Author Topic: This has always puzzled me...  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
This has always puzzled me...
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2006, 05:21:28 PM »
one thing that kills the game...

Score.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2006, 05:30:26 PM »
i constantly have to think of new ways to have fun in the game...i do like gv's so that helps..my dogfighting skills have completely gone to crap due to my own lack of interest in fighting 10 on one anymore...and as said earlier its a ho or a run with most ma pilots in one on ones..this is just the way it is, not anyones's fault i guess but it doesnt change the facts the alot of vets are just bored with it...you have to understand that this is not the gameplay that most vets are used to..this type of timidness would get you called out quick a few years ago, there are just too many players now

i was on a few days ago wingin with 2 squaddies and let one of them fight a con alone without interference, as well as told everyone else to please stay out..the same guy brought 8 wingmen back and promptly ganged the crap outta me with bnz cannon planes after i tried to engage him alone..its two different styles of play i guess :confused:

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2006, 05:41:44 PM »
Originally posted by FALCONWING
One other thing....knits/rooks HO like mad..i assume Bish do as well...

Bish HO as much as anyone, they just have worse aim.

I don't think Urchin (and, yes, he is a damn good dogfighter) was going on a BnZ v. TnB rant so much as being puzzled at the logic of accepting a HO joust with a 50-50 chance of dying but running away from an engagement which showed any sign of fighting back.

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2006, 05:48:34 PM »
its two different styles of play i guess

you said a mouth-full right there.

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2006, 06:02:31 PM »
Originally posted by jaxxo
i constantly have to think of new ways to have fun in the game..

its two different styles of play i guess :confused:

Yeah. I think part of it is just the size of the community. When the game was "smaller" there was more peer pressure in terms of style of play. Now with all the zip-code playerID's and all ... well ... it is what it is.

And the whole "timid flyer" thing is subjective anyway. If you're in a 190 or P47, hey, BnZ is what you chose to do when you chose that plane. So I don't have a problem with people using the planes as they were intended.

The thing that keeps me around is that there are so many things to do. And so many friends in the game, some of whom I've known over a decade.

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2006, 06:06:01 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin

Then he logged off, guess he didn't want to get called out of Ch 200, since that was the only time I have tuned to it since I came back (to taunt his worthless sissy ass).

This last line is why you, Chi and all others like you are actually the horse's rear.  This is your fragile ego, crying "look at me, I'm great!", and wanting to rub someone's nose in it, thus making you a sad pathetic excuse for a human being and a damn poor waste of protoplasm.

I have never seen anywhere, online or in the real world, so many people who love to taunt, ridicule, belittle, and foster anger in others than I find here.  I keep hoping that I find out most these types are foreigners playing the game, cause fairplay, respect and honor just can't be missing that badly from Americans.

"Children behave!"
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2006, 06:14:45 PM »
I keep hoping that I find out most these types are foreigners playing the game, cause fairplay, respect and honor just can't be missing that badly from Americans.

I didn't know there are foreigners on the internet :confused:

Offline LEDPIG

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2006, 07:01:37 PM »
Anything is fair to me, kill me how you have to, do what you want, they are all tactics. I do enjoy the straight dogfight i also enjoy guys that fly smart and wear me down. I don't think theres an actual fighter pilot that would complain about how they kill are how they got killed the only thing thats important is to just kill. Be ruthless be aggressive be smart use your advantage over mine, if your in a bnz plane don't dogfight me in a spit that would be stupid on your part to think your going to come down blow your e and outmaneaver me in a plane that weighs 8 tons more. At some time though after you've boomed and zoomed your going to have to blow some e to get a shot and thats when it gets fun. I fly the P-38 alot and generally i keep speed above 300knts and slash into the fight until i have a shot then i'll come down and blow some e to kill, but i try not to go round and round the merry go round with a spit or something and play his game.  However if i'm in a 109 i will go round and round because the two planes are more equal and it's more fun. But i have learned one thing in this game being new, if you want to learn go down and get killed in the mellee in your big fat airplane i think the best pilots can have a chance against the smaller planes no matter what there flying and think they got killed ALOT to do it. Once you do that then you've learned and YOU become a weapon.
S.A.P.P. member (armed and lubricated)

Providing bait for other SAPP pilots since 2005

Formerly Leadpig...Proud to be one of the PNG'd...
Skuzzyfied!

