Author Topic: completely unenjoyable  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Avenger8

• Zinc Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2007, 12:04:45 PM »
Hey Guppy, P-38G is my main ride too.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2007, 12:15:41 PM »
Originally posted by Avenger8
Hey Guppy, P-38G is my main ride too.

Glad to know there is another 38G convert.  My goal is to have everyone in em, while coating the arenas with my 38G parts :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2007, 12:17:08 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I assume you mean the P-51D.  I actually prefer the B.

B pony suffers still more.... yes it turns a smidge better but it only has 4 guns.

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2007, 12:17:09 PM »
pretty surprised by the numbers, and yea, I prolly am due for another break.
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2007, 12:19:14 PM »
I know theres some guys out there that still have the courage & skill to not fly trainer rides, I  them.
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2007, 12:22:29 PM »
Originally posted by FALCONWING
Preach it brother slapshot!!!!

love seeing some other vets recognizing what the real hatred of la7's stem from....:aok

The real hatred of AH la7  for me is that I feel they were made so easy to fly to help NEWBIES with the extreme AH learning curve. Unfortunately there is no system keeping 6-7 year vets from "slumming" in them.

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Current tour plane usage:

Spit XVI and LA have only 11.9 % combined.

But 4 planes out of 74 account for 1/4 of all planes flown, pretty much every tour:  La-7, Pony-D, Niki, and Spit-16.

I also see a lot of C-Hawgs some tours, but it's been off in numbers the last two tours that I checked.

Last tour, the top four planes accounted for about 24% of all flown.
The next 28 planes accounted for about 57% of those flown in the 1 to 3% range per plane, and where many bombers, carrier planes, 110's, and goons are found in use.
The next 31 planes accounted for just under 17% of planes flown in the 1% down to .25% per plane.
The lowest 11 planes accounted for less than 2% flown, all under .25% per plane:  Spit-1, Me 163, Boston, SBD, Stuka (Give us the G conversion!), P-40B, C.202, Bf 109E-4, Kate, Val (Judy, where art thou!), and the Arado (only perk buff ride) dead last.

It's sad because there are a lot of other great rides in the game players are missing out on.  Where's the challenge of flying ENY 5 planes all the time?
Well, it's their nickel; they paid to play.   And if the choice is for me to engage a high eny plane in a furball, or a "uber-ride"..... well..... I love taking Spit-16's out from under their pilot's seats whenever I can.

And for you score jocky's out there: Mine has been between 500 and 700 most of this tour.  I'm not that great of a stick, but flying higher ENY planes does wonders for your scores and perk points if you like those things, but don't frequent the milkrunner arenas other than to mess up some one else's score.

Why fly an La7 when you can take an La5 (ENY 20).  I actually like the Pony-B (ENY 20) more than the Pony-D in the game.  The Ki-84 (ENY 15) is still my favorite turn fighter.  Yak-9T (ENY 25) and Yak9-U (ENY 20) are great little planes in base defense.  I've been flying the C.205 (ENY 20) a lot this past month with good results (I'm sorry the G.55 was never a contender in voting) -- I'm liking the C.205 in high alt (I love catching high ponies and splixteens hovering over a furball or capped field), combat patrols, and in anti-bomber roles.

I used to fly B-17's a lot on older, larger maps in strat war, but these days my bombers are the IL-2 and A-20G (both ENY 25) ( since we won't be seeing the 'Vader).

If the game is becoming un-enjoyable, it's time to switch what you are doing, switch your AO on the map, switch sides, switch arenas, or step away from the game for a while.  I took a two+ month break from the game, and it can help.

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2007, 12:37:26 PM »
Originally posted by Atoon
The real hatred of AH la7  for me is that I feel they were made so easy to fly to help NEWBIES with the extreme AH learning curve. Unfortunately there is no system keeping 6-7 year vets from "slumming" in them.

you obviously see this as a furball/dogfiting game and i can understand where you are coming from...but the MA has many different facets and ways to play...you wish to bring a DA/AvA mentality to the MA and impose it (via insults and degrading comments) on a much more dynamic playing ground....

if the la7 was somehow modeled by HTC as a newbie training plane, then i missed that day and announcement...i dont think it is the easiest plane to fly..but i do think it is a tuff plane for vets to fly against....

i have always flown the best plane for the situation i am fighting in and i ALWAYS choose difficult fights...so i do NOT consider slumming as flying the best possible plane to accomplish my goals...

i actually consider slumming to be PURPOSEFULLY choosing the wrong plane to do well in a situation and hoping i run into less experienced pilots in better rides so i can "feel good" about myself (OR make then feel bad about themselves)...

