Author Topic: This has always puzzled me...  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
This has always puzzled me...
« on: April 30, 2006, 11:12:09 AM »
I've got a great film I took today.  Knights were fighting Bish over by some field in the middle.  Knights end up winning, vulch the field for a bit (while leaving the ack up, brainiacs), basically kill the fight.  

Anyway, the next field over starts showing a bar, so I fly over there.  I notice a couple dots, figure I'll film the encounter.  

I end up capturing a perfect example of the retardedness of the MA.  

I'll need a host, but I'll explain the film to you.  

Spit 16 and a Niki, start off higher but presumably slower than me (field was elevated).  Both come down to make lazy halfass passes.  Both break off their passes when I turn.  Then they kind of make a couple more halfass passes, always breaking off as soon as I stop flying straight and level.  Another plane comes, a 109.  He also comes boring in for a pass, and ALSO breaks off when I manuever.  

I think at this point I just get bored, and decide to joust with the Niki (I might have dodged a couple more halfass bore n zoom passes, I'm not sure).  

Predictably, the niki holds the trigger down and flies straight at me.  

Why on EARTH do people do that?  They are so afraid to fight that they'll break off a bore n zoom pass if the target so much as breaks, but in a joust they just flip down the visor and hold the trigger down.  

That has GOT to be the most retarded logic I've ever had the pleasure to witness.  Why on earth would you casually accept a 50% chance of getting blown up or crippled, when you won't even press an attack on a moving target.  

So why do people do it?

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 11:21:07 AM »
welcome to dweebs low

the whole game has completely deteriorated over the last year and a bit, skill wise. just hotards and timid dweebs now:(

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 11:26:58 AM »
Nah, it used to happen before then too,  I quit ~ a year ago because the timidity was overwhelming and had sucked all the fun out of the game.  

I may have even posted about this exact same behaviour before, I'm to lazy to look.

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 11:28:48 AM »
Why on EARTH do people do that? They are so afraid to fight that they'll break off a bore n zoom pass if the target so much as breaks, but in a joust they just flip down the visor and hold the trigger down

The MA is nothing more than an ARCADE ARENA any more.If you want some good fighting action then spend more time in the AvA, and before you say" well there's never anyone in there" you should spend some time in the arena, eventually someone will show up and fight with you.

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 11:31:40 AM »
ya this isnt new.. this is usually when i just sit in tower taking ships and writing my name.. or see if one of my buddies is in a furball so i can .join and kill em :D
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 11:34:44 AM »
ahhh, it just drives me mad lol. perhaps it's due to the fact that 1 1/2 years ago i was a total noob, so i considered these guys good, and now that i've learned how to play properly, i see the same skill level differently, but man, it's so boring

Offline LEDPIG

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 11:47:37 AM »
What are you flying urchin a spit? Why in the world would a mack truck try to dogfight a ferrarri unless your just plain stupid are really good. A p- 47 or p-38's advantage is speed, vertical performance why would i just blow my advantage to try to kill you on your terms? No i'm gonna make you follow me get you frustrated blow your energy and keep my advantage and kill you easy as i can. In a 109 or another spit hell yea i'd say dogfight all day. I don't think in ww2 actual pilots were told to dogfight a plane that had the advantage over them in a particular area unless they liked the taste of bullets in their mouth. I'd say if you've got it like that, by all means fight Mike Tyson if your a midget, otherwise kick him in the knees and break his legs to try to leverage his unfair advantage.
S.A.P.P. member (armed and lubricated)

Providing bait for other SAPP pilots since 2005

Formerly Leadpig...Proud to be one of the PNG'd...
Skuzzyfied!

