Author Topic: Idea discussed at the con.  (Read 10305 times)

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
Idea discussed at the con.
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2006, 04:59:55 PM »
1 minute

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #166 on: July 08, 2006, 08:19:43 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
Am I the only one who is seeing this as a waste of time???
 [/B]

I think HTC is one of the best in time management.  What they have done, with the few people they have, is totaly amazing in my opinion.  I don't stay up at night worrying about HT wasting his time.
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Angry Samoan

• Silver Member
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2006, 08:49:22 PM »
ehem  
Getting back to thread subject.

Originally posted by Rolex
There is no problem. A death is a death, be it from ack that should have been killed first, or a high con who did what he was supposed to do and anticipated correctly.

You could have dropped higher, gone in higher, had been part of a team effort to accomplish your goal.

Anticipation, planning and thinking should be rewarded, shouldn't they?

And luck (good and bad) is a legitimate part of life, war and games... ;)

gunnerCAF and Rolex sums it up for me.

Base porkers never intend on making it home.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 09:09:41 PM by Angry Samoan »

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2006, 09:44:14 PM »
Well rather than timer that affects one part of the problem namely dive bombing buffs a porkers -

a) More ack at fields, more mannable and bigger guns.
b) Buffs only bomb from the site.

Not only addresses the above problem but also -
a) Dive bombing buffs on GVs
b) Dive bombing buffs on CVs

Timer is so lame, but if it is implmented I see NO reason why the same logic can't be applied to suicde buffs/jabos on GV's and CV's.

I'm a base porker and I always intend to make it home, just doesn't happen sometimes.
Mostly get hit by ack.

For the guy who said we should deack the field first - I suggest you look at the various guncam vids available, almost all show intact ack while they are attacking fields. They aren't deacking, they are going for planes on the ground, supplies etc.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 09:46:22 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2006, 10:30:37 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
For the guy who said we should deack the field first - I suggest you look at the various guncam vids available, almost all show intact ack while they are attacking fields. They aren't deacking, they are going for planes on the ground, supplies etc.

Yes, but our ack doesnt have the ability to lose its resolve and run for cover.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2006, 10:34:37 PM »
I dont like the idea at all
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
why waste time on this
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2006, 10:38:22 PM »
When you should first make porking a base harder. As it is now your side out numbered   both teams will up la7s kill all your troops ! lone plane shouldn't be able to kill all troops at base. Make troop killing 3k or more and that would improve game play. no sides kill troops most bases hunt goons over only base left in 262's .  but then its just a thought.

As for suggestion i can see it now last building dead drop troops   oh watermelon   he augered wait damn i already started drop. Great now troops dead at our base $%&&&#!^#$!^!&! hitech.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
An Unrepentent Porker
« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2006, 11:31:28 PM »
Have to admit it myself - I was out porking troops tonite at 43 and 44 to take the pressure off 42 which the rooks had capped.  At least I had enough grace to take a Ki-84 over and do it though - none of this suicide 4 engine bomber junk.

It is a legitimate, strategic defensive tactic when your side it outnumbered.  It just shouldn't be as easy, or work for as long as it does.  I don't think HT's timer idea would stop me at all - it would just make me take up a 51 or Tiffie and run away for a couple of minutes after a bomb run on troops or ord.  

Harden the Ord to 3K bombs per, lessen the time troops are porked down to 15 minutes per run, and a good portion of the problem will be solved.  Increase the effectiveness of airfield ack (bigger guns or a lot more of em) and another portion will be solved by making it tougher for a single plane to pork the field.

If somebody wants to stop the porking after that is done, I'd suggest they up and put out a fighter screen to stop it.

EagleDNY
$.02

Offline Eagle327

• Copper Member
      • 327th Steel Talons
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2006, 02:11:55 AM »
I think this idea stinks.

At the risk of hurting some fighter pilots feelings, I think the previously "unnannouced" reduced bomb blast radius should be offset by a longer than 15 minutes hangar downtime.  Say 30 minutes.

