Author Topic: Saw Flags of our fathers tonight.  (Read 2360 times)

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
Saw Flags of our fathers tonight.
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2006, 09:12:31 PM »
Uhhmmm - did I miss something or was racism not one of the major themes of the film?

Maybe if everyone stopped reading the Guardian, it'd just go away.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2006, 09:13:19 PM »
The Flags of our fathers website has some nice shots in the photo section, more in the behind the scene the the other.

Site

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2006, 09:14:14 PM »
Originally posted by RightF00T
Not everyone is happy about it....

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Guardian/0,,1928009,00.html

I didnt read the whole little rant trying to soil a very well done movie.

But Flags had Black americans in it.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2006, 03:29:56 AM »
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2006, 04:24:38 AM »
was alright.  

a bit over-acted in parts i thought.

too many familiar war movie faces i felt.

the pilot views rocked.  i could watch an hour of that and be in awe.  i hope that they do a good ww2 pacific dogfight movie with all new technology they have.  would be sweet to watch.  loved the way they rumbled.

great scenery from the gun-nests.

overall, a nice tribute.  not the caliber of the original "sands of iwo jima" starring john wayne as lt. stryker.  

imho.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2006, 05:19:31 AM »
Here is Iwo Veterans thought on the movie:
http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-et-flags21oct21,0,3132862.story?coll=cl-movies

Hy "Doc" Rabeck, 83, a Navy corpsman who had been in combat in North Africa, Saipan and Tinian before Iwo Jima, was particularly pleased with how "Flags" portrayed the Navy medics who follow Marines into combat.

The lead character, played by Ryan Phillippe, is John "Doc" Bradley, a Navy corpsman who helps raise the flag and is sent home to participate in a bond drive as the War Department seeks to capitalize on the surviving flag-raisers' fame.

"The corpsman [character] was exactly right, the guys on the beach were depending on us," Rabeck said. "You'd hear a scream, 'Corpsman,' and then another scream, 'Corpsman,' and you were on the run again."

Tickets were dispensed to mark the gravely wounded for immediate evacuation. "They gave me 50 tickets. They were gone in the first three hours."

The movie also captured the sense of dread felt by troops as they waited to assault a rocky, heavily fortified island, the veterans agreed.

"We could see it was strictly a suicide mission," Rabeck said. "We knew that most of us wouldn't be coming back."

While some movie-goers might be squeamish at scenes of blood and death, the veterans found them realistic, even vital.

"As we got out of the landing craft, I saw eight dead Marines, right at my feet," said retired Master Sgt. William Behana, 81, who was a 19-year-old private when he landed on Iwo Jima. "Nobody has good memories of Iwo Jima."

And here:
http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-20/1161491226133180.xml&coll=7#continue

Here:
http://www.masslive.com/living/republican/index.ssf?/base/living-1/116141658819370.xml&coll=1

And what they said:
"Charles E. Allard of South Hadley and Donald F. Withee of West Springfield remember it well.

They were there long enough to recall the horrors of Iwo Jima, brought back larger than life yesterday by Clint Eastwood's movie, which is showing at the Entertainment Cinemas on St. James Avenue and elsewhere.

"It was very hard," said Allard, a Navy veteran who was a medical assistant aboard the hospital ship USS Fayette.

"When you get 100 casualties brought aboard at a time, you see everything," he recalled. "You couldn't do triage. It was all bad. You took care of one after another."

Allard and Withee both gave the 2-hour, 23-minute film a top rating. "

Here:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Oct-19-Thu-2006/news/10306081.html

"Except for an occasional tear and once in a while a chuckle from his raspy voice, Iwo Jima veteran Chet Foulke sat stoically while the movie screen flashed scenes from one of the bloodiest battles in World War II.

Like those in the Marine Corps League who joined the lanky, 84-year-old veteran for a special viewing Tuesday night, Foulke was gripped by what he described as the realistic authenticity of Clint Eastwood's film, "Flags of Our Fathers.""

Sais quite a bit I think ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2006, 08:25:10 AM »
Originally posted by RightF00T
Not everyone is happy about it....

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Guardian/0,,1928009,00.html

Awwwe Damn shame.

30,000 troops were used in the initial landings. Eventually that number would swell to 70,000
 Source
And he is upset that none of the 900 blacks were represented?

Not even 1/30th of the troops in the initial landing, and less then 1/70th of the overall troops used were black.
Its not like they were EVERYWHERE.

Not to make light of their contribution.
But they dont HAVE to be included in every historical movie made.
Particularly one where they played such a relitively small role in the overall numbers.

Besides. What does it matter. A marine is a marine is a marine right
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 08:31:27 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2006, 08:28:22 AM »
There were blacks in the shootings if my memory serves me.
Since it's still a bit hard to find a black Icelander, AFAIK they were mostly from the U.S. base in Keflavik.
But I recall a few.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2006, 08:47:41 AM »
to some.... everything is about race... those are the people I avoid whenever possible.

lazs

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2006, 10:15:01 AM »
It is a non-issue.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2006, 10:33:51 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
to some.... everything is about race... those are the people I avoid whenever possible.

lazs

Agreed
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2006, 10:41:38 AM »
"Not even 1/30th of the troops in the initial landing, and less then 1/70th of the overall troops used were black."

600 extras, that would mean some 10 guys, which I belive were around, if not more.
None of the flagraisers or their close camerades were blacks, so this black point is no point. Invalid.

What's next? Black Vikings, LOL

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2006, 10:56:40 AM »
Originally posted by JB88
was alright.  

a bit over-acted in parts i thought.

too many familiar war movie faces i felt.

the pilot views rocked.  i could watch an hour of that and be in awe.  i hope that they do a good ww2 pacific dogfight movie with all new technology they have.  would be sweet to watch.  loved the way they rumbled.

great scenery from the gun-nests.

overall, a nice tribute.  not the caliber of the original "sands of iwo jima" starring john wayne as lt. stryker.  

imho.

It was Sergeant Stryker.

Sands was a great movie, but not even in the same league in IMO.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2006, 10:57:32 AM »
Originally posted by Angus
"Not even 1/30th of the troops in the initial landing, and less then 1/70th of the overall troops used were black."

600 extras, that would mean some 10 guys, which I belive were around, if not more.
None of the flagraisers or their close camerades were blacks, so this black point is no point. Invalid.

What's next? Black Vikings, LOL

It gives them something to cry about Angus is all.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2006, 10:58:14 AM »
i think i remember a viking movie with Sidney Poitier in it....