Author Topic: The night witches  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
The night witches
« on: October 31, 2006, 04:10:15 PM »
In the spirit of All Hallow's  , I thought id bring ya the story of the Night Witches .

In 1942 the Soviet Union formed three regiments of women combat pilots who flew night combat missions of harassment bombing. They flew obsolete Polikarpov Po-2 biplanes, that were otherwise used as trainers, and which could only carry 2 bombs that weighted less than a ton altogether. They were so successful and deadly the Germans feared them, calling them "Nachthexen"—night witches.

THE NIGHT WITCHES'S TACTIC

The Witches would fly to a certain distance of the enemy encapments that were to be the target, and cut their engine. They would then glide silently, silently... When the Fascists started to hear the whistle of the wind against the Po-2's wing bracing wires, they realized in panic that it was too late. The Night Witches would sneak up on them and release their bombs, then restart their engines and fly away home.

More ..
http://pratt.edu/~rsilva/witches.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
The night witches
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 04:46:35 PM »
cool:noid :aok

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
The night witches
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 06:05:02 PM »
OHYEAH!

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
The night witches
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 06:32:54 PM »
Nice Post!

Thanks!:aok

Regards,
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
The night witches
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 08:00:38 PM »
Cool!

Good story.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
The night witches
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 08:11:33 AM »
Good history.  Thanks.

"The Night Witches" would be a good name for an all-female rock band.

Offline Tigeress

• Silver Member
The night witches
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 01:11:01 PM »
The following is a repost of a post I made on another thread here some time back...

Ripsnort just alerted me to this thread...

Thanks Ripsnort!

TIGERESS

............................. ............................. ............................. ....
A well kept secret of the Allies during WWII was... almost one thousand women flew combat missions in WWII against the Axis.

They had their share of Fighter Aces among them.

Also, some of the bravest women combat pilots were found with the all-female 588th Night Bomber Air Regiment, known as the “Night Witches.” Despite being equipped with slow, obsolete PO-2 biplanes, during the course of the War, they conducted an incredible 24,000 missions behind enemy lines, and delivered 23,000 tons of bombs from their fragile wood-and-fabric aircraft. Though their casualty rate was high, so was their recognition by a grateful nation. A total of 30 citations for “Hero of the Soviet Union”, Russia’s highest honor (The USSR's equivalent of the USA's Medal of Honor), were given to women in the Soviet Air Force, 23 of which were earned by the 588th “Night Witches.”

An image of Night Witches' Polikarpov Po-2/U-2 stealth Bomber flown by
the Night Witches who were known to the Germans as "Das Nachthexen"

Most of their Po-2s were unarmed except for their ordnance, but some carried a 7.62mm machine gun on a swivel-mount in the observer's position in the rear.

BTW, the Po-2 was a WWII stealth bomber...

The Po-2 would pass often undetected by the night fighters' radar, because of the mildly radar absorbing nature of the canvas surfaces, and the fact that mostly they flew near the ground. German planes equipped with infrared seekers would not see the little heat generated by the small, 110 horsepower engine.

Searchlights, however, were another story. The Germans at Stalingrad developed what the Russians called a "flak circus". They would bring out the flak guns that had been hidden during the day, and lay them in concentric circles around probable targets, and the same with the searchlights. Po-2s crossing the perimeter in pairs in the straight line flight path typical of untrained but determined Russian flyers were usually ripped to pieces by the Flak 37 guns. The 588th, however, developed another tactic. They flew in formations of three. Two would go in first, attract the attention of the searchlights, and when all of them pointed to them in the sky, separate suddenly in opposite directions and maneuver wildly to try to shake them off. The German searchlight operators would follow them, while the third bomber who was farther back snuck in through the darkened path made by her 2 comrades and hit the target unopposed. She would then get out, rejoin with the other two, and they would switch places until all three had delivered their payloads. It took nerves of steel to be a decoy and willingly attract enemy fire, but as Nadya Popova said: "It worked."

They had served so exemplarily throughout the whole war that they participated in the final onslauqht on Berlin.

I, for one, would like to have such a stealth bomber in the MA with no little red dots following them around on the enemies radar!
From what I have read, the 109s and 190s stall speed was faster than the Po-2's top speed, which made shooting down the agile Po-2 very difficult.

Question: Now, why was the role of women pilots kept such a secret during the war? hahahahahaha...

Answer: Some men's egos can't handle being bested, or defended, by a woman...

A real man can give credit where credit is due.

HWELTE, a book by Roy McShane about The White Rose and the Night Witches

CheckSix

TIGERESS
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:22:13 PM by Tigeress »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The night witches
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 01:26:48 PM »
Originally posted by Tigeress

Question: Now, why was the role of women pilots kept such a secret during the war? hahahahahaha...

Answer: Some men's egos can't handle being bested, or defended, by a woman...

A real man can give credit where credit is due.

TIGERESS

Hey, as long as you make me breakfast, wash my clothes, get the kids off to school on time, and service m...ahhhh... you can go bomb anyone you want. :aok :cool:

:D j/k of course!(for the most part! ;) )
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:30:52 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline Tigeress

• Silver Member
The night witches
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 01:59:55 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Hey, as long as you make me breakfast, wash my clothes, get the kids off to school on time, and service m...ahhhh... you can go bomb anyone you want. :aok :cool:

:D j/k of course!(for the most part! ;) )

hahahahaha!!!!!!!! I can??? Oh how fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait! If I am on deployment you get to do all that stuff!