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2006, 07:06:19 PM »
Originally posted by Sloehand
This last line is why you, Chi and all others like you are actually the horse's rear.  This is your fragile ego, crying "look at me, I'm great!", and wanting to rub someone's nose in it, thus making you a sad pathetic excuse for a human being and a damn poor waste of protoplasm.

I have never seen anywhere, online or in the real world, so many people who love to taunt, ridicule, belittle, and foster anger in others than I find here.  I keep hoping that I find out most these types are foreigners playing the game, cause fairplay, respect and honor just can't be missing that badly from Americans.

"Children behave!"

You are welcome to your opinion, but it is my opinion that "fairplay, respect, and honor" is sadly lacking in the vast majority of gamers in the MA.  In fact, compared to the folks who's typical method of fighting is commonly displayed at Renaissance Fairs everywhere I think I'm a veritable knight in shining armor.

I get frustrated just like everyone else, and one of the things that frustrates me the most is seeing someone who is in a plane that is superior in every single way to the one I'm in refuse to fight at all.  Not E-fighting, not angles fighting, not doing much except making lazy halfass bore n zoom passes while screaming for more people to show up and come help him (presumably).

I personally don't think I've got much of an ego.. and I know for sure it isn't fragile, so the projection is an inaccurate one.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2006, 07:07:30 PM »
In regards to Kweassas post, newbs, vets, and being good at anything.

Getting good at anything means that basicly you are going to have to make some mistakes. In this game, mistakes usually end with death. The way I always looked at it was, you're NOT REALLY DYING. So if you do "DIE" in your plane, think about what it was that got you dead, and try to fix it. There is always something to take away from every fight, or things. Lessons in AH are only learned through making mistakes and getting blown out of the sky.

To put it at bluntly as humanly possible, if you are going to fly like a panzy, never die, and always be afraid to commit to a fight that you might die in, then you WILL NEVER GET BETTER.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2006, 07:36:56 PM »

one of the things that frustrates me the most is seeing someone who is in a plane that is superior in every single way to the one I'm in refuse to fight at all.  

maybe they feel sorry for you flying such a poor plane and don't want to take advantage of your poor choice. maybe they want a "fair fight"

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2006, 07:57:11 PM »
The interesting thing is, if there were three planes and they actively pursued an aggressive BnZ, everyone would be having a blast, Urchin probably would have bit the bullet eventually, thus one of the BnZers would get that nice toasty feeling of a kill and at least Urchin would have had a fun challenge.

Would someone please post a film redeeming BnZers????  There IS a way to do it that doesn't come off half assed and everyone (including victim) has to put down the beer and try a little.  This usually results in fun for everyone...  

And as to the original question...  No, it makes absolutely no sense in my mind to be afraid of screwing up a barrel roll etc. only to accept 50% odds for a HO a few minutes later.  None at all.  I don't get it.  You're always better off screwing up behind the plane then rolling the die in front of it.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2006, 08:16:18 PM »
You are welcome to your opinion, but it is my opinion that "fairplay, respect, and honor" is sadly lacking in the vast majority of gamers in the MA.  In fact, compared to the folks who's typical method of fighting is commonly displayed at Renaissance Fairs everywhere I think I'm a veritable knight in shining armor.

I get frustrated just like everyone else, and one of the things that frustrates me the most is seeing someone who is in a plane that is superior in every single way to the one I'm in refuse to fight at all.  Not E-fighting, not angles fighting, not doing much except making lazy halfass bore n zoom passes while screaming for more people to show up and come help him (presumably).

I personally don't think I've got much of an ego.. and I know for sure it isn't fragile, so the projection is an inaccurate one.
Spot on.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2006, 08:45:52 PM »
The BnZing isn't so bad, annoying but it is a flying style I guess. But like everyone else has said, it's when the guy takes 15 mins and then finally will just HO you. Seems like a waste of time when he could have done that within the 1st few minutes and saved us both the time.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Booz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2006, 09:14:14 PM »
Less than half the players can maintain a 0.5 k:d... 50/50 shot on average is an improvement.