Stop whining about land-grabbing.  If you read the game intro, getting started and strategic game play, capturing real estate is the foundation of the game and winning the war.

Do you fighter jocs know that a perfect 100% accurate bomber mission (not counting interceptor kills) only yields 1.75 perks when landed ?
I have to fly Spit XIV's just to keep my ranking under 2000.

The 327th relies on my B24's to kill the FHs & VHs while they de-strat the airbase and kill the town using Jabos and slick fighters.  This takes profound teamwork under present settings.  Which is one of the goals of the game.

I spend 30 to 45 minutes travelling across 3 or more sectors to gain a safe altitude for "pin-point" high alt daylight bombing.

Any hangar downtime reduction from other than re-supplying is totally unrealistic and I find insulting.

How many of you look forward to expending 45 minutes of your time getting to target only to have it wiped out because you got gang-banged at 20K.

The 8th Air Force would have been useless in WW2.

Eagle, Group XO
327th Steel Talons Squadrons
Eagle, Group XO
327th Steel Talons Squadrons

"Keep 'em level, Mates. Greasy side down."

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2006, 02:45:42 AM »
I like anything which reduces suicide porking.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2006, 02:59:11 AM »
No SIR, I don't like it. I don't like it at all. (for the Ren N Stimpy fans) :)
If you want to stop the dive bombing buffs (etc) then shoot them down.  Cripes how about defending your territory?  
I would be all for hardening the hangers and then having them stay down longer but IMO this is a terrible idea.
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Re: An Unrepentent Porker
« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2006, 05:13:53 AM »
Originally posted by EagleDNY
Have to admit it myself - I was out porking troops tonite at 43 and 44 to take the pressure off 42 which the rooks had capped.  At least I had enough grace to take a Ki-84 over and do it though - none of this suicide 4 engine bomber junk.

It is a legitimate, strategic defensive tactic when your side it outnumbered.  It just shouldn't be as easy, or work for as long as it does.  I don't think HT's timer idea would stop me at all - it would just make me take up a 51 or Tiffie and run away for a couple of minutes after a bomb run on troops or ord.  

Harden the Ord to 3K bombs per, lessen the time troops are porked down to 15 minutes per run, and a good portion of the problem will be solved.  Increase the effectiveness of airfield ack (bigger guns or a lot more of em) and another portion will be solved by making it tougher for a single plane to pork the field.

If somebody wants to stop the porking after that is done, I'd suggest they up and put out a fighter screen to stop it.

EagleDNY
$.02

Same here Eagle.  Dogg and myself were doing it as well last night but we were at 20k with B24's and 1k eggs.  So, roughly 1k-3k of eggs were dropping at a time (depends on how many planes you have).  Being able to straff down the ords and troops in two passes is a joke.  You should need at least 500lbs -1k of eggs before those go down.  It might slow a field capture process a bit, but it will slow down the porking and suicides.  Yeah it is thier life and thier $15 a month.  But it is cowardish to see guys do it over and over again... nothing like getting off the runway and set up for a shot and the guy bails, and then you look back and your field is compleatly porked by that lone Lgay.... :rolleyes:
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Docc

• Copper Member
« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2006, 09:17:28 AM »
I have to go along with Widewing and Moil.  At least their solution is more 'realistic' compared to a game timer.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2006, 09:32:20 AM »
There is a continuum with taking fields so very easily at one end and making fields impossible to take at the other.

As you lads try to push the maker from one end of the field to the other, do you ever stop to consider the overall effect on gameplay?

Push the marker nearly to the "impossible to take" end and what do you get? Stalemate. Or hordes of 200 trying to take one field. With what effect on server and framerate with 200 attackers and 200 defenders in one sector?

I think everybody needs to step back and shift a little macro rather than being so micro.

Gameplay sucks to be sure. Is making fields even harder to take going to make it worse?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2006, 09:33:07 AM »
While I appreciate the drive to continually re-evaluate the game and its different aspects, I must cast my vote against this suggestion.

Thank you just the same for considering new ideas, though.

NCLawMan
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.