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 11:52:46 AM »
Originally posted by LEDPIG
What are you flying urchin a spit? Why in the world would a mack truck try to dogfight a ferrarri unless your just plain stupid are really good. A p- 47 or p-38's advantage is speed, vertical performance why would i just blow my advantage to try to kill you on your terms? No i'm gonna make you follow me get you frustrated blow your energy and keep my advantage and kill you easy as i can. In a 109 or another spit hell yea i'd say dogfight all day. I don't think in ww2 actual pilots were told to dogfight a plane that had the advantage over them in a particular area unless they liked the taste of bullets in their mouth. I'd say if you've got it like that, by all means fight Mike Tyson if your a midget, otherwise kick him in the knees and break his legs to try to leverage his unfair advantage.

precisely the attitude that we're talking about. this game has become about kills and score to loads of people, when it's actually about aerial combat.

decent pilots dont keep loads of e, they dump all of theirs, making it harder, more fun, and more funny when you own the guy.

this game isnt about getting easy kills mate, that's just sad, this game is about the thrill of the fight:aok

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 12:05:38 PM »
A couple of things I'd like to say; from the average guy's perspective, instead of the vet's.

Personally, I don't mind the "halfass passes" part. As an average pilot myself, I know how other average pilots feel about this.

Pilots like us are in between the 'total n00b' and the 'seasoned vet' stage - and like with many other things in the world, normal people like us know that the odds are we probably won't ever be able to become as good as some of those vets in the game, no matter how long we play, or how hard we try.

Therefore, we are fully sensitive about the dangers of committing to a fight, and since we don't have any fantasies of our own skill level we will often choose to play it safe. Being average doesn't necessarily mean being inexperienced, and with a few passes we can easily sense if the guy we're attacking is a potentially dangerous prey or not.

Some vets will say that with an attitude like that, we won't ever become better in the game. It may be true, but frankly, that's none of their business in the first place. Nobody interferes in how the vets fly their planes, so why should they interfere in how us average guys fly our planes? If somebody flying 'timid' is boring, then one can simply disengage, come at co-E or higher alt, and be the one on the offensive, instead of playing the 'halfass dodgeball'.

I mean, us halfasses weren't exactly the ones who forced the vets to fly (often) inferior grade planes at lower altitudes than us.

We know what vets like - they love reversing situation in their low-flying, inferior planes. Shooting us down in their low-flying, inferior planes will makes them feel superior(which they probably are anyway). From the vet's perspective, us average guys of AH are supposed to be cannon fodder. We're supposed to go down like that. If AH was a Top-Gun movie, the vets think themselves as Tom Cruise in his F-14, and we average guys are supposed to be like the middle Eastern bad-guy pilots who get ass-wooped everytime. And when we refuse to oblige to that, then the vets start getting mad at us.

We're supposed to attack superior enemy pilots in a rash manner, engaging in a 1:1 duel, and then dumbfoundedly get reversed, and get shot down miserably. If we actually choose to fly in a way which ensures our own survival, and perhaps grant a certain chance of victory as well (flying with alt.. flying with friends.. etc etc..), then they start calling us names.

Hey, if you don't like us timid halfasses, then get a better plane and fly higher so we can't play timid like that. As I said, we aren't the ones who forced you guys to fly lower than us, in a mid-war plane. Sorry if we refuse to become one of your kills in a 10 kill sortie, but we aren't the extras in this movie.

That being said,

...a true half-ass average would never do a lame HO like described in the latter part of Urchin's post. Like I said, we're average and skill-less, but that doesn't mean we're inexperienced. We weigh our chances of survival carefully and timidly, and we believe that if we can survive long enough, we can at least get a chance to gang-up on someone else and actually get a kill. However, just doing lazy BnZ passes and then HOing someone at the first chance is simply being stupid, taking unnecessary risks. Therefore, the guys that Urchin met are dweebs, and they are not "true-blue" halfass averagers.

So in the future, please take care you vets notice the difference between us averagers and dweebs. We may piss you off the same, but we're actually very different. :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 12:08:26 PM by Kweassa »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 12:13:12 PM »
Urchin what were you flying?

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 12:13:19 PM »
Kweassa, sadly every one of the timid pilots I've run across except maybe 1 or two will go for the ho/ram, yet run away short of me doing anything except blatantly giving them my 6.  I have to do this the majority of the time in the MA just to get anyone to engage me.  It's really sad.

