Author Topic: Horde Mentality  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Anyone

• Copper Member
Horde Mentality
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 11:05:30 AM »
Originally posted by storch
it bears repeating.  the MA is the place where people will pork the stationary and flee from anything that moves.  players such as akak, sehob, grim, kev367 and others of their ilk such as every BoP are just not fun to play against because they suck.  they hang out in hordes or in the ack or in the akakosphere or any two of the former.  but it's their $14.95 so they can be light on the loafers if they so choose.

get a clue before you post.

Offline Berra85

• Copper Member
Horde Mentality
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 11:07:27 AM »
I quite enjoy going into a 1v1 or sometimes fights where I am outnumbered (2v1) The reason I like doing it is because it make me think about what I am doing and improves SA IMO.

I must admit though a week or so ago I ran from an early 109 while I was in a N1k2-J. I see him completely out do a La7. I had 7 kills (very rare for me) and wanted to land them :o

UNI

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
Horde Mentality
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 11:14:21 AM »
I'll be the first to admit that I am not a fighter pilot, still trying to gain the experience and find a plane that I enjoy flying.  But I agree with all of you all I see anymore is 10 v 1 or 1v1vAck.  I'll admit I have ran from a fight, actually last night LA7 chasing my Stuka.  It was pretty much my only option.  But the night before I was flying a 51 going round and round up and down with a 38, and it was a good fight, until the horde noticed.  5 other planes joined in and ulitimately got the 38.  The real pisser is one friendly plane that had a little more E dove in right over the canopy and blocked any chance of a kill.  So I peeled off so the poor gent in the 38 didn't have 6 planes following him.  I climbed to 20k and just flew till the drop tanks were dry.  I'm not sure who the 38 pilot was, but I salute you.  It was some real fun. <>
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Horde Mentality
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 11:25:48 AM »
Originally posted by 5PointOh
I I climbed to 20k and just flew till the drop tanks were dry.  I'm not sure who the 38 pilot was, but I salute you.  It was some real fun. <>

You dog fight with drop tanks on?
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Horde Mentality
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 11:30:35 AM »
Originally posted by republic
The most thrilling combat, is a 1v1.  Whether I win or lose, a good no HO 1v1 is what I play this game for.

I've spent 5+ minutes twisting and turning and getting a hand cramp trying to take out a few skilled pilots like Oldman, Platano, Tcfks, Storch/WildSau/Tbarone (back in my Grupul 7 days), TheBug, MVJester...and many others.  There are lots of good sticks out there who want nothing more than a great, no cheap shot, fight.  They are excellent pilots, which makes you want to take the HO/Run/Horde...but if you'll actually take the time to fight them....though you may end up in the tower time and time again...you'll come out of it a better pilot.

I think every new pilot should spend the week on the wing of a veteran.  A sort of apprenticeship.  If you take the time to learn proper combat maneuvers...you won't need to always use hit and run tactics.

You think a Jug is only for BnZ and porking?  I dare you to get into a turn fight with Platano...  N1K's have far more tricks up their sleeves than HO's...same with the LA7's.  To use them as purely HO machines is almost an insult to the craftsmanship that went into them.

Course...some people just want to see their name in pretty lights...it's their $$.

What stops you from going head to head in the DA?

When I'm walking through a crowded mall or crowded street I wish that eveyone would stay to their right.  But I know that there will always be some people that do not subscribe to my thoughts on pedestrian traffic etiquette.  So I accept this even though I know that if everyone stayed on their side things would flow more smoothly.

In real life I don't have the luxury of having a place where I can participate in smooth flowing pedestrian traffic.  

In AHII the MA is apparently not a place where people who want a good fight can go to find one.  The DA is.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Horde Mentality
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 11:32:27 AM »
it bears repeating.  the MA is the place where people will pork the stationary and flee from anything that moves.  players such as akak, sehob, grim, kev367 and others of their ilk such as every BoP are just not fun to play against because they suck.  they hang out in hordes or in the ack or in the akakosphere or any two of the former.  but it's their $14.95 so they can be light on the loafers if they so choose.

Come now, Stench.

You know you get your rocks off when you single-handedly bust up one of the BoP horde raids. :rolleyes:

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
Horde Mentality
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 11:38:58 AM »
Originally posted by Fulmar
You dog fight with drop tanks on?

I'll go 50 fuel and take long sweeps in hopes I'l find a lone fighter, during the flight I'll drain the wing tanks, then move onto the drops. Its my attempt to make the plane lighter.  If I need to then I'll lose the drops in battle, but most of the time I wont have to.   If this is a bad theroy let me know, more of an attacker than a fighter pilot.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Horde Mentality
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 11:41:49 AM »
KoTH this coming weekend!   (and I've got to run a .50 cal range for the Reserves......darn it!)   Not always 1 v 1, but close, and the challenge of different planes (well, sometimes).

Only place you'll get the 1 v 1 you want on a regular basis is the Dueling Arena, or by conducting training in TA for noobs.  

