Author Topic: So much for separation of church and state  (Read 3687 times)

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
So much for separation of church and state
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2001, 04:34:00 PM »
amen brother eagler! whatever does the dishes-

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2001, 05:48:00 PM »
Ice:

"For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power."

Some insult. I haven't called you Christian dudes names yet, so why do you call me names?   .

F*ck you too, is my reply   .

<note the humour in this post, and please, please, please, do not take it personally  

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"We are the light at the end of your sorry little tunnel." - A. Eldritch

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 01-23-2001).]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2001, 06:11:00 PM »
guys? what about the dollar thing?  

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2001, 06:11:00 PM »
Santa-

Whoa! He is quoting the Bible WRT the nature of man, not you personally. If you read the passage, you see it is a pretty good description of the world. I don't believe he was in any way directing an insult towards you.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2001, 07:26:00 PM »
TAC- see somebody responded - i agree lets trash the old dollar slogan and substitute it with "whadda you lookin' at"

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2001, 07:38:00 PM »
Really? where? not even with wordsearch do I find it. Please point it out  

Im really interested in this. My US Gov. teacher never could answer that one.

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2001, 09:33:00 PM »

"For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power."

I would just like to interject that is not a matter of whether you believe there is a God or not and whether you serve him or not that determines your morals. It is you who sets your morals for yourself, or you can abide to a set of morals already established. Generally this quote from the Bible is in reference to those that are without faith, or "lost" as the church likes to say. Now the question I have for you, how many people of faith do you think are much like the aforementioned quote describes? Quite a few, it's all a matter of what you think is right and wrong. Where you place yourself amongst your fellow man. You do not need a God or faith to be a good person. To say that would be like an uninformed juvenile telling a physics teacher what elements we have yet to discover. Get my drift? I do not believe in a God, and I have no faith... but I am still a person with morals. Just because I am considered a pagen, I do not run around being sub-human.

So let us pretend for this moment there is indeed a God and that God has been judging us since the day we were born till the day we die. A man of faith comes up to that God to be judged, but he has quite a few "deviations" in his life in which he was quite less than what God expected of him. He asked for forgiveness, he was forgiven(let us pretend). He is admitted into the next afterlife(lets pretend it's the catholic heaven in this instance).

Now, a man of no faith who has lived a great life who has made a few mistakes but did not ask for forgiveness comes up before the God. He served his fellow man and could always be counted on for helping his fellow man. He did what he was asked of, and he always satisfied everyone around him. The mistakes he made were small ones, but enough to put a mark on his record. This man of no faith has lived a great life and while he did not serve the God, he served man. He was ignorant of the fact there was a God, so he did not know.

Do you think he'll be admitted into this heaven that exists?(still pretending remember)

I'd like to hear your answers. Men of faith aren't the only good people on this planet. ;-)
-SW

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2001, 10:43:00 PM »
So Many Amereican bashers out there don't appriciate what the United States has done in the world . American loaned half the world money and manpower to rebuild after WWII.

IN GOD WE TRUST  

[This message has been edited by paintmaw (edited 01-23-2001).]

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2001, 10:57:00 PM »
Seawulfe-

This is one of arguments commonly brought out in such a discussion. Is it possible to be a good person and not be saved? Yes.

Assume God is perfection, and in His perfection He cannot tolerate sin with Him. Any sin. Also assume that man is destined to sin regardless of any effort made to the contrary. This means that the only way anyone gets to heaven is through the grace of God, i.e. He forgives all your sins. You must ask for forgiveness and have a real change of heart in order to be given this gift. You see, if you don't ask for forgiveness it is like being in denial of your sin. If you are in denial you can hardly be repentant. Without repenting you will never change. Without change you remain sinful.

People cannot make themselves perfect, as I think even the most agnostic or atheistic can concur. You only have then to believe that God will not allow sin to enter heaven to understand why you must ask forgiveness to be saved.

I don't necessarily think that unbelievers are terrible people; I was raised in an atheistic family, and I love them. We are all accountable for our lives, and if you are a believer, you know that you will do so before God at the judgement. If you recognize your sin and earnestly repent, you are forgiven however heinous your sin. To God, sin is sin, there is no degree. If you do not repent you are accountable nonetheless, but with the additional sin of having rejected God, the only truly unforgiveable sin. As to not knowing God, it states in scripture that all will have the opportunity, but many will reject.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2001, 04:42:00 AM »
towd,

Buddhist here too (Soto Zen).  I agree, very interesting.  A salute to all!

ingame: Raz

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2001, 05:06:00 AM »
Kieren; that was a DIRECT REFERENCE to people of no faith; it is as insulting and harsh as the following:

Christians are mindless ugly bigots using their oppressive dogma to compensate for lack of charm, intelligence, objectivity and grace. They're nitwits idiot with the charm of a 6 week hangover and two pints of urine combined. So poor are their brains and so big are their delusions that they think there is a big Skydaddy In the Clouds that has a personal interest in everyones sex life. So braindead, idiotic, moronic and useless is their philosophy that it is an insult to human intelligence to let this vile piece of puke infect an otherwise healthy and potentialy good mind. It is utterly distateful to see them spread their poisons into the minds of the defenceless; the young kids who have total faith in their parents.

Christians are disgusting. They're appaling. They're the result of eons of superstition and impervious to logic and reason. It is hard not to hate all of them and, personally,  I wish they all die horrible deaths, preferrably at my hands".

Nice huh?

If I went around calling Christians all this, would they not be A TAD BIT P'D OFF?