While I bomb those bad boys!

TIGERESS

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
The night witches
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 08:09:15 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Hey, as long as you make me breakfast, wash my clothes, get the kids off to school on time, and service m...ahhhh... you can go bomb anyone you want. :aok :cool: )

"Put another log on the fire.
Cook me up some bacon and some beans.
And go out to the car and change the tyre.
Wash my socks and sew my old blue jeans.
Come on, baby, you can fill my pipe,
And then go fetch my slippers.
And boil me up another pot of tea.
Then put another log on the fire, babe,
And come and tell me why you're leaving me.

Now don't I let you wash the car on Sunday?
Don't I warn you when you're gettin fat?
Ain't I a-gonna take you fishin' with me someday?
Well, a man can't love a woman more than that.
Ain't I always nice to your kid sister?
Don't I take her driving every night?
So, sit here at my feet 'cos I like you when you're sweet,
And you know it ain't feminine to fight.

So, put another log on the fire.
Cook me up some bacon and some beans.
Go out to the car and lift it up and change the tyre.
Wash my socks and sew my old blue jeans.
Come on, baby, you can fill my pipe,
And then go fetch my slippers.
And boil me up another pot of tea.
Then put another log on the fire, babe,
And come and tell me why you're leaving me."

:D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
The night witches
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 08:17:32 AM »
(Kinky Friedman)

You uppity women I don’t understand
Why you gotta go and try to act like a man,
But before you make your weekly visit to the shrink
You’d better occupy the kitchen, liberate the sink.

Get your biscuits in the oven and your buns in the bed
That’s what I to my baby said,
Women’s liberation is a-going to your head,
Get your biscuits in the oven and your buns in the bed.

Early every morning you’re out on the street
Passing out pamphlets to everyone you meet.
You gave up your Maiden Form for Lent
And now the front of your dress has an air scoop vent.

Every single brakeman that’s ever come along
Had a little woman always tellin’ him that he’s wrong.
Eve said to Adam, “Here’s an apple you horse�?
And Delilah defoliated Samson’s moss.

Mean-hearted harpies are breaking all the laws
Tearing up their girdles and a-burning up their bras,
Now the air is dirty and the sex is clean
And your coffee makes my hair turn green.

So damn emancipated in your mind and your body,
Gonna have to cancel all your lessons in karate.
If you can’t love a male chauvinist
You’d better cross me off your shopping list.

Gotta love old Kinky :D
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
The night witches
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 08:20:44 AM »
course... after the war was over and the soviets had enough men pilots to go around...  there were no women fighter pilots.    None in korea and none in vietnam.

lazs

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
The night witches
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 08:25:21 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
none in vietnam.
lazs

The Russians are touchy about things like that. :)

Awaits Boreoda.  :aok
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
The night witches
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 08:27:34 AM »
posted by Tigeress quoting Roy McShane
... German planes equipped with infrared seekers would not see the little heat generated by the small, 110 horsepower engine.

Huh? Someone want to tell me more about this?
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Tigeress

• Silver Member
The night witches
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 10:09:16 AM »
Hiya Jackal1 and Culero,

Both very cute poems! :aok

Sums up a lot of the male side of the equation!

Irascible ole chauvinists need love too! hugs

I'm not a bra-burning femininist Lazs might have initially thought I was.
I trust he now knows better than that.

And also, I am not a "Stepford Wife" nor a "Cherry 2000". We are females of the human species... no less human than the males of the human species.
Male is the dominate gender but, often, female is under estimated.

I think men are great... a bit pre-occupied with reproductive matters and egos but then... God Bless 'em ...no one is perfect. :p ..and I wouldn't change them. :)

The USSR was very hard pressed for pilots in WWII ...Much much more so than the US or Great Britain.

The US had active duty and very well trained women flying daily during the war for the USAAF who flew every type of plane in service including P51-D Mustang fighter planes and B-17G heavy bombers.

Had the need arisen, those women of the USAAF would have gotten into their planes, started their engines, and flown off into harm's way and delivered their bullets and bombs on target... just as women of today now do for the US Armed Services in IRAQ.

Women of the US Armed Forces have been serving in certian combat roles for quite a while... with the full self-knowledge and understanding that some of them won't come back. They do it anyway... not to deny their gender or to change the world... rather, to be patriots and defenders of what they consider theirs... the USA... it really is that simple.

I don't think the women of the USAAF had their priorities wrong... it wasn't about the War of the Sexes... It was about defending the Homeland... our beloved Country... just as it was for Das Nachthexens, AKA The Night Witches, and the Russian female fighter pilots ...it was about their love and devotion for their Motherland.

If needed, woman can get the job done... not just in the kitchen and by our man's side but also in the skies. An airplane does not know if it's pilot is male or female... it just does what you tell it to do.

Under estimating the vastness of human potential is not the smartest play.
We don't live to fight in a war... we will fight in a war if need be, to live... in freedom ...and protect that which we consider ours.

This is not a reflection on the men by our side... it is our gift, should the need arise.

I give you guys my sincere respect... you deserve it... for a lot of reasons.

TIGERESS
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 11:17:05 AM by Tigeress »