Im NOT sure what one considers purposefully choosing a lesser ride and BERATING others for not doing the same thing when the same choices are available to all....:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:40:01 PM by FALCONWING »
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2007, 12:41:32 PM »
I fail to see what the  hub bub about the la7 is.  I understand its' strengths but it has weaknesses that are often exacerbated by the pilot's dependence on the plane's speed and said pilot's lack of acm knowledge.

These weaknesses are readily exploitable. Rev on a  La make him miss the HO and they are often at a loss of what to do next besides "extend"

Make an la7 overshoot and you often have a panicked pilot in front of your guns.

No, I'm  not claiming to be the expert on killing cartoon planes but I do OK against la7's in a plane that is slower, turns worse, rolls worse, climbs worse, and accelerates worse.  Maybe I'm just lucky.   :aok

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2007, 12:48:04 PM »
Originally posted by Atoon

So you are insinuating that the flight model of the LA-7 has been tweaked to help NEWBIES and that it really doesn't fall within the "correct" flight model for LA-7s like other planes ?

I drag my LA-7 out of the hanger for goon hunting or when I look out of the tower and see multiple 190s, 109s, P-51s, and Typhoons coming in with alt that need a spanking after their initial lame attempt at attacking the base.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
Fly it.
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2007, 12:49:22 PM »
Alot of actually good and valid points in this thead from both sides of the topic. I have the opposite affection for German planes than Falc does and fly them exclusively in Late War everynight.  Everybody plays differently, and always will.

There's: warwinners,landgrabbers,milkrunners,furballers,scoremongers,historytypesand  just plain old aviation freaks.  We have all kinds.  Who cares what the other guy is flying and why.  I'm a student stick at best and this tour I am currently at 115K to 12d and NONE of my rides made THE LIST.

The man makes the machine...Fight the man.  .
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:51:38 PM by Stampf »
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2007, 12:50:16 PM »
Excellent post tedrbr!

Falc- your plane use/choice is logical and likely not the la7s I would normally consider slumming. I admit I was painting with a broad brush when I made the slumming comment. I think vets in la7s taking on a whorde is perfectly acceptable. Its more often used AS THE WHORDE though.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2007, 12:53:39 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Current tour plane usage:
(Usage= Kills+Deaths)  
Plane           Kills   Deaths   K/D    Usage    %
P-51D           13753 13206 1.04 26959 6.4%
Spitfire Mk XVI 13341 12529 1.06 25870 6.2%
La-7        13243 10786 1.23 24029 5.7%
N1K2        13028 10942 1.19 23970 5.7%
SeaFire          6794 7967 0.85 14761 3.5%
F6F-5         6029 7383 0.82 13412 3.2%
Typhoon IB 7546 5199 1.45 12745 3.0%
Bf 110G-2 5116 7236 0.71 12352 2.9%
Lancaster III 2601 9621 0.27 12222 2.9%
(...)
Total       149445  168951          419224

Spit XVI and LA have only 11.9 % combined. [/B]

If you look back the last 3-4 tours the PonyD has overtaken the XVI and La7 as the most used plane.

STRANGE - PonyD is still an ENY of 8, every other reaching those heights had an ENY 5 slapped on it REAL FAST.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »
Originally posted by SteveBailey
No, I'm  not claiming to be the expert on killing cartoon planes but I do OK against la7's in a plane that is slower, turns worse, rolls worse, climbs worse, and accelerates worse.  Maybe I'm just lucky.   :aok

I kill PLENTY of LA7s, im prolly just lucky too. But that isnt the point of the thread.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
completely unenjoyable
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2007, 12:56:12 PM »
Originally posted by SteveBailey
I fail to see what the  hub bub about the la7 is.  I understand its' strengths but it has weaknesses that are often exacerbated by the pilot's dependence on the plane's speed and said pilot's lack of acm knowledge.

These weaknesses are readily exploitable. Rev on a  La make him miss the HO and they are often at a loss of what to do next besides "extend"

Make an la7 overshoot and you often have a panicked pilot in front of your guns.

Nope ... your not lucky ... your description is pretty much right on.

According to the stats that Lusche printed ...

La-7            13243   10786   1.23

The La-7 has a whopping K/D of 1.23 ... a real monster in my book ...  :rofl

When are people going to realize ... it's not the plane ... it's the pilot that makes a plane dangerous.

If a vet hands you your arse in an La-7 ... you can almost rest assured that he probably would have handed you your arse in just about any plane ... so it doesn't really matter in the long run.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."