So why apply double standards?

Ice, thanks for bringing it up though; it validates my belief in western humanism.

Seawulfe, the way I've had it explained is that the Christian deity runs by different rules than what we earthlings do - i.e what we think is good, he might not. We don't know exactly how he judges even though we, through the bible, have a good idea of what he considers good and bad, so therefore the only way to get into heaven is by his grace.

Along these lines are Pascal's Wager. Pascal was a great mathematician, which has led me to believe his wager  was more of a humorous attempt than anything else: It goes:

If God REALLY exists, and we believe (= bet that God exists), we have an infinite gain.  
If God REALLY exists, and we don't believe that, then we have the potential of an infinite loss (hell, or at least eternal separation from God).
If God really does NOT EXIST, and we believe that God exists, we essentially lose nothing.
If God really does NOT EXIST, and we believe that God doesn't exist, we essentially gain nothing.

In short; the rational approach is to believe in god, since you lose nothing and have everything to gain.

It looks very compelling at the surface, but once again, the logic is flawed.

Assume that God is Barney the Atheist Loving God who dislikes believers. You have now reversed the table. That's the most fundamental flaw of it (and there are others, logic related ones).

I find it rewarding to discuss such things - sometimes I am wrong, sometimes the ones I discuss with are wrong. Spent hours on the undernet #atheism and #philosophy channel throwing arguments around for fun in a good natured way - I believe it is good for me to realise the flaws of my positions and I enjoy dissecting the arguments of others.

But this is one thing. Being called selfish and whatnot for being a non theist - and this is *in the bible*, which means that any good Christian is to believe it, since it is God's words, is UTTERLY INSULTING.

How can you NOT get pissed off when some OLD guy who wrote a passage in a book calls you all these names without knowing you, and then gets all his loyal followers to adopt the same position?

It is insulting. As insulting as my first passage about Christians (which is equally untrue) is.

Dude. I'm a good person. The Bible is wrong in that passage. But can it be wrong in the eyes of the bible following Christian, since it is the word of God?

Would really like the input from Christians on this one; are all non Christians this bad?

------------------
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"I don't necessarily agree with everything I think." - A. Eldritch

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2001, 06:43:00 AM »
Whoa. If you can take that passage of the Bible as a personal insult I think you are really reaching. It was describing a broad range of humanity, not you specifically. It doesn't say if you don't believe you are guilty of all of those sins. It describes the different types of people that are out there. Moreover, believers are lumped in there, too. That's right, believers are not perfect, that is the point. I could just as easily see myself in that passage as you can, and I am a believer.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2001, 07:09:00 AM »
Kieren, it is implicity saying that those who deny the power of god is amongst the crowd, and then we have guilt by association.

I could add a bit to my insult and make it the same way. The intent would be very well in the open, but there'd be an escape clause.

------------------
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"I don't necessarily agree with everything I think." - A. Eldritch

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2001, 07:33:00 AM »
I think that we sometimes forget that the term "God" is a concept, an idea, a projection of the rational mind and nothing else.

The key is not to ask, "Where is God?" but to ask, "Where does that question come from?"  

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2001, 07:34:00 AM »
Just another note on the discussion...

I somehow get the feeling from non-Christians that Christians walk around in an aura of haughtiness, as if they are superior. Indeed, some do, but most I know are the opposite. Christians have every one of the failings of non-Christians, make no mistake about it. All you need do is read Exodus to discover that, even though the Israelites saw the power of God directly, they defied it. That book serves as a warning to believers that if one isn't wary to the wants of the flesh will overcome one. Time and again the Bible speaks of how supposedly religious people use their position in religious society to acquire personal gain at the expense of others. The Bible refers to people that had been strong supporters of Christianity but had fallen away. Take any of the religious figures you can name (aside from Jesus) and their sins are there to read in black-and-white. Believers are not without sin. At the same time there are stories of how, with God's help, these people overcome their personal desires and work to God's glory.

In the end it seems you view Christians as a group of people pointing their fingers out at society and spouting how bad everyone is, and how pure they themselves are. Wrong. Christians point that finger at themselves daily and strive to find their own demons to exorcise. Christians believe that all have a daily struggle against sin, a personal struggle. But Christians are also taught to help uplift their fellow man, to witness, to rebuke when necessary, and to be an example of Christian faith.

But let's parse that paragraph a bit for an interpretation:

"For men will be lovers of themselves,
Vanity

lovers of money,
Greedy

boasters,
Braggarts

proud,
Not recognizing God's role in life or success

blasphemers,
Knowingly acting against God (i.e., using the Lord's name in vain)

disobedient to parents,
Incorrigible

unthankful,
To either God or anyone

unholy,
Following self-destructive pursuits, or degrading of another's humanity

unloving,
Can refer to not loving God (obedience), or more directly not loving anyone

unforgiving,
Bearing grudges

slanderers,
Gossip

without self control,
Prone to emotional outbursts

brutal,
Cruel; incapable of empathy

despisers of good,
This can mean someone who knows good from bad, but chooses bad. Acting against what is right is construed as "despising good"

traitors,
Take literally

headstrong,
Stubborn

haughty,
"Holier-than-thou"

lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,
Again, a reference of knowing right from wrong and choosing wrong, in this case knowing God's will and denying it in favor of personal desires

having a form of godliness but denying its power."
As the Bible states, we are made in God's image, therefore we have "the form of Godliness" but by refusing to accept God we deny His power.

[This message has been edited by Kieren (edited 01-24-2001).]