Author Topic: F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4  (Read 3741 times)

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2006, 09:38:55 AM »
Funny thing about torque

Everybody likes to scream about torque modeling in AH but little is ever shown to represent how much torque should be represented in each A/C.

If you want to know which A/C had the greatest torque effect just look at the POH and see how much rudder and aileron trim was required on takeoff. The more trim the greater the torque effect.

The famed "torque roll" of the F4U had much more to do with the stalling characteristics of the A/C with full flaps deployed. No matter what the engine power was when it stalled it rolled to the left. This was because of an assymetrical stall not the tourque of the engine. On takeoff it only required 6 degrees of rudder trim. Not much to get excited about.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2006, 09:53:08 AM »
Originally posted by Flaps
300 gals/min? Thats the one with the afterburners, right?

Haha, it'd be like a commercial I saw a long time ago with a sports car sitting at a gas station.  It revved once and went from full to 2/3rds, then again and went from 2/3rds to 1/3, and once more and it was on empty lol.

Offline JimBeam

• Copper Member
i though we were freinds?
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2006, 09:14:16 PM »
i thought we were buddies you could have lied and said i was atleast secound to last :) im jk. im honored to be on your list. one of these days creton im gonna get you in that hog.. be afraid be very very afraid!
Beamer
JimBeam 367th "Dynamite Gang"

"In my experience JimBeam never goes down easy" -wil3ur

Pilots...looking down on people since 1903