Author Topic: TAKING A ENY POLL  (Read 7467 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: TAKING A ENY POLL
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2008, 11:29:28 AM »
But it would increase the value of flying for the lesser side.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2008, 11:39:35 AM »
That was tried before ENY limiting.  It didn't have an effect on balance.  It is still in effect.  You earn more perks by being on the low numbered side.  ENY is actually the value used to figure perk points, and just happens to be the value they decided to limit planes with afterwards.  Flying a high ENY plane earns perks faster.

Actually Im guessing I really don't understand what you're saying :)

I am not talking about earning more points but costing more. I'am wondering how many players that have so many points that this method would not effect them at all compaired to the general population in the game, and do those players have a higher tendency to horde, (if not ) then what is the problem with trying this in one arena to see how it would work. I realize trying this method is not as simple as how I'am portraying it here and I did not get into any details either at this point, but could this be tried.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:43:08 AM by DCCBOSS »
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline cbizkit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »
But it would increase the value of flying for the lesser side.
I agree with your assessment, but I bet the thread complaining about losing their perks would dwarf this thread.   :D There would probably have to be some type of exchange to keep people from freaking out over it and other then free flight time for perks lost I can't think of many options and thats quite unlikely.
biz
71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2008, 11:52:52 AM »

I am not talking about earning more points but costing more. I'am wondering how many players that have so many points that this method would not effect them at all compaired to the general population in the game, and do those players have a higher tendency to horde, (if not ) then what is the problem with trying this in one arena to see how it would work. I realize trying this method is not as simple as how I'am portraying it here and I did not get into any details either at this point, but could this be tried.

The perk multiplier works exactly like this. If, combined with ENY limits, it is not enough to create balance, it certainly won't do so by itself. This has been tried, and the results are known.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2008, 11:55:11 AM »
It wouldn't be fair.  People would complain some were treated more fairly (less unfairly) than them.  HTC would have to deal with an accusation of bias to some players, for however long the teeming masses of whiners would feel the righteous need to make it last.  The present situation is fair, and already people are borderline accusing HTC of bias.
It is simply not comprehensive enough and not a better alternative to what we already have.

The players with that many perks have a not-negligible proportion (just a guess on my part, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate) of more experienced sticks, and it's my experience that they can change a furball as much as ~3-6 green to average sticks.  Give them an uber plane and the effect increases proportionaly.  They wouldn't even need to horde, they'd be free radicals screwing with the homogeneous and predictable dynamics of "warfare" in the MA because nothing would stop them from being unevenly distributed, independently of overall numbers (since ENY-perk system as you propose means nothing to them)..
It didn't work before people had masses of perks, and it's going to work less now.

I agree with your assessment, but I bet the thread complaining about losing their perks would dwarf this thread.   :D There would probably have to be some type of exchange to keep people from freaking out over it and other then free flight time for perks lost I can't think of many options and thats quite unlikely.
Yep.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »

Generally they have all those perk points because they don't fly perked planes........
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2008, 01:01:48 PM »
Generally they have all those perk points because they don't fly perked planes........

For that past 2 years, I have got a huge share of my kills, in perked planes (Me 262, Me 163, Tempest). Actually I have way more kills in Tempest's than in every other plane by far. As still I have almost 5000 fighter perks.
The current ENY limiter stops me from flying perk planes when numbers go out of whack.
Just further increasing perk cost's and perking planes like La7, Spit XVI, 190-D9 would not. And while the price is going up, the chances to actually having to pay it (=losing my ride) go down with ever increasing numerical advantage of my team.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:04:55 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline cbizkit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2008, 01:07:43 PM »
And while the price is going up, the chances to actually having to pay it (=losing my ride) go down with ever increasing numerical advantage of my team.
Add a cost to take a perk plane at all to the larger side? A percentage of the total cost that is non-refundable on landing. That sounds worthwhile to me even in the existing system.
biz
71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2008, 01:10:27 PM »
Add a cost to take a perk plane at all to the larger side? A percentage of the total cost that is non-refundable on landing. That sounds worthwhile to me even in the existing system.

Still it enables the outnumbering side to have 262's and Tempests regardless of arena numbers. More worse, you will then only find goods sticks in them, while new/ lesser skilled players will again raid the BBS and complain about "HTC taking their freedom of choice away"

So it'S less valuable as a balancing tool, but the people that hate ENY now would still hate it then.  ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline cbizkit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
Still it enables the outnumbering side to have 262's and Tempests regardless of arena numbers. More worse, you will then only find goods sticks in them, while new/ lesser skilled players will again raid the BBS and complain about "HTC taking their freedom of choice away"

So it'S less valuable as a balancing tool, but the people that hate ENY now would still hate it then.  ;)
I was actually thinking the non-refundable perk cost would kick in before ENY kicked in such to entirely block the usage of the plane. Rough example, place the point at +2 ENY, so if ENY is at 3.0 then all ENY 5.0 and lower would have the non-refundable perk charge. Basically gives you two points of potential 'pain', one level where you start getting charged for your shiny perk ride, and another level where you can't actually fly it at all.

Of course, this also suggests modifying the ENY values of the plane set in order to make the new pain point worthwhile.

(I like to randomly muse about this stuff if you haven't noticed yet)
biz
71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Offline watanna

• Zinc Member
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »

YES:   GET RID OF  :devil

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2008, 03:10:06 PM »

It would appear you are suggesting that all of the planes be assigned a perk value. If that is the case, it would not be long before threads would be appearing here demanding a change because people are being denied the planes they want to fly, due to a lack of perks. A very large percentage of the players wouldn't be able to afford the planes they want to drive in a relatively short period of time.

BTW, if you REALLY want to affect change here...come here with a plan (demanding or polling for change does not qualify as a plan). Your plan should consider the pluses and minuses for the game and players (ALL of the players...not just you). I can tell you from experience, HT tends to go into vapor lock when you just start yelling for change. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #192 on: March 19, 2008, 03:23:24 PM »
It would appear you are suggesting that all of the planes be assigned a perk value. If that is the case, it would not be long before threads would be appearing here demanding a change because people are being denied the planes they want to fly, due to a lack of perks. A very large percentage of the players wouldn't be able to afford the planes they want to drive in a relatively short period of time.

BTW, if you REALLY want to affect change here...come here with a plan (demanding or polling for change does not qualify as a plan). Your plan should consider the pluses and minuses for the game and players (ALL of the players...not just you). I can tell you from experience, HT tends to go into vapor lock when you just start yelling for change. :)

POINT TAKEN
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2008, 04:15:18 PM »
I can tell you from experience, HT tends to go into vapor lock when you just start yelling for change. :)

but... but I just wanna buy a coke and the dollar changer is on the fritz.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #194 on: March 19, 2008, 05:25:04 PM »
I would like to show how many Aces high players are against the ENY, please respond by posting a reply to this post yes or no (YES-get rid of ENY), (NO-keep ENY)

NO