referred to "the invisible hand which conducts the affairs of men," to "the benign parent of the human race."
(James Thomas Flexner, George Washington and the New
Nation [1783-1793], Boston: Little, Brown and Company, 1970, p. 184.)

Deism of course is the belief that a god or gods created the world but left it at that and does not meddle further into the affairs of the universe.

How about some protection from religion (freedom from religion, even)

As to religion, I hold it to be the indispensable duty of government to protect all conscientious protesters thereof, and I know of no other business government
has to do therewith.
(Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776. As quoted by Leo Pfeffer, "The Establishment Clause: The Never-Ending Conflict," in Ronald C.
White and Albright G. Zimmerman, An Unsettled Arena: Religion and the Bill of Rights, Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing
Company, 1990, p. 72.)

E PLURIBUS UNUM, latin for "one out of many" does not refer to any god or religious matter, it's a direct reference to the creation of one nation, from 13 states.

There are a lot of quotes that can be used. Just taking a cross section to support that mixing religion and state is in violation with the ideals of the founding fathers. They'd probably be screaming loudly if they saw the current state of affairs. I'll post more if needed.

------------------
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2001, 04:52:00 PM »
Santa, as atheist ,what do you think that the purpose of life is? just curious...I have my own ideas and many of them include God in the equation.

I'd really like to know what does someone,like you, that believes there is no god, answer to this question. Because if I am put in your place, I dont find any sense to life, other than a black hole.

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2001, 05:17:00 PM »
Santa, how does the lack of "official" seperation of state and church in Denmark, leave you with a foul taste?
Church tax is optional.
Education about religion in Schools covers all the major + several minor religions.
The Church has *no* power in terms of law and legislation.
We dont have premiers referring to God(s) every 3rd sentence and we dont have prayers in parliament. I really dont see the issue.

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
"This is Yardstick. Follow me"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2001, 05:20:00 PM »
Well, the USA and its' constitution were founded on the the bible and the beliefs that christianity follows.  Just because people of other religions have entered the country since its inception is no reason to forget the things the nation was built upon.

That's part of the deal I guess:  You have freedom of religion, but only because the christian people who founded the nation guaranteed it to you - don't expect everyone to like it, or follow your religion, especially since many other religions run contrary to the ideas put forth by the founding fathers.

If you are a hindu believer, and the fact that there was no prayer to sheeba in the inaugoration upsets you, you have the freedom to whine about it, or move back to India.  Not many places on the planet can say the same.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2001, 05:27:00 PM »
If you don't pray, think of whatever doing the moments of prayer or silence. Just because you can't believe in a God, don't ask the rest of us not to either...

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2001, 05:30:00 PM »

Originally posted by Gman:

If you are a hindu believer, and the fact that there was no prayer to sheeba in the inaugoration upsets you, you have the freedom to whine about it, or move back to India.  Not many places on the planet can say the same.

Almost any democratic nation in the world  

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2001, 06:07:00 PM »

Originally posted by RAM:
Santa, as atheist ,what do you think that the purpose of life is? just curious...I have my own ideas and many of them include God in the equation.

I'd really like to know what does someone,like you, that believes there is no god, answer to this question. Because if I am put in your place, I dont find any sense to life, other than a black hole.

You asked, I'll answer. I'm christian by baptism, not by choice. I chose to take my own path, did not like what I heard from the church or from anyone spouting their beliefs in my direction. I've been to a few churchs just to keep up on what they think and what their doing. One church I went to practiced a form of brainwash. No lie, no sarcasm, honest truth. They tried to suck me in, "without believing in God your life will be empty and you when you die you will go to hell." To this I replied "I'm living my life just fine without your God placing a burden on it, I have free time on Sundays. I do not feel I need to worship something I can not feel, see, hear, or have seen any sign exists. How can I go to hell if I don't believe there is one?" Anyways, that pissed 'em off really good and they retorted with religious quotes from the bible. I didn't pay much attention, wasn't interesting. I just turned my back and walked away. That left a really bad taste in my mouth, I don't like being told what I should and should not believe in.

I live my life quite fine without having to look for something superior to guide me through it. I found my niche, and it's working out just fine. It's my fault if I do something dumb or wrong, and I have always done just fine without a God in my life.

Maybe there is no sense to life, you are born, you live a while and then you die. To animals have a purpose in life? Yes, to live and promote their species. Do we have a purpose to live? Only if you make a purpose to it. My take on life is to live my life to the fullest and have fun while I'm here. When it's over, it's over and that's it for me. Nothing to look forward to at the end, only thing to do is to have fun while I'm here... and so I do.
That's what I think as a non-religious person.
-SW

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2001, 06:19:00 PM »
FYI: George Washington began the tradition of an inaugural prayer service in 1789.

Edit: Typo..oops  

[This message has been edited by Ozark (edited 01-21-2001).]