Urchin, I have no idea why they do it.  It perplexes me as well.  Makes zero sense at all, yet almost all of them seem to do it.

:huh

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 12:15:06 PM »
I'd have to agree with several key points that Kweassa made. And I'd have to disagree with Pooface.

You basically want everybody to drop everything, blow every advantage, and stall-fight you (in your spit) in a turn fight. Expecting that is silly, to say the least. I think most folks feel this way because the better turn fighters are usually the slower aircraft, so they can't reverse on fast moving fighters like the p51 or typhoon, and they can't chase them, can't catch them. So they can turn, and all they want is for the enemy to turn.

But what if the enemy won't turn? Whip out the "Big book O' Names" and tune to ch. 200, let the name-throwing commence.

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 12:22:28 PM »
precisely the attitude that we're talking about. this game has become about kills and score to loads of people, when it's actually about aerial combat.

It's about whatever your $15 says it's about for you. Who cares how someone flies & dies, if it matters to you, go find a different fight. I'm a terrible pilot but I enjoy getting low & slow in a Hurri-2C & dying. I myself like to win....I hate to lose; but because of how pitiful I am at ACM I have gotten used to it.

The so called vets won't admit it, but they are as score conscious as the "score potatos" because they like to win, if you didn't like to win, you wouldn't care. I get aggravated when I get HO'd over & over....because I can't win a HO...if I could it wouldn't bother me:lol  It boils down to winning is fun & losing sucks.....if you're so skilled that no one can challenge your mad skills & you win without fail thus making you bored with the skill-less dweeb noobs, then the HO isn't going to get you anyway. My god,....you can't use the strengths of your plane or your a run dweeb or a cherry picker or a skill-less tard for trying to turn with a better pilot etc.....give it a rest people or take yourselves a break.:aok The good can't be as good as they claim or there would be a whole lot less crying about stuff in here; because winners don't complain...only us losers.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 12:26:42 PM »
Originally posted by Max
Urchin what were you flying?

I was in a Spit this sortie, but I've noticed it in other planes.  

I actually had one El gay follow me around for about 15 minutes when I was in a 190A8, doing that lame crap.  He'd make a pass, break off if I moved, run away, come back a little bit later.  

Eventually I just let him get 400 yards off my 6 without moving, then broke when he started firing.  He missed the shot, tried to follow me around, then tried to run when he realized he was actually in a fight.  He got to about 600 yards away before I managed to S&P his wing off.

Then he logged off, guess he didn't want to get called out of Ch 200, since that was the only time I have tuned to it since I came back (to taunt his worthless sissy ass).

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 12:31:40 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I'd have to agree with several key points that Kweassa made. And I'd have to disagree with Pooface.

You basically want everybody to drop everything, blow every advantage, and stall-fight you (in your spit) in a turn fight. Expecting that is silly, to say the least. I think most folks feel this way because the better turn fighters are usually the slower aircraft, so they can't reverse on fast moving fighters like the p51 or typhoon, and they can't chase them, can't catch them. So they can turn, and all they want is for the enemy to turn.

But what if the enemy won't turn? Whip out the "Big book O' Names" and tune to ch. 200, let the name-throwing commence.

No Krusty, I'd agree with you if I exclusively flew the Spit.  I get timid horde pilots in *every* kind of plane doing the timid halfass stuff while waiting for friends to show up and help.  I can be a 109/190 and I'll get a couple Spit 16s above me circling, waiting for more - because they are to timid to mix it up with a plane that is much less manueverable than theirs.  It is disgusting, as far as I'm concerned.  

I just want to fight, I'll fight anyone in anything as long as it is fun.  I think I've died maybe 2 or 3 times one on one this tour, and all of them were knife fighting more manueverable planes than the one I was flying.  Why?  Because I enjoy it, it is fun.

Dodging X timid sissies in whatever plane I happen to be flying is *not* fun.  And 99% of the timid sissies will lower the lance and flip down the visor if you offer them a joust... which is completely incomprehensible to me.  It makes no sense at all.