I don't have very good fighter numbers.... guess I don't know when to run.  I'll make an attempt to disengage and ditch when I'm seriously pilot wounded, missing various important parts (like a wing), or engine locks up.

But, don't see many good 1 v 1 any more.  Don't see very many lead-wing teams either, working well together.  Five or 6 all chasing 1 plane.... yeah, that I still see.   All firing past one another.

The War Arenas are what you make of them.  In LW, I tend to pick a lower sided country and play defense these days.  Took a C.205 up the other day to go and defend a CV which got me 3 kills, a few assists, and a crash land on the CV deck.  It was some fun.  I suppose you could force a fight in EW or MW against someone running a JABO mission, with no horde to run to, and you had the E to keep them from running away.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
Horde Mentality
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 11:46:31 AM »
Originally posted by Donzo
What stops you from going head to head in the DA?

In my experience the DA is a place for people to squirt their machismo all over the place...not a place for a good fight.  Merely a place so film something so you can go into the MA and yell "<--- owns XXX  I got the film to prove it!!!11oneeleven"

The AvA used to be the place to go...but a long month or so of bad setups, and now broken maps...have left it a ghost town.

There is hope for the MA...I still occasionally find a few good sticks...  Just wondering why each day the fights grow less skill based, and more towards hordes...
P-47 pilot

Offline republic

• Silver Member
Horde Mentality
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 12:00:57 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
[B}Don't see very many lead-wing teams either, working well together.[/B]

That is something I REALLY miss.  When JG 54 ups, we try to have some semblance of a formation much of the time....at least a few lead/wingman pairs.

I've always wanted to run into a hostile wing...rather than a huge line of discombobulated cons spread out like a horde of locusts.  And similar to locusts...they all attack the same poor shmo...kinda like the seagulls from the movie Finding Nemo "MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE!"

This is the sound I hear in my head, for your reference.
P-47 pilot

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
Horde Mentality
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 12:02:10 PM »
they need to have an official burial of the "old ways" . Except the fact that if you do not make your kill with .5 seconds of engagement every friendly in the area will immediately jump on your con and ignore the 3 behind you,  as well as the 10 more inbound. You will get gangraped if you choose to fly at low alt or follow a target below 7k. THERE IS NO such thing as a one on one or any type of gentlemanly play anymore. Every con you meet will instantly run if you have more alt or you outmerge him on the turn...

Except these facts and anything else that happens for the better is a bonus. Platano and I fought for a good 5 minutes with no interruptions, no ho shots, and no cherrypicks or gangrapes..was the best fight ive had in 2 years. Good things will happen but most of the time you shouldnt believe anyone has any chivalry.

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
Horde Mentality
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 12:09:11 PM »
80% of my time in AH today is fighting with a disadvantage. In the last 6 months its been hard to find a good even fight and most of the time it will last only a few seconds then their in pieces.

My daily habit is to look for the largest dar bar up a spit 16. Climb out to 4-6k go around the furball and look for high cons. Pull a couple out kill them rinse and repeat.

The best time i have in AH today is upping from capped fields. That's when you really get that feeling that your in a fight to the death.

I do still have great fights with some vets. Its just harder to pick them out from the sea of newbs.

I really do see a lack of skilled pilots. I think that skill levels are really displaced in today's AH. We all were newbs but i really think their is more around than in the past.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Horde Mentality
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 12:38:32 PM »

Yawn.

I would suggest to prevent further verbal running brown smelly stuff -

Stick to your little group of "we're better than them" in the Ghost town err AVA arena.

Just shows how much you know.
Our guys will more often than not be at a base against the hoard, or in a small group diving into a base thats capped.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:41:51 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Horde Mentality
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 12:47:23 PM »
Originally posted by jaxxo

Except these facts and anything else that happens for the better is a bonus. Platano and I fought for a good 5 minutes with no interruptions, no ho shots, and no cherrypicks or gangrapes..was the best fight ive had in 2 years. Good things will happen but most of the time you shouldnt believe anyone has any chivalry.

And it's those fights that keep you coming back looking for more :)

You know when you found one most of the time, cause the guy doesn;t come at you guns a blazing for the HO but is nosing down for the merge.  As you pass him, you see him going vertical and you know 'fights on!"

Good times :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Horde Mentality
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 01:30:06 PM »
Originally posted by 5PointOh
I'll go 50 fuel and take long sweeps in hopes I'l find a lone fighter, during the flight I'll drain the wing tanks, then move onto the drops. Its my attempt to make the plane lighter.  If I need to then I'll lose the drops in battle, but most of the time I wont have to.   If this is a bad theroy let me know, more of an attacker than a fighter pilot.

Depends on the situation.  I guess if you're BnZ in a pony, I'd be okay with that.  You have the right strategy in make the wings lighter.  For me, the only time I keep my drop tanks on in combat is possibly taking on a buff formation because usually these are long trips and I need all the gas I can get, plus I'll be riding my 190a8, not the range king p51.  Many of times I've been shot down and then realize after the fight I had left my